Red Headed Stepchild
(The Barrett family memoir of Navy Life)
by Sophie Ruth Meranski with photos


BETTER COPY just added August 17 at web p. 102 photo #1482 - Sharper and with Chester Peake, + Nelsons visible at right.Party for Captain and Mrs. Robert Hinckley of HANNIBAL, Panama City May 31, l934 p 13-101
P_A-N-A-M-A ___ Sophie and Jack Barrett are sitting at left of front row. Jack was Executive officer of survey ship HANNIBAL October l933 to September l935. Next to Sophie is guest of honor Captain Robert M. Hinckley, who was being relieved by Captain Gresham, who is next to him, then Mrs. Hinckley. Lieutenants Richard Visser and Mervin Halstead and Benny Crosser were in the group.Photo was taken in Panama City. Better original copy with additional portion at right of photo has been added to webpage 102 photo # 1482. According to following 1989 letter of Admiral Visser, photos of Jean and Paul Nelson appear in right segment: "postmark August 30 1989 Rear Admiral and Mrs. Richard Gerben Visser United States Navy Retired : Madrid Sunday 27 August '89 Dear John, Thank you for sending the pictures of Captain Hinckley's farewell party,- they bring back treasured memories. Except for commanding the SS DALY (DD519) during World War II, I think my tour on survey duty in the HANNIBAL was the most interesting and self satisfying of my naval career.As young officers we were given the responsibility we wanted, and we could see the results of our work. I reported to the ship just after New Years Day in 1934 and served nearly two years until October, 1935,before being transferred. To identify some of the people:- (1)standing in the aisle holding up his drink is Lieutenant jg "Red" Akin US Naval Academy 1929 a classmate; (2) beside him on his right is Mervin Halstead USNA 1930;(3) I am standing just behind Akin. I don't see Dr. Smith in the picture.4 Commander Gresham with the swollen left arm is Hinckley's relief and sitting between Commander and Mrs. Hinckley. (5) Sitting beside Mrs. Hinckley is Helen Akin, Red's wife; next (6) is Lieutenant C.B. Peake the Supply Officer. I forget the name of the attractive girl next. I dated her, and she was the sister of a flyer (Army Air Corps) at Albrook Field. Jean Nelson is the last girl seated, and her husband Paul is standing behind her. He is a classmate also. I hope you sent these pictures to Halstead, too, for he will appreciate them as do I. This year is the sixtieth anniversary of my USNA class of 1929, and we are celebrating our reunion on 25 and 26 October in Annapolis with homecoming following on the 27th and 28th.We're meeting with our daughter and grandson and cousins, so it should be a great reunion. Many thanks again for sending the pictures.I shall write to the Halsteads.I'm sorry they live out in California - too far to visit. Joanna joins in sending best regards.-- Dick Visser. In front row from left of picture are Jack and Sophie Barrett, Captain Robert Hinckley, his successor Captain Gresham, Mrs. Hinckley,Mrs. Helen Akin, Chester Peake, and unidentified lady, and Mrs. Gene Nelson, whose husband then-Lieutenant Paul Nelson is standing behind her. Lieutenants Red Akin, Richard Visser, and Mervin Halstead are standing in an aisle toward left of photo, Akin identifiable holding up a glass, Visser behind Akin, and Halstead next to Akin probably to photo-left, Akin's right.The following 1989 letter from Read Admiral Richard G. Visser identifies several other persons in the photo and lists Annapolis year of several.Year: 1934,May 31____ P_A-N-A-M-A ___ Sophie and Jack Barrett are sitting at left of front row. Jack was Executive officer of survey ship HANNIBAL October l933 to September l935. Next to Sophie is guest of honor Captain Robert M. Hinckley, who was being relieved by Captain Gresham, who is next to him, then Mrs. Hinckley. Lieutenants Richard Visser and Mervin Halstead and Benny Crosser were in the group.Photo was taken in Panama City. Additional portion at right of photo is in existence and will be added to website. According to following 1989 letter of Admiral Visser, photos of Jean and Paul Nelson appear in right segment: "postmark August 30 1989 Rear Admiral and Mrs. Richard Gerben Visser United States Navy Retired : Madrid Sunday 27 August '89 Dear John, Thank you for sending the pictures of Captain Hinckley's farewell party,- they bring back treasured memories. Except for commanding the SS DALY (DD519) during World War II, I think my tour on survey duty in the HANNIBAL was the most interesting and self satisfying of my naval career.As young officers we were given the responsibility we wanted, and we could see the results of our work. I reported to the ship just after New Years Day in 1934 and served nearly two years until October, 1935,before being transferred. To identify some of the people:- (1)standing in the aisle holding up his drink is Lieutenant jg "Red" Akin US Naval Academy 1929 a classmate; (2) beside him on his right is Mervin Halstead USNA 1930;(3) I am standing just behind Akin. I don't see Dr. Smith in the picture.4 Commander Gresham with the swollen left arm is Hinckley's relief and sitting between Commander and Mrs. Hinckley. (5) Sitting beside Mrs. Hinckley is Helen Akin, Red's wife; next (6) is Lieutenant C.B. Peake the Supply Officer. I forget the name of the attractive girl next. I dated her, and she was the sister of a flyer (Army Air Corps) at Albrook Field. Jean Nelson is the last girl seated, and her husband Paul is standing behind her. He is a classmate also. I hope you sent these pictures to Halstead, too, for he will appreciate them as do I. This year is the sixtieth anniversary of my USNA class of 1929, and we are celebrating our reunion on 25 and 26 October in Annapolis with homecoming following on the 27th and 28th.We're meeting with our daughter and grandson and cousins, so it should be a great reunion. Many thanks again for sending the pictures.I shall write to the Halsteads.I'm sorry they live out in California - too far to visit. Joanna joins in sending best regards.-- Dick Visser.P___A___N___A___M___A part i --- HANNIBAL main text P-A-N-A-M-A chapter In l933 in Boston Jack was at first disappointed when he received orders as Executive Officer of survey ship HANNIBAL operating on the west coast of Panama for eight months a year and spending four months in Norfolk, Virginia for repairs, smooth work on reports,and leave and liberty for the crew.For two years he had been a Lieutenant Commander on shore duty in Boston where he had command of the Reserve training ship EAGLE l9,before which he had been gunnery officer of the gunboat TULSA in TIENTSIN, China. a ship that had been at the dock much of the time,and now he wanted command of a combatant ship to help him qualify eventually for promotion to Commander. He told me that duty on the HANNIBAL would sidetrack him, hurt his chances of selection for promotion especially because of his age in grade overage because he was thirty-three when he received his first Regular Navy commission as Lieutenant. In the fall of l933 we went to Norfolk to report to the HANNIBAL, where his disappointment did not last long.He was challenged when the Executive officer he relieved told him, "You can spend a lot of time in your bunk. This ship runs itself." Jack was amazed to find that the civilian hydrographer and ship's officers usurped the Captain's cabin every evening for "conferences" on the next day's work.Immediately Jack reorganized the ship - he liked and admired Captain Robert Hinckley, the captain of the ship.Every afternoon Jack met with the Captain and the chief hydrographer- the Jack wrote out the orders for the next day, and there were no more evening meetings in the Captain's cabin.Thus the Captain and other ships' officers could have the evening to themselves for rest and relaxation.[NBK 2 p 249] Officially the home port of the HANNIBAL was Portsmouth, Virginia, but in fact the ship was there only in the fall and very early winter. for repair work and transcription of the year's survey results and for leave and liberty. Most of the year the ship was in waters on the Pacific coast of Panma and Costa Rica surveying largely uncharted waters.which were becoming of interest to the national governments and American commercial interests. The officers and crew were Reugular Navy, and the civilian hydrographic engineers from the Naval Hydrographic office supervised the surveying.Commander Robert Hinckley was the Commanding Officer of the HANNIBAL, Lieutenant Commander Jack Barrett was the Executive officer, Dr. Clarence Nickerson Smith was the medical officer, Lieutenant Commnader Chester Peake was the Supply Officer, Dan Candler was the navigator and a senior watch officer, and the small boats were run by Clarence Boyd, Ted Ascherfeld, Dutch Woefel, Paul Nelson, Dick Visser, Mervin Halstead, and "Red" Aiken. Benny Crosser was also aboard as First Lieutenant and a watch officer. Commander Gresham relieved Commander Hinckley was was then relieved by Jack and then by Commander John Garfield Stevens. Jack considered his Boatswain Pittman very capable. After we left, Pittman subsequently drowned in 1936. I planned to live in the Canal zone in Panama when the ship was down there, because the HANNIBAL came into Balboa every month or six weeks and stayed in Balboa about ten days. My husband inquired about military transportation for me, but as Portsmouth was the home port, we had to pay for the transportation 251 where I occupied a house reserved for a civilian family due to arrive in about a month. The only furnishings were the basic furniture and dishes supplied by the federal government to all civilian households in the Canal Zone. The house was overrun with cockroaches and giant spiders, and the iguanas lived on the roof. Clarence Boyd skipper of one of the small boats and his wife Mary who could find no place to live, stayed with us on Plant Street but soon found a place of their own in Ancon. They had a lively wire haired terrier named Mischief. On Plant St with nothing to do in that empty house I read Culbertson bridge book from cover to cover, really studying it and also read two large volumes on "The Life of John Marshall" The first Saturday night there Jack and I went to the Union Club with Captain and Mrs. Hinckley, with Navy friends the Foggs and with Army friends Major and Mrs. Robb. The Union Club in Panama City is a most romantic spot where you drink and dance under the moon and stars and where you and your money are soon separated. One Navy friend, after an evening there drove his car right onto the grass of a mid town Open monument square! When the family arrived to claim its home on Plant St I moved into the small bachelor quarters of a woman telephone operator who was going to the mainland for three months. Mary Boyd, Mary Ascherfeld, and I spent nearly every afternoon at Fort Amador an Army fort where we could swim because Army wire kept the sharks out of the area. One evening late in l933 [or early in l934] Jack and I were having dinner at the Heart of Ghent Hotel in Norfolk, Virginia, shortly before I sailed for Panama.Jack happened to look over to the far side of the dining room,jumped up suddenly, and rushed off with a happy smile on his face. For some time he talked animatedly with a couple who seemed as glad to see him as he was to see them.When he returned to the table he told me the man was a Revenue Cutter cadet at the same time he was- Commander William Keester of the Class of l9l0. Only five cadets were graduated in the class of l9l0, and Bill Keester was one of Jack's good friends.The next evening we went by invitation to see the Keesters at their home in Norfolk, and they spent several happy hours with Jack talking about the subsequent careers of their contemporaries. Jack saw Keester later in Washington when Jack went there to inquire about small Coast Guard boats for the USS HANNIBAL's survey work. Jack got two dories from the Coast Guard- boats that were invaluable in the treacherous surf in shallow survey areas on the western coast of Panama and Costa Rica.Jack found a fine group of officers on the HANNIBAL when he joined the ship in Norfolk October l933. Captain Hinckley was very well qualified. He was able, even-tempered, friendly, appreciative of the work of his officers and men and had a "happy" ship. In letters from many of the ships' officers including Dan Candler, Dick Visser,Mervin Halstead, Jack Agnew, Harry Ferguson, Paul Lehman, Lafayette Jones, Woelfel-they all agree that they worked hard on the HANNIBAL but considered those years among the happiest of their naval careers- they worked hard at sea and played hard when they came ashore in Panama.Dan Candler, the navigator had a jolly disposition, and no amount of painstaking works was too much for him.Dr. Clarence Nickerson Smith, had a real interest in tropical medicine and diseases and a most challenging job to keep the officers and men free of malaria and other tropical diseases. An efficient paymaster, Chester Peake, was liked by everyone and gave us an awful scare when he was desperately sick in a Panama hospital suffering from a severe case of malaria. Clarence Boyd, Ted Ascherfeld, Dick Visser,Mervin Halstead,Paul Nelson, "Red" Aiken were among the young officers who ran the small boats- motor launches, sub chasers, and dories. Harry Ferguson relieved Boileau as Engineer Officer. Mervin Halstead owned a small pit bear, cut down a poisonous tree which almost cost him his eyesight, and he discovered a previously uncharted pinnacle rock which they temporarily termed "Hinckley Rock", and later it was permanently named Heradura rock on the charts.It was a dangerous rock only six feet below the surface of the water.Captain Hinckley wrote from Washington DC in l970 that discovery of that "Pinnacle Rock" was the greatest thrill he had while aboard the HANNIBAL.Very soon after the first of the year in l934 I went to Panama on the SS CRISTOBAL where Ethel Smith shared a cabin with me.It was pleasant aboard, especially as Ethel knew a young Army officer.One night he was in the cabin when I wanted to go to bed, and I sensed that Ethel would be glad to have him leave.So I said, "Mr. ---will you kindly leave so we can go to bed?" He was incensed- not because I asked him to leave, but because I had addressed him as "Mr." He informed me that all Army officers, even Second Lieutenants were always given a title and told me to address him as "Lieutenant." He had no use for me the rest of that trip.(l57) Captain Hinckley was succeeded by Captain Gresham, who invited Jack and me to dinner aboard the HANNIBAL. Both Captain Hinckley and his succesor Captain Gresham wrote in fitness reports that Jack was a fine seaman, an excellent ship handler,an excellent organizer, and a highly satisfactory Executive officer.Jack knew that Captain Gresham was affected with cancer and did all he could for the Captain's comfort during the time Captain Gresham was in command (about June l934-April l935).When he left, Jack was in acting command early l935, and I remember standing on the dock watching Jack take the"White Swan" (as the HANNIBAL was known) out of Balboa bound for the survey area. It was done with skill and with consideration for his officers and men.I was pleased when the Chief Hydrographer in Washington wrote that the HANNIBAL had done its work well during the periods of Jack's command. While I was still in the telephone operator's apartment just before I went to live with Mary in Ancon (where we had the luncheon for the Freeman girls) the Pacific fleet came to Balboa. A constant stream of white- uniformed sailors passed my house to and from the YMCA which was right next door to me.In the evening I could hear he band music until the "Y" closed about eleven o;clock. I wrote to Jack, who was out in the Survey area when the Fleet came in - on April 24, l934, " When most of the taxis, buses, and trolleys bearing the one o'clock liberty parties departed Balboa for Panama City,I walked to the Post Office where I found a fat letter for me in Box 208.It was a happy girl who opened that letter, then sat down on the Post Office steps to spend some time with you.Although there are so many demands on your time and attention in that dangerous work,you make time to write to me.If appreciation counts, you are well rewarded.If I were busy, the time might not seem so long, but there is little for me to do when I have no husband to serve and such a good maid to serve me.Mary Boyd is all excited.. she got a message from Clarence saying they would leave on the ANCON in May for Annapolis, where Clarence will go to Post Graduate School.She is delighted to be going home. My good friend Helen Miller writes asking me to invite her to Panama in June as she wants to make a cruise from New York City. The powers-that-be have changed their minds about the length of the stay of the Fleet on this side of the Canal. Consequently the hostesses on this side of the Canal are wild with rage.It makes no difference to me because without you parties and receptions have no charm. They decided night before last to push the ships through the Canal as fast as possible in order to find out how long it would take in case of war.Ships started through early yesterday morning.The word is that all of them will have gone through before six o'clock tomorrow morning.Since the fleet officers have to be ready to leave or have already left,all receptions and parties remaining on the schedule have been cancelled.You and I were invited to dance at the governor's reception and to the dance at Fort Amador.The arrival of the Fleet last Saturday has made very little difference in my life.Mary Boyd refused all parties involving fleet officers- says Clarence would not approve.On Saturday morning Mrs. Corbin drove Mary and me to Fort Amador to watch the battleships PENNSYLVANIA and CALIFORNIA come in, followed by many other ships.That afternoon in the heat and blazing sun,hundreds of sailors in clean white uniforms passed our house.They came back before six o'clock, sober, quiet, cheerful, none the worse for wear.Saturday evening Mrs. Corbin drove me to the Union Club- as an extra lady.There were only a few Naval officers in her party- mostly senior officers.Sunday afternoon thousands of sailors passed our house.I suppose they were glad to be ashore, but I was sorry for them in the heat and glare.Since the arrival of the Fleet, I haven't taken the car out., as the traffic is wild.I am most interested in what you say about the performance of the self-bailer and of the dory - guess you are proud of them.-Sophie Barrett" In May I rented a large house until I was scheduled to go North in September l934.Helen Miller a New York City secretary who had worked with me at the Division of Publications of the Commonwealth Fund under Mary Augusta Clark a l903 Mount Holyoke alumna, visited me there.There was a big party at the hope of Captain Crapo the afternoon Helen arrived. Although Helen met many naval people, she was land-sick after travel. Soon the HANNIBAL came into port, and our paymaster helped us entertain her. ..l62 In September or October l934 I returned to Portsmouth, Virginia via the CRISTOBAL. We found an unattractive furnished apartment with a dark kitchen, but it had two bedrooms.Pa Barrett came down from Boston by train, stayed a week and went back by boat.We still have the enthusiastic account he wrote about his boat trip home.He and Jack drove around the Virginia countryside. They liked to talk with the peanut farmers, one of whom picked a handful of peanuts for Pa Barrett.He invited him to come back and pick all he wanted to take home with him to Boston, but Pa Barrett had trouble chewing peanuts with the few teeth he had left when he was almost eighty years old. The peanut-fed pigs were used to produce hams with a special flavor.Jack remembered about the indignation of the farmers when the New Deal and Henry Wallace "plowed little pigs under" to reduce production and support prices. On Friday of that week we bought a whole fish, which Pa Barrett cleaned, prepared and cooked. Pa Barrett enjoyed going aboard the HANNIBAL when she was in port and had lunch there with Jack a few times.In May l934 Mollie Barrett and her grade school classmate Gertrude Granville visited Jacksonville Florida and sent photographs from the Manson Hotel there to us in Panama.Now in the fall October l934 Mollie and her cousin Eileen Lane of Melrose were traveling on the Merchant and Miners Line boat from Boston to Norfolk.Jack met them at the boat in Norfolk and drove them to our apartment in Norfolk for lunch.Then the went by bus to Washington to see their second cousin John Lambert who worked as an editorial writer for a Washington newspaper. He had been many years a reporter in Portsmouth New Hampshire and was a friend of President Calvin Coolidge. One Naval officer in Portsmouth had a large family. "All I have to do is look at my wife, and she gets pregnant," he explained. 'l65About this time I drove to Baltimore to see my doctor brother Pete, his wife Jen, and their infant son Arthur, who died of appendicitis at age four. My brother Pete, whom I hadn't seen for five years, was building up his pediatric practice also doing a great deal of free work for the Salvation Army. MaNY YEARS LATER WHEN MY BROTHER'S DAUGHTER DEBBY (Deborah BORN 1935) was married in June l957 to Alfred Sonnenstrahl, the Salvation Army sent a representative to the wedding to honor my brother for the countless hours of free service he had given to the Salvation Army. -54''- #54' Now I am entering into Jack's memoirs some greatly prized letters sent to me from his HANNIBAL shipmates in response to our queries relating to Jack and the HANNIBAL. We had an amazing and rewarding response from every officer of that ship to whom we wrote.It was gratifying that they seemed to enjoy reviving the old memories. We kept in touch with several up to 1986. The consensus of opinion was that Jack was an outstanding Executive Officer for that survey work and a good shipmate under sometimes trying conditions.Commander Dan Candler of Dallas Texas wrote on 14 March l970: "Dear Sophie': Your letter arrived yesterday. Please ask your son John to forgive my delay in answering his letter.The reason was merely laziness, but my excuse was that I wanted time to get my thoughts together.I was sorry to hear of Jack's death as I had always considered him to be one of my best friends.When the chips were down, we were on the same side.That service on the HANNIBAL has always been considered one of the happiest times of my life.Our tours of duty covered the same period approximately, although I left a little after your husband did, in February l936.Then I went to the TEXAS until mid-l938 - then to mine sweeper - submarine tender in Hawaii, the SEAGULL from l939 to June l942.We were at Maui when Pearl Harbor occurred.I saw you all at least once in Pearl Harbor, and I remember that Jack helped with his influence to get me some transportation- I believe that was to help me in reporting to the CABOT - a small aircraft carrier-in l944.I ended up the war as skipper of the repair ship CEBU in the Philippines and Okinawa.Getting back to the HANNIBAL: I was Navigator- we surveyed the coast of Panama from the Cape Mala I believe about eighty-ninety miles south of the Pacific entrance to the Canal to the Costa Rica border as well as the Gulf of Necoya in Costa Rica.. After I left they covered a small part of the Atlantic coast.That is where Pitman was lost.We also covered the outlying islands- the names of many of them escape me. On one of them the old chart had a note "Caution - the island may be erroneously located - possibly as much as two miles." We found that it was out of position about one half mile. One of the other islands covered was Coiba, - and Quibo, which was the penal colony of Panama. We knew the boss man as well as some of the convicts, who were used as guides to help us in locating the best places to put up our signals.One day the President of Panama decided to meet us.We advised him against it, as the weather was bad- with lots of rain- but he was adamant and came anyway. The planes just barely made it, and at least one of them could not leave for two days until we had time to bake their generators dry.The President might have looked like a President in Panama City, but when he came aboard the HANNIBAL that day, he looked like a half-drowned rat. We also wrote the sailing directions for the area covered. "Central American Pilot" I believe the book is called. But not having seen the chart or the sailing directions for more than twenty years- anything said is from memory -and that is not as it once was.As to our old friends, I remember the name (Guillermo) Medina from his connection with the HANNIBAL or the Hydrographic Office. It was also good to have news of Paul Lehman.Recently I read that Captain Hinckley. who with his wife had traveled widely since retirement, had to call of a proposed jaunt due to his hospitalization.Dick Visser and Mervin Halstead could give you more information on the YP boats than I. The Vissers had been in Spain for ten years- or twenty- then came back here and spent about two years traveling and buying a house and getting located in Florida.They decided to move back to Spain. They said their address would be c/o General Delivery APO New York NY 09283.I have seen Dr. and Mrs. Clarence Smith over the years - in fact saw "Surge" the month before he died- last June I believe. They had been living around Philadelphia, and my wife Ann, comes from Philadelphia, so we get up there once a year.You did not mention the engineer. But Boileau died some years ago, and I believe that Harry Ferguson lives in Jacksonville, Florida. Agnew went into the Supply Corps. I saw him when he was Supply Officer on an Aircraft carrier.Harvey Akin, the fellow who liked to work calculus problems as a pastime, died a few years ago in North Carolina.I saw him last in Honolulu soon after Pearl Harbor.Benny Crosser was the First Lieutenant, the ship's housekeeper and an exceedingly good one. CANDLER #54 preceded by p. l75: It was Dick Visser's motor launch that was lost. He was trying to do too good a job & a wave broke too close to him & swamped his boat and pulled it on the rocks. Boats could not be landed on that side of the island-Cebaco Island-I'd forgotten its name until you mentioned it. So boats landed on the lee side and men had to go up over the hogback and down on the other side.As I remember it, the jungle was not so bad,but it was a job to haul heavy weights like boat engines over the hill.But there never was a crew that was in better condition than the crew on the HANNIBAL- at that time the oldest ship in commission in the Navy.-Think that the pinnacle you refer to was named by us 'Hinckley Reef.' I don't know whether it came out on the chart like that or not.(Halstead later wrote, "I was the guy who found 'Heradura Rock'- it was six feet below the surface and a hazard.") To answer one of John's questions, I don't know whether it is history or legend but Admiral Dewey is said to have found the HANNIBAL a collier built in England about l896- in the South China Sea loaded with coal previous to the attack on Manila.He bought it for the price of the coal. All of the survey ships were ships which would not have been of much use to the Navy on any other duty.The NIAGARA,which was working on the east coral America was a converted yacht." (p. l76) And on the 28th of March l970 Dan Candler wrote to John:"Dear John-I enjoyed both your & your mother's letters.I shall try to answer your questions as well as pass on any information which may be of interest.The notes of your Dad would be much more accurate than my memory.I remember that tropical storm as in that storm I saw the anemometer reading eighty-three knots,which is the highest reading I ever saw on an instrument.We tried letting salad oil drip in the windward scuppers but as to whether it did any good or not I can't say.We knew about the storm before passing Guantanamo,but everyone was eager to get back to Norfolk so we did not stay there.After that it seemed that when we were clear of land we ran with the wind on the quarter until it passed on,which took two or three days.I am sure that Mervin Halstead gave you a better picture of the YP boats than I could give.There were also three - I believe- twin screw motor launches with platforms for heaving the lead to take soundings.There is also a platform or "chains" from which one may take soundings on most ships.Your father knew more about small boats than anyone else on board & at his instigation we obtained two dories, -one was a Nahant dory & I can't remember the name of the other.l77 To get a starting point for the survey a party was sent ashore for about a month to locate a point by taking sights of lower magnitude stars.A base line & direction from this point was then actually measured-which gave two points.Signals were then erected - consisting essentially of a flag on a tripod- on conspicuous point in the vicinity.Then by bearings these signals were located on our temporary charts- then a boat or a YP or the HANNIBAL would take simultaneously two sextant angles -horizontal using three signals- & a sounding which would finally end up as a depth marking on a finished chart.Where it was difficult to locate signals on land, we sometimes we sometimes used floaters, which were made square - four steel drums & two by twelve timbers about fifteen feet long.These were moored in comparatively shallow water & had signal flags mounted on them.The hydrographic engineers would make up the rough charts with the signals on them the night before so they would be ready for the boats the next morning.In deeper waters the HANNIBAL ran lines of soundings.Once we were taking bearings on the top of a hill where we had a signal which was about eighty-five miles away.-It was not that the HANNIBAL required such a long time for overhaul,but the time was taken up for the hydrographic engineers to get their temporary charts & sounding records in shape to turn over to the Hydrographic Office. Of course the time in Norfolk was used also for rest & recreation, leave for the crew,many of whom lived in Philadelphia & could not afford to have their families in the Canal Zone.One of the last things to be done l78 before departure was after the rough charts were made up-the writing of the sailing directions was my job.I can remember working over a chart in the Norfolk Navy Yard on New Year's Day & trying to listen to a football game on the radio.On the way to & from the Canal Zone we were directed to take what were called "dynamic soundings". This consisted of getting samples of water at different depths & sending them either to Woods Hole or Scripps Institute of Oeanography at La Jolla California.We would probably take soundings at six locations on each trip.There was one rather protected anchorage behind one large island & only about one half mile from another with a good swimming beach.At first we liked to go in swimming until someone started fishing for sharks over the stern.After one was hooked we would shoot him.There were as many as six or seven ten-or-twelve-foot sharks on lines over the stern at one time.Most of us lost our interest in swimming after that.The crew was the hardest working ever - & not baD AT PLAYING EITHER. ALL IN ALL IT WAS ONE OF THE MOST ENJOYABLE TOURS OF DUTY I HAVE HAD.I always considered you father one of my best friends. I admire him for going back & getting that law degree. He was a good seagoing man and a good l79 shipmate.You may well be proud of him.Kindly remember me to your other."- Dan Candler." (According to Mervin Halstead, Candler's family at one time had a controlling interest in Coca-Cola company in early days when it was very small- in later years he was in Dallas Texas). #51 Paul Lehman hydrographic engineer Sophie introduction: "The mess steward Machete knew that I liked curry, so when the ship was in port (infrequently) he always told Jack when they were going to have curry, and Javk would tell me or drive home and get me for the treat. Aboard ship the steward goes from man to man with vegetable dishes of beef or chicken curry, and each man helps himself.Then he serves the rice. Then he goes to each man with a tray which contains a variety of flavorings, chopped nuts, picadilly, chutney, coconut. I always sat next to Dr. Clarence Smith, who piled his plate high, and we certainly enjoyed that lunch. I sat across from Paul Lehman, the junior hydrographic engineer on the HANNIBAL. One noon he smiled at me across the table and said, "My fiancee is just like you, Mrs. Barrett." That was in 1934. When we returned to Balboa in 1935, Helen was Mrs. Lehman, a new bride, and Paul was a happy man. I was very surprised to see a girl about my height and weight, a brunette,who had her arm in a sling. She, a new bride, had fallen and broken her wrist. I was sympathetic, but the officer who visited with me then teasingly accused Paul of twisting her arm." On March 24,l970 our friend the junior hydrographic engineer,a civilian on the HANNIBAL, Paul Lehman wrote to me from Bethesda,Maryland:"Dear Sophie-We were so glad as well as surprised to receive your nice long interesting letter.Helen & I have thought about you & John many times since we were all together in Panama in l934-l935.We were so sorry to learn of Jack's passing.Our love & heartfelt sympathy go out to you at this time.We know that it must be a great l82 comfort to you to have your son with you.Sophie I'll do my best in answering your questions.Aboard a survey ship there are generally three civilian engineers,one senior hydrographic engineer & two junior hydrographic engineers. The term hydrographer is used loosely to designate any one of the three.Actually the real Hydrographer of the Navy is an Admiral.He never goes to the survey area but stays in Washington as the head of the Hydrographic Office.The title of Hydrographer of the Navy,held by an Admiral,was changed to Oceanographer of the Navy in l962,& the name of the office was changed to U.S. Naval Oceanographic Office & is located in Suitland,Maryland.Now as well as in l935 one of the several nautical publications produced is the nautical (navigational) charts.The US Coast & Geodetic Survey has the responsibility of making nautical charts & maintaining them corrected to date for all over the world.Many of these charts by reciprocal agreement are almost reproductions of foreign government charts.The nations that have the means of doing hydrographic surveying work do so for the nations that need to have their coasts charted but do not have the means for doing so.The International Hydrographic Bureau at Monaco monitors all of the work.In this way chart nations do not overlap-that is-survey in the same area.Rather by agreement they exchange information.Anyway the above somehow tells why the USS HANNIBAL was working in Panama & in Costa Rica in l934-l935.The best chart-making nations in the past & today are in this order: United States,Great Britain,Germany, Japan, & France.On a ship doing hydrographic surveying the officers,hydrographic engineers, & crew obtain l83 the basic information needed for constructing nautical charts.These charts show the contour of the ocean floor.You probably know that the floor of the ocean is made up of mountains,hills, & valleys.In the ocean mountain peaks are called pinnacles if they are below the surface of the water or islands if they are above the surface.Before the survey ship with its sounding boats goes into an area a definite control system has to be established to determine the exact latitude & longitude of the area to be surveyed.This is done by the means of building eighty foot high steel towers at various places along the shore & up to within three or four miles behind the shoreline.Some of these towers are built on high hills or mountains.From the top of each tower the engineer reads angles between the other towers that are visible to him- mountain peaks,points of land, islands.This system of control towers is known as a "Triangulation Net." This triangulation net is drawn (or portrayed) over a three foot by four foot piece of paper at a scale to show about thirty,forty or fifty miles of coastline- the waters off of which are to be surveyed.This net drawn as geometric figures (as triangles,parallelograms) is the main control of the survey work.The towers forming the net are colored with different-colored canvas so that they can more readily be seen against various backgrounds- trees or sea or sky. One-foot-in-diameter holes are cut in the canvas covering to allow the wind to go through- or rather so that the wind would not knock the tower down.Large colored flags are flown from the tops.At the start of the net a metal plate l84 with a cross cut thereon is set into a concrete base.Then the exact latitude of the intersection of the cross is determined astronomically.Hundreds of readings are taken of the stars each night & the sun each day.Finally the exact latitude & longitude of this point is known.Next from this point a baseline of about four or five miles in length has to be very accurately measured.This is done along a railroad track when possible.The iron-steel measuring tape must be under 3.5 pounds pressure when read,& temperature readings must be taken & corrections made accordingly.The measurement must be made three times.The results must be within five inches of error.This measured line or distance becomes the vertex of the triangle- which in turn becomes the first figure of the triangulation net.By having all the angles between the towers read & knowing the sides & angles of the first triangle, by trigonometric computation the latitude & longitude of each tower is determined.ow the exact location of intermediate stations is determined.The ship, sub-chasers & motor launches then go into the area & measure the depth of the water by taking thousands of soundings.These soundings portray the contour of the ocean floor.The officers taking the soundings record the information on the boat sheets.Quartermasters simultaneously read angles with sextants between these stations,thus determining the position of the boats. Periodically small changes in the course steered have to be made to stay on the sounding lines drawn on the boat sheets.The location of the sounding lines & the distance between them are designated by the engineers after a study is made of the nature of the terrain of the ocean floor.Fathometers are used to l85 periodically measure the depth of the water.From the bottom of the sounding boat the signal of the fathometer sends a sound wave to the ocean floor.The time of the returning echo gives the depth of the water.The boat sheet material is worked up onto smooth sheets when the ship is in Norfolk or Philadelphia.The completed sheets are sent to the Oceanographic Office & are the basic material for the making of the new charts.The senior hydrographic engineer spends about ninety per cent of his time aboard the mother ship joining with the Captain & Executive officer in formulating plans & procedures for the work& they review the progress made & the accuracy of the results obtained.In some situations a more concentrated effort in operations must be made. Generally the Captain, Executive officer & senior hydrographic engineer visit Port Authority officers to make sure that agreements are understood regarding matters of right-of-way at tower & signal sites- the clearing or cutting down of timber sites (which are often on the top of high hills & mountain peaks) & the use of lighthouses as triangulation stations, obtaining materials & food.At the present time junior hydrographic engineers must be graduates in civil engineering, having been schooled in hydrography, topography & oceanography. They have to be able to make trigonometric computations mainly for the triangulation control net. l86 During my time on the HANNIBAL we lost a motor whaleboat-not a motor launch.he sailors & I were in a motor whaleboat that capsized in the surf while making a landing.We swam to of us was injured. The boat was demolished as it was dashed against the rocks near the shore.All that was salvaged of the wreckage was a little piece of the side of the boat that contained the boat's number - this I handed to Captain Hinckley when I finally got back aboard the HANNIBAL.My last trip that Iaent ilsvice was in the 1934-1935 season when Jack a was the Executive officer,& Helen & you were in Balboa.I hope Sophie,that some of my answers to your questions will be of help to you & your son.Helen joins me in sending much love. -Paul Lehman."-#52 Adm. Visser- #52 VISSER letter Hannibal l934-5 On the 25th of March l970 Rear Admiral Richard Gerben Visser residing in Madrid,Spain- a young boat officer on the HANNIBAL when Jack was its Executive Officer wrote:Dear Sophie & John junior,Forgive me for not having acknowledged your letters sooner but it has been virtually impossible.Joanne & I sold our house in Florida in January & moved back here to Madrid,where we formerly lived from l957 to l967.My years in the HANNIBAL are some of the treasured memories of my life.I enjoyed fine associations with everyone on board & found the work of hydrographic surveying to be highly interesting.As a young officer I was given a great deal of responsbility & in the beautiful finished charts could see the final completed products of all our united research & effort.The YP 42 was my first command,& I learned the basics of ship handling & seamanship from this experience.We had loads of fun in Panama- all of us together when the ship was in port,going to the several swank beer l87 gardens in the evenings & to the Union club on Saturday nights for dinner & dancing. On Sunday afternoon there were the horse races which were fun to attend. Captain Hinckley was a particularly fine captain& he & Mrs. Hinckley always joined in with us in our social activities. I have kept up with them over the years & stopped to see them in Washington about five years ago.I am distressed to know that he has been hospitalized.Commander Barrett was a fine Executive Officer & particularly well qualified for that duty.Under his direction I was given charge of an operation to drag several hundred square miles of coastal waters to a depth of twelve fathoms. We employed both YP's, & Mervin Halstead worked with me.It was unique from the normal survey work & presented a challenge to us.We did the job in three weeks & we had the feeling of having accomplished something worthwhile.During the course of the operation we located & charted a pinnacle which could have ripped the bottom out of a ship.We may have named it 'Hinckley Rock' or some such name.I'm sure you know the history of the HANNIBAL.It was a British collier & Admiral Dewey bought it it China during the Spanish-American war.It was loaded with coal- & to get the coal he had to buy ship & cargo. It remained on the rolls of the Navy right up to World War II.I think its last service was as a station ship in Norfolk.It had a wrought iron hull & one reciprocating engine of either 300 or 600 horsepower.It had natural draft with tall stack, fire tube boilers which l88 burned soft coal-these had to be cleaned regularly-that is the reason we got back to port about once a month.The main pumps,including the air pumps,were all connected to the main shaft,so whenever we got underway we started with zero vacuum (if John junior is an engineer he will appreciate this!)Steam was generated in the boilers & pushed through the cylinders.As the main shaft turned over,it activated the main air pump which began to suck a vacuum in the main condenser thus permitting an easier flow of steam.With an engine of such low power the efficiency was never very high & only under the best conditions of a fair breeze were we able to obtain a maximum speed of six to seven knots!I often remember rounding Cape Mala en route to & from the survey area on the west coast of Panama-the current there is rather strong - two-three knots. Invariably we would have the lighthouse bearing on the bow at sunset- & at sunrise the next day it would still be in plain sight on the quarter. With a ship of such low power you can readily understand that it was a dangerous situation when we were caught in that hurricane north of Cuba (September l935).We were fearful that, being caught in mountainous seas & 75-l00 mile per hour winds we would be unable to maintain steerage way & might founder. Ah- but she was a comfortable old ship & served us well-& we loved her!To answer a couple of John junior's questions:The HANNIBAL spent three months in Norfolk not only for overhaul but in working up the rough data of our season's work into smooth charts for reproduction by the Hydrographic Office.The charts were beautiful!The last survey of the area we completed in l934-l935 had been carried out by the British one hundred years before-considering what they had to work with,their charts were reasonably good. We found one rock "Pillar of Salt" only about two miles out of position. l89 The "Morrow Puercos" operation covered an area to a considerable distance offshore where the water was comparatively shallow-under one hundred fathoms.To run the lines getting depths, we extended the triangulation from known points on shore to floaters (rafts with flags & skirts on pyramids),which we anchored in depths up to thirty fathoms.Using these to determine the ship's position at any moment, we ran our lines covering a wide area out of sight of land.Poor Captain Gresham had a cancerous tumor in his arm & was not with us very long. Captain Stevens relieved him toward the end of my last survey season, so I didn't get to know either of them very well.The YP-42 operated independently away from the HANNIBAL much of the time.For example I was in charge (& had Mr. Devine & Mr. Livingston with me) of the survey of the Gulf of Nicoya on the west coast of Costa Rica.The entrance of this gulf is about as wide as the English Channel.It took us three months to do the job,& I didn't see the HANNIBAL during all this time.The YP 41 brought us supplies & mail and exchanged Livingston & Devine,who split the time between them.After all this I hesitate to bore you further with an outline of my career during & after the war.To sketch it briefly I graduated from the Naval War College on 2 December l94l & reported to COMINCH headquarters in Washington- Admiral King-when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.It took a year to extricate myself from Washington & take command of a new 2l00-ton destroyer l90 USS DALY DD5l9 & get to sea. After a shakedown in the Atlantic operating with other destroyers out of Argentia (Newfoundland) we went to the Pacific to join our squadron.We participated in the Aleutian operation from August to December l943,then went to the Southwest Pacific theater where we participated in the forward movement of the Allied forces through New Guinea,then Halmahera Islands & the invasion of the Philippines culminating in the Battle of Surigao Strait (OCTOBER,L944). I had tremendous success with the DALY, saw a lot of combat & had a wonderful crew-& no one got hurt while I had command.From the DALY after Surigao I was ordered to the staff of Admiral Turner Commander Amphibious Forces of the Pacific Fleet as Assistant Operations Officer. In that capacity I helped prepare the plans for & participated in the assault & conquest of both Iwo Jima & Okinawa. At war's end we were in Manila working with the Sixth Army & had just competed the plans for the invasion of the Japanese home islands.Thank God we didn't have to carry them out!-although I sometimes wonder what chain reactions we have inherited by having used the bomb.After the war I had various commands in both the Destroyer & Amphibious Forces & served on major staffs.I was also selected for & attended the National War College in Washington. I love the Navy & have fine memories of it.From your description it appears that Commander Barrett had a long & varied career,& his memories should prove most interesting and worth publishing.I sincerely wish you success with it. I would be glad to hear from you again & hope the contents of this letter will be helpful. Sincerely, Dick Visser." #53 Halstead- #53 HALSTEAD HANNIBAL l934 On January 25,l970 Captain Mervin Halstead who was one of Jack's junior officers on the HANNIBAL wrote to John from Los Altos California:" Yes I was aboard with Hinckley,Gresham,& Stevens-Candler, Visser, Boyd,Ascherfeld & many others were there with me.Your mother was a small, dark-haired lady then. My father General Lawrence Halstead US Army was in command of the U.S. Army in Panama then.Being the son of a "bigshot" I was enjoying myself plenty.I was the guy who found Heradura Rock-it was six feet below the surface & was a hazard.I dragged for it & found it only ONCE. Even though I took an accurate fix,the current was so swift you could not stay over it long enough to find it again.The HANNIBAL came north during hurricane season & damn near foundered in l935. There was another ship a converted German yacht NOKOMIS-she was always on the east coast of Panama.Until late in l936 the HANNIBAL operated on the west coast. The east coast was extremely dangerous because of constant surf-waves.Boatswain Pittman drowned in late l936.I did see your father in Hawaii. He put me aboard a ship CAPE BLANCO to get me out before someone grabbed me & took me out to the action area in the Pacific before I could get my thirty days leave.I had been in action area three years plus.Very nice of him.All the names you mention are on the chart. Cape Mala was the turning point coming home to Balboa - it is ninety miles out. l80 I have the original of the enclosed post card.(YP 41 illustrated)The YP 41 was painted white,with yellow superstructure.It had two Winton air injection engines, carried l500 gallons of drinking water & sometimes as many as fifty men. It was very wide & made the trip from Norfolk to Panama easily.It had wooden deck & one half inch thick steel hull.There was a sister ship GALLATIN YP 42. Lieutenant jg Dick Visser commanded it. Neither Visser nor Halstead (me) took promotion exams until l938.The note 'Halstead & Visser better read up' referred to the two of us commanding such boats as these. These boats ran survey lines as many miles as possible from "can't see to can't see" eight am to dark -as many as thirty thousand miles per year.Glossy water, teeming with sharks, barracudas,crocodiles.(Pictureshows Halstead marked by arrows showing compensated magnetic compass,search light,port holes, fenders to keep from bumping, patent anchors - atmosphere very hot & wet- picture of where Halstead was stationed -also Boatswain Warrell,Seaman Peyton, CPO Engineer Hall, & AFFIRM flag meaning "We are coming alongside,PORT side." It is a picture of YP 4l the MAHONING,which was given to the Navy by the Coast Guard for survey work.It was 2l0 tons & made ten knots.It had one of the first depth finding appliances aboard.At the time of the picture it was coming aboard the USS HANNIBAL,which was the mother ship on which Barrett was the Executive Officer.The HANNIBAL made eight knots.This particular picture was made in l935 off Aufuera Island,Panama Pacific coast -Sophie Barrett note) "Yes there were three civilians you named l8l & another one arrived in l936.They plotted our stuff.Devine was in charge.I found the largest scorpion in the world one day on the east coast of Panama.He is in Smithsonian now.Big as a crab. I chopped down a manzanilla tree & got poisoned as Lord Nelson had done a century before.Almost lost my eyes. The doctor was 'Cyanide' Smith. Gresham died of cancer.He was going place in the Navy when he came down with it.They didn't know what it was- so sent him to the HANNIBAL to rest.Ship spent about thirty days out (then) ten days in Balboa.I went to US Naval Academy postgraduate school from HANNIBAL. I got twelve hours notice to be ready to get off to USS HERBERT DDl60 as we passed through canal.(When I arrived,Ascherfeld picked me up in a sub chaser that YP 4l replaced later & took me out to the HANNIBAL. Very interesting duty-but so long ago- 36 years.We spent October,November, &December in Norfolk Naval Shipyard each year. On YP 41 I had a Keysote bear (crotommi) named Oscar that bit you pa & he wanted me to get rid of him - not really (joke). Very truly yours-Mervin Halstead." #16 Agnew Letter Panama l933=l935 #16 And on May l, l97l Commander Jack Agnew who was one of the junior officers on the HANNIBAL when we joined her in l933 wrote from Dover, Delaware,"Dear Mrs. Barrett, It was good to hear from you after so many years. At almost sixty-two years of age I suppose my memory of the early 'Thirties is not as good as it should be.For example I could not have told you the name of the Boatswain who succeeded Mr. Fry - until you mentioned Pittman. But of course Agnes and I both remember you and your fine husband, such a gentleman, fine seaman, and good administrator! We were so sorry to hear of your great loss.Since my retirement in l960, I have had no time for nostalgia about the Navy, dearly as I love it.After all it took me as a kid of sixteen, through the Academy and thirty years of subsequent service.But even before the actual date of retirement, I was in a classroom getting my teaching credentials, and the next year I started teaching full time. I am now teaching Spanish at Wesley College here.But back to the HANNIBAL- the "White Swan of the Carribean". We have many fond memories. Of course it was personally nice duty for us because of Balboa being Agnes's home town and having her mother still down there at that time. We greatly enjoyed the times when the ship was in port, whether we went to the Union Club, or the beer garden, - golfing at Amador, driving up into the interior- and that wonderful time when our wives joined us in Puntarenas (Costa Rica) and we had a spectacular trip up to San Jose where we spent about four days.-That ambassador's champagne party when Captain Hinckley kept hovering over us to make sure we did not imbibe too much! I understand that Costa Rica has a fine new banana port which we surveyed before moving into the Gulf of Necoya.Puntarenas was not too interesting, and the only way we could get cold beer was to go aboard a German ship. Quepos Point on the other hand, was wild virgin territory when we moved in.How well I remember the Easter Sunday morning when I had a bunch of natives well inland on top of a high hill, clearing away the underbrush and cutting down trees so that the Tower party could put up one of their structures.That was where I learned that the male monkey comes chattering through the trees loudly so that one does not notice the female and the young going through a little further away.I never felt too good at cutting my way through those tropical jungles, nor did any of the others- I am sure- realizing that if a deadly fer-de-lance (snake) was around and bit a person, it would probably be the end of him.One bad thing about the Costa Rica work was that we were so far from Balboa and could not go in and out as we had when working in Panama.It was off Panama southeast of Bahia Honda I believe that the incident of finding the pinnacle rock of which you spoke occurred and if that was the same incident, it was my boat that found it.And when we did find it, -oh boy- the HANNIBAL was coming right for it.She might have had her bottom ripped off if we had not stopped her. My crew would not go back to work until they let us come alongside and collect the prize which the skipper had offered- a box of cigars, I believe! It was also off Panama nearby where I caught my most satisfactory fish, a forty-five pound red snapper, slowly trawling around a rock offshore.We had a lot of fun fishing.One would have thought we were nuts, running lines of soundings,putting up markers offshore and ashore,for six days a week and then taking a boat out fishing on Sunday!And all the sounding boat engineers kept a line astern when we were working and frequently gave us freshly caught and grilled mackerel to augment our lunch.Of course the work had its dangerous side out in the boats and in landing - both. I remember the time I ran my boat aground, but fortunately it was in Manzanillo Bay on the Atlantic side on my first time out, and there was no surf. But when Dick Visser did (the same thing), it was on a wild coast, and the boat was lost.I remember that he had all the little radios, which they were trying out for us to use in the sounding boats,out testing them, and of course they went, too.On one landing in a whale boat putting a beach party ashore, Mr. Fry lost his glasses and was nearly killed, as his successor Pitman was later (1936). Good old 'Shorty' Candler! I remember I could never make the chili hot enough for him and had to provide him with extra chili powder when he would have dinner with us in Balboa.. Poor 'Shorty' - the time when - early in his time aboard, he got too much sun, , and with his fair complexion he was quite badly off. Somebody told him crude oil would help, so he put some on in the shower.-what a mess! We had enough junior officers to man two World War I sub chasers and four sounding boats as I remember.As to the enlisted men, I have a most vague memory except for my boat captain, whose name was I believe, Edwards and who though only a seaman, was the better of any boatswain's mate I was to come across later.It was our great pleasure to host Captain and Mrs. Hinckley and several of the ex-"HANNIBALites" at a party at the Sub Base, Pearl Harbor late l937. I'll bet Marion and Bob (Hinckley) never forgot the ride back to their hotel, for I believe I had "too many martoonis." When I left the HANNIBAL, I had only been thinking about the Supply Corps, but after a year on the "black gang" as Boiler Division officer on the PORTLAND, I had made up my mind. After a short but wholly satisfactory interlude as Second Division officer and No. 2 turret officer (my turret won the "E" the week after I left) I went to Supply School in Philadelphia Navy Yard. There followed duties at Pearl Harbor, Norfolk Navy Yard, Patoka, Naval Aviation School Patuxent, and the carrier WASP- then ashore for good I went to Naval Aviation School San Diego, Naval Storehouse Gulfport-Assistant Fleet Supply Officer, Atlantic- Logistics Officer for Admiral Blandy- the Logistics course at the Naval War College,- Regional Accounting Office Philadelphia. Well there you have a thumbnail sketch of what I remember of the good old HANNIBAL and of our lives since. If you have any specific questions,I should be most glad to answer them.At any rate. it has been grand to be back in touch with someone from the"White Swan" and I hope we can keep in touch.Agnes joins me in affectionate greetings.Most sincerely, - Jack Agnew."In September l97l I received a letter from Captain J.C. Woefel of Long Beach California" Dear Mrs. Barrett, Your letter arrived just as we returned from a lot of traveling.I am sorry to learn of Dan Candler's passing. He was always such a jolly person.I joined the HANNIBAL in l933 in time to go South, and then left her as soon as we got to Panama. I never returned to her. While I knew Commander Barrett briefly, I do remember that he was well read and had many interests and was most co-operative.He was most helpful in getting my survey party off on my second trip to Alaska. I next saw him in l944 at Pearl Harbor when he arranged my transportation to the states after I relinquished command of my destroyer.He went out of his way to get me headed for home, which I greatly appreciated.After leaving the HANNIBAL, I worked in Panama and Costa Rica and then on to Alaska.From there I went to combatant ships. In l935 I was married just before going to Post Graduate School at Annapolis. We have three children. I retired from the Navy in l955 and went with Richmond Oil Company- retired now- Best - "Dutch" Woefel
Subject: Captain Robert Hinckley party HANNIBAL
Year: 1934,May 31____