Red Headed Stepchild
(The Barrett family memoir of Navy Life)
by Sophie Ruth Meranski with photos


1952 photo by John Barrett junior of willow tree behind head masters office Roxbury Latin


Picture was taken from library window on second floor. Willow tree was in back courtyard between Rousmaniere Hall, where morning assembly, and dramatic and musical events occurred, and the former music classroom near the present gymnasium constructed l955 p 25 #785 Below is E mail I sent Roxbury Latin alumni December 28, 1999---: Sex Discrimination at Roxbury Latin is serious in its social consequences. The better the school gets, especially in science - the greater the harm done to women and society - the country, the world, but especially the local areas Roxbury-West Roxbury, Greater Boston. An escrow fund should be started for education of girls at Roxbury Latin. If the school admits young women, within three years, it should receive the funds. Otherwise it should be divided among schools nearby that educate girls such as Thayer and Milton Academies, Noble and Greenough, Buckingham,Browne and Nichols, Archbiship Williams or the Boston Public Schools. --John B. Barrett rls 1953 summa cum laude. In a study funded by United states Navy Harvard Physics Professor Gerald Holton found that prior to 1978 only one out of every forty United State post-doctorates in physics was female. In the younger cohort who graduated after 1978 one in seven was female - an improvement, but many capable women are beiong denied careers in science. For a number of years students from Roxbury Latin dominated the Amerherst freshamn Greek scholarship, because of the remarkable teaching of Classics master Van Courtlandt Elliott.Roxbury Latin students won the Amerherst scholarship five years in a row, and several times, when the top student delined to attend Amherst, the second or third candidate was also from Roxbury Latin. None of them was female, so girls were being denied equal opportunity. Roxbury latin students also won Harvard's George Emerson Lowell Greek scholarships. Sexual segregation in high school is bad for everyone. As James Russell Lowell said in the Civil War [of slavery] "Time makes Ancient Good Uncouth." Admit girls to Roxbury Latin! Better late than never.


Saint Louis Heights, Manoa Valley, Koolau Mountains, Round Top from 2415 Ala Wai Boulevard,Waikiki {H}


Jack Barrett photo from near home at 2415 Ala Wai Boulevard Waikiki across Ala Wai Canal built l922 and Territorial Golf Course #786 p 25


1820 Elm and Alfred Rehder's Bavarian Ivy, Roxbury Latin School-Jack Barrett photo #787 p 25 (R)


Photo by Jack Barrett was used on cover of Thanksgiving l952 quarterly issue of TRIPOD magazine and also in l953 Yearbook. The elm tree dated from about l820, when West Roxbury was thinly settled. It may have been planted or grown spontaneously. Most of the large Roxbury Latin School grounds were owned around 1860 by Francis Shaw, father of Civil War hero Robert Gould Shaw, killed July l863 commanding black troops at Fort Wagner, South Carolina. Shaw owned a large tract west of LaGrange Street extending fromCentre Street south to Washington Street.Reverend Theodore Parker lived nearby on cottage Avenue at the site of the present Saint Theresa School.Most of the Roxbury Latin grounds became property of decorator Richard Codman, related to the Brook Farm family.The School moved from near Warren and Kearsarge Avenues in Roxbury to the Codman estate in l926. Dendrologist Alfred Rehder (l963-l949) of Arnold Arboretum selected the Bavarian ivy seen growing on the building near the doorway and tower.A further historical project for someone: who owned this land when tree first grew - did it grow spontaneously, or was it planted? Jack Barrett looked up much Land Court data on West Roxbury land and said around 1790 Roxbury Latin and the first church in Roxbury owned much West Roxbury land - it would be interesting to clarify who owned this area before Francis Shaw in l840's.


Rabbit Island off Windward northeast coast of Oahu,Hawaii


Jack Barrett photo. After World War II ended l945-l947 the Barrett family frequently drove "around the Island" of Oahu 604 square miles where Honolulu is located. The short route to the rainy wiindward coast is over the steep Nuuanu Pali Road across the crest of the volcanic Koolau Moiuntains.Jack hiked this route in l925 with his MARBLEHEAD shipmate Eddie Arroyo of New Orleans Louisiana.After that date,. the Joseph Kalanianaole Highway was completed around the southeastern shore past the spectacular Blow Hole, where sea water periodically erupts like a geyser through a small hole in the rocks.Sophie used to sing Jerome Kern's l920's song hit"When it's moonlight in Kailua." Rabbit Island is north og Kailua and Kaneohe, where a major Naval Air Base developed in Woirld War II.John's first grade teacher Mrs. Celestine Barbour relocated in l99l to a Kailua retiurement home after many years in Waikiki. She grew up on a Kohala sugar plantation, where her parents emigrated from Portugal and Madeira l883.Waimea Falls at the north end of Oahu was another outstanding site the Barretts frequently visited. John's fifth grade teacher Agnes Dee Davidson had a son and two daughters. One daughter was connected with radio station KHON, and her son Douglas was a professional photographer, who phtographed Waimea Falls and many other island scenes. #788 p 25


1910 ITASCA Revenue Cutter School Officers, cadets, & crew#789 p 25


Jack Barrett identified the five officers and most of the cadets and a few of the warrant officers. Starts at left front the l9l0 officers are Lieutenants Hutson,..,Dempwolf, Wolf, and Captain William V. E Jacobs at front center.Jack Barrett is standing in second row to picture-left of Captain Jacobs. Seated on deck Cadet Wilfred N. Derby was later Superintendant of Coast Guard Academy New London l947 and retired to Weston Massachusetts l960's, where for several years he grew Jack Barrett's tomato seedlings. He furnished recollections of the Revenue Cutter School and cruises in letters for Sophie and John l970, and his wife recollected her Hawaii childhood and years at Punahou School. More precise identifications will be added. Two other contributors to memoir corrrespondence are seated near Admiral Derby - Joseph Skita and F. A Zeusler who lived in retirement in Fort Worth Texas and Seattle, Washington l970.In back row of cadets about fifth from left is William Rupertus, who Jack and Sophie saw at Peking China l93l when he was in Marines - he became Marine Corps General at Tulagi August l942 and friend and associate of MarineCorps Commandant Vandegrift.Others in picture include Joseph Farley commandant of U.S. Coast Guard l947 and Engineer Milton Daniels and Admiral Earl Rose, who both contributed letters to Sophie l970. Admiral Rose was involved in beginning a Coast Guard History project.


}C{Sophie Barrett on escorted Pagsanjan Canyon canoe tour,southeast Luzon #790 p 25


82-1313 HONEYMOON JANUARY-MARCH 1932 {7}Sophie Barrett on escorted Pagsanjan Canyon canoe tour,southeast Luzon #790 p 25 Year: 1932Pagsanjan Jack Barrett photo. One of the most enjoyable days of the Dollar Lines tour Sophie and Jack took around the world from Kobe Japan to Naples Italy was a canoe tour of Pagsanjan Canyon in southeastern Luzon, Philippines. The trip was suggested by the Dollar Lines tour guide book and was extremely delightful according to both Jack and Sophie. Information will be appreciated as to whether this remarkable natural area has been preserved in the intervening sixty-six years and whether it is still accessible to travelers and photographers. This trip was a delayed honeymoon for Jack and Sophie after their New York City Hall wedding between two and three PM Friday June 21, l929, less than an hour before Jack departed for sixty months duty in the Asiatic Fleet.Pagsanjan is still recommended for honeymooners.It was described and recommended in the 1930 Dollar Lines tour guide. 1932_ 83-1318 -1932_ CHAPTER "RETURN via EUROPE" - HONEYMOON on PRESIDENT PIERCE Tangku Kobe Shanghai Hong Kong Manila Pagsanjan canyon Malaya Ceylon India Egpyt l932 FAREWELL TO GERTRUDE + PAUL RICE Our day of departure from Tientsin was Christmas Day l93l - we stood on a platform of the railroad waiting for a train to take us to Taku bar about thirty-five miles east,where the TULSA was docked because there was not enough water in the Hai Ho river at Tientsin for the ship at that time in an unusually dry year. In spite of my good fur coat & Jack's heavy blue uniform coat,we were very cold, as the train was late & there was no closed railroad station in which to wait comfortably.As the wind howled about me, Captain & Mrs. Rice appeared to see us off & waited with us for some time- wonderful of the Captain and his wife to appear to say farewell to us,who were junior in rank to them as Paul was the senior Naval officer in north China.I finally prevailed upon them to leave when the train as usual in Tientsin was very late, & it was bitter cold. CHRISTMAS DINNER ABOARD TULSA But soon after they left the train arrived in time to get us to the TULSA for Christmas dinner- in lonesome state, as the only officer aboard was Benny Crosser,who had the duty.All the rest had been invited to homes in Tientsin for holiday season dinner.. "TWO JAP BAYONETS CROSSED IN FRONT OF HER CHEST" Then we loaded our bags onto several rickshaws & went to Tangku a mile or so away to board the Japanese ship Chowan Maru which was to take us to Kobe where we were to sail on the SS President Pierce about January 3, l932 for our trip to Europe.Several Chinese boys from the ship went with us to handle our baggage,but when we arrived at Tangku it was so cold with the wind coming in off the water that I didn't wait for the baggage or for Jack & the boys - I walked along briskly & started to enter a gate where I saw a Japanese ship in the distance.To my horror two Japanese soldiers crossed their bayonets across my chest & spoke angrily in Japanese,which I could not understand.I was frozen with fear.Finally Jack came up with the Chinese boys & the baggage & with English & gestures tried to get them to remove their bayonets,but the soldiers p31-persisted. During the commotion a Japanese officer appeared who could speak English & told us I was trying to enter the gate leading to a Japanese warship that was unloading soldiers for duty in China & that his men had orders to kill anyone trying to spy on the operation. Was I scared! But he ordered me released & pointed out the gate I should enter to board the CHOWAN MARU not far away.Our Chinese boys were pleased to see the Japanese soldiers lose face. The 1971 text "Japan's Imperial Conspiracy" documents the assassinations and fanatical measures the Japanese Army and imperial family used at this time to intimidate the democratic majority in Japan and force through Manchurian conquest in defiance of the League of Nations. HONEYMOON via EUROPE January - March 1932 Jack took about three months leave and received partial reimbursement for travel from Tientsin to his next duty in Boston. The records clarify some chronology: "Awaiting first available steamer Tientsin Kobe 1931 - Dec. 22 Court Hotel lodging $2.16 Meals $2.40 total $4.36 Tips, room boy $.48, Table boy $.36 total $ .84 Dec. 23 Lodging $2.16 three meals $2.88 total $5.04 Tips room boy $.48 table boy $.36 total $.84 Dec 24 Lodging $2.16 three meals $2.88 total $5.04 tips Room boy $.48 table boy $.36 total $.84 December 25 Court Hotel One Meal $.48 Tip table boy $.12 December 25 Transfer to Railroad Station in Hotel Bus $.18 'Note' Lodging, meals included in Court Hotel Receipt of 25 December 1931 attached. Receipt in YUEN local currency. Rate 4.16 YUEN = $1.00 US - December 25-Railroad fare to TANGKU Steamship Wharf $.30 December 25 Transfer of baggage - three trunks, four bags- from railroad station to SS CHOWAN MARU (including coolie hire for stowage below decks) receipt attached $1.68 December 25 Fare Tientsin (TANGKU) to Kobe per SS CHOWAN MARU -(70 yen at rate .435) $30.45 December 25-30 Steamer fees Table boy two yen per day Room boy one yen per day $1.74 (Arrived Kobe 8:00 A.M 30 December 1931) December 30 Transfer to hotel via customs with four bags $.43 December 30 Oriental Hotel Kobe, awaiting first available steamer sailing January 1, l932,-open for embarkation at 9:00 A.M January 1, l932- -- December 30 Lodging $4.35 two meals $5.66 total $10.01 - December 31 Lodging $4.35 three meals $6.31 total $10.66 December 30 Tips table boy $.44 room boy $.22 total $.66 December 31 Tips table boy $.44 room boy $.22 total $.66 January 1, 1932 Tip table boy $.22 - January 1 Transfer of three trunks ex SS CHOWAN MARU via custom house in Bond to SS PRESIDENT PIERCE - 7.70 yen at rate .425 $3.35 -FARE via Dollar Steamship Company, Kobe, Japan to Boston Massachusetts $449.23 - Deck Chair $2.00 Steamer Fees (Kobe-New York) table boy fifty-seven days thirty cents per day $17.00 Room boy fifty-seven days fifteen cents per day $8.50 - Bath boy fifty-seven days four cents per day $2.25 Shoe boy fifty-seven days one cent per day $.50 'Note' At New York SS PRESIDENT VAN BUREN issued exchange transportation New York to Boston by rail via New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad because of ship remaining at New York beyond scheduled time. Transfer baggage Jersey City to railroad station New York four trunks, one sea bag - Cosmopolitan Company, $2.00 - Transfer baggage Railroad Station, Boston, to Hotel four trunks, one sea bag - Armstrong Transfer Company $3.75 TOTAL $567.46 TANGKU CHINA to KOBE JAPAN The CHOWAN MARU was a small, compact, spotlessly clean ship on which Jack and I were the only non-Oriental passengers. Even tho there were only two of us, the menu was printed every day we were aboard and was done in both English and Japanese. Everything about the ship was satisfactory even tho it was a rough trip during which I stayed on deck most of the time to keep from getting seasick.We left the ship at Kobe and registered at an American hotel. We saw much in Kobe and also in nearby commercial Osaka and spent an interesting day at Nara with its Japanese shrines and works of art. Because the Japanese soldiers frightened me so badly, I bought no curios in Japan and spent as little time and money there as possible. 46 My sharpest memory of Kobe was the unisex public toilets then generally used by men and women without privacy. At that time the Japanese had nothing that I wanted except the PRESIDENT PIERCE, which I boarded as soon as she docked at Kobe near New Year's Day 1932. It was winter in Japan and in North China, and all the clothes I had were winter clothes. We were seated at the doctor's table on the PIERCE, and after bring in China where we worried about cholera, I feasted happily on oranges, apples, lettuce, celery and any other fresh produce the ship offered. We wore evening clothes at dinner and had music. I often danced with the elderly doctor, but Jack would not dance as he disapproved of dancing aboard ship, especially as it interfered with the orderly serving of dinner. He thought it uncivilized to get up to dance just as a waiter brought a plate of good hot food which deteriorated while people danced. To Jack, running a ship was serious business- too serious for dancing. Sometimes when Jack Barrett didn't want to be disturbed, he would say "Wild animals are dangerous when they are eating." The Dollar Line made available the 1930 edition of an excellent tour guide that helped us select many interesting places to see the rest of our voyage. SHANGHAI AH SING SHIP'S CHANDLER + COCKEYE THE TAILOR. From Kobe we sailed to Shanghai where we spent one full day. We hired two rick-shaws because Jack wanted to say goodbye to some people he knew there. First we went to see Ah Sing, the ship's chandler who had entertained us at tiffen in his home in July, 1931.Then we set off to Cockeye the Tailor's establishment on Bubbling Well Road When I remonstrated with Jack for calling the man such a name, he opened his wallet and showed me a card reading "Cock Eye- Tailor" and giving addresses in Shanghai and in Chefoo. He had used the trade name many years. When we arrived, one of Cock Eye's sons greeted Jack warmly, told us that Cock Eye was now retired and too old to work, but he took us to his father's house where we were treated as honored guests. Then I knew at once the derivation of his trade name because he was indeed cock-eyed, with his eyes looking wide apart to the sides. He gave me a white terry cloth kimono with a peacock embroidered on the back. They gave Jack a pongee robe and also one for me.About dusk the ship set out for Hong Kong.We spent only a few hours in the colorful markets before leaving for Manila. MANILA, PAGSANJAN, MALAYA SULTAN'S GARDENS When I boarded the PIERCE at Kobe,all the clothes I wore or carried in my suitcase were winter clothes, as it was very cold in Tientsin and in Japan at that season. However, in my trunk, which was stored in the trunkroom of the PIERCE, I had some lovely summer clothes, which I had made for me in Shanghai on my previous visit there in July 1931 - clothes to be worn in hot Manila, at the Raffles Hotel in Singapore, in Penang and Ceylon and India and at the Shepherds's Hotel in Cairo. While en route from Hong Kong to Manila, it got very hot, and I went to the trunk room to get some of my warm weather clothes.At first I was not alarmed when I could not find my trunk, but I did become worried when the trunk room man couldn't find it either. After much searching, the disappearance was reported to the purser, and I suffered in my winter clothes. Just as we approached Manila, the purser got word that my trunk- with all my summer clothes and evening dresses- had mistakenly been put ashore in Hong Kong and was on the dock there. I could not have my trunk again until we reached Marseilles,France, in March to sail to New York.. We tried to buy summer clothes in Manila but were unsuccessful except for two identical cheap cotton morning dresses. We had no time to have dresses made there as we were to be in Manila only one more day- when we planned to ride the rapids of Pagsanjan in canoes - a thrilling experience -recommended in the Dollar Line tour guidebook [well out toward the southeast tip of Luzon island in direction of the Mount Majon (Mayon) volcano. Jack Barrett was amused by the pronunciation of the volcano - like "my own"- a photo of the very symmetrical cone hung in the Barrett dining room in West Roxbury from 1947 on. We had signed up to ride the rapids in canoes at Pagsanjan canyon in southeast Luzon,(Philippines),& we were not willing to give up that unique experience just to hunt for summer clothes.So I lived day & night in two identical cheap cotton frocks that we found in a shop in Manila just before sailing for Singapore.While other women sparkled in lovely gowns,I appeared constantly in a cheap cotton creation.I refused to let my predicament spoil our trip. Pagsanjan was one of the top moments. SINGAPORE PENANG JOHORE In mid-January the PRESIDENT PIERCE left Manila for Singapore and Penang. In one of the photos aboard web p. 64 photo #1161 we are with a Swedish-American from Minnesota who was traveling alone on his first trip in the area and enjoyed talking with Jack, who had visited many of the ports as an officer of the WESTERNER in 1920. He joined us at the well-known old Raffles Hotel in Singapore, where we enjoyed getting out of the sun and drinking lemonade in the huge, cool garden.That evening we dined and danced at the hotel,and next day the three of us went by hired automobile to the exotic gardens of the Sultan of Johore, where our friend took three photos of Jack and me that are on web page 35 photos #915,916,917. Our friend lent me his sun helmet, and Jack took a picture of me wearing it standing in front of a big tropical bush. Jack got honorable mention for the picture later at a photo competition in Boston.One morning when we were on the PRESIDENT PIERCE, while Jack and I were sitting on deck, he jumped up saying he was going below to get his camera to take a picture of a ship passing us in the opposite direction. He hurried off and came back with his camera and carefully took pictures of the rapidly passing ship some distance away -- then he told me he had bumped his head on the steel top of the entrance to our cabin. At this point I saw blood on his head and insisted he report the incident to the ship's doctor, who was amazed he was able to walk so much after his injury, which required six stitches under the hair at the top of his head. He rested a few hours, then resumed usual activities. CEYLON + BOMBAY . In Ceylon we traveled by train from the port of Colombo to the inland capital Kandy, and saw elephants at Peradniya Gardens and tropical forests and bought postcard souvenirs. My passport was stamped at Ceylon January 25, 1932 and then not stamped again until Cairo, Egypt, but my recollection is that for some reason the PRESIDENT PIERCE needed to make an unscheduled stop on Bombay for a few hours. At that time the independence leader Mohandas Gandhi was in jail. As we sat in a large park, we watched a great many men in white Gandhi caps peacefully demonstrating for their Mahatma. EGYPT JANUARY 1932 "TILL THE SANDS OF THE DESERT GROW COLD!" As recommended in President Lines travel guides, we and most of the passengers went touring by rail while our ship slowly transited the Suez Canal. Jack had already been through Suez on the commercial ship WESTERNER the spring of 1920. In Cairo Egypt we stayed at Sheppheard's Hotel and hired a car and a guide called a dragoman to drive across the desert to the Sphinx and Pyramids. Two women passengers from the PIERCE whom we had not previously known Mrs. Conover and Mrs. Vosbury asked to join us to share expense.Unfortunately the car was an open one with no windows, and the ride across the desert was most unconfortably cold and sandy.Although we were wearing winter coats, we shivered and shook all the way across the desert, and our eyes smarted from small particles of sand. But after we reached the Sphinx, the weather seemed to grow warmer, and we were comfortable as we viewed it and walked around, while Jack took pictures. We make the strenuous long climb to the top of the great Pyramid, though many tourists skipped that. Sixty-six year old Mrs. Conover climbed with us.we managed to crawl all over the inside of the Great Pyramid. The inside of a pyramid is dank and dark and requires a great deal of climbing. Jack took some good pictures of me riding a camel.Jack always used to mention the song "Till the sands of the desert grow cold" - "And it was cold," he would remark.My Mount Holyoke l923 class had the Sphinx as its class symbol, and our class song by archaeologist Marion Nosser with music my Ruth King Dunne was entitled "The Sphinx" with the Sphinx's motto "NON SIBI SED OMNIBUS" -" not for oneself but for everyone." On the trip back to Cairo in the late afternoon there was a biting wind with blowing sand against which the car curtains offered very little protection. We went back to the Shepperd Hotel,where guests were already entering the dining room for dinner. We went to our room for dinner, but Jack decided to go to bed, though our meals were paid for under the "American plan". I was starved and dressed for dinner and got to the dining room just as it was closing. I sat with Mrs. Conover. As the meal progressed, a man at our table pointed out the violinist Jascha Heifetz & his wife movie actress Florence Vidor. We watched them leave the dining room and I understood he was giving a concert the next night. Our visit reminded me that my father had learned tailoring in Cairo in the l880's before coming to Hartford.p. 36 Touring Europe NAPLES-"COFFEE, MADAME?" As we approached Naples on the President Pierce, my clothes were mopre appropriate as it was February, & even sunny Italy was cold at that time of year.At the hotel I inquired about the cost of a double room & two meals daily on a weekly basis & when the man quoted the rate I thought it was expensive but accepted. We did go to Pompeii although it was too cold for Capri. We enjoyed looking at Vesuvius.After dinner the waiter questioned me,"Coffee, madame?" Although the coffee was too thick & too sweet I accepted it each evening but left most of it untouched.When we were ready to leave we asked for our bill and were stunned to find it seven times what we expected to pay.He quoted a daily rate instead of a wekkly rate I had carefully inquired azbout.And the coffee was an extra charge- more than a bottle of red wine.The manager just shrugged it off as a misunderstanding on our part.We learned an expensive lesson. ROME In Rome we found a fine pension with good food & reasonable lodging.Everything about our stay in rome was pleasant- the Colisum, the Vatican,the art galleries 7 all the usual tourist attractions.One noon we met a couple we had known on the PRESIDENT PIERCE- Mr. & Mrs. Harry Pardee of Saticoy,California.who were going around the world on a Cook's tour.They invited us to attend the opera with them that evening & to be their dinner guests at a nearby hotel.They said they we getting the best possible ticket & asked us to wear evening clothes. We set off for the opera dress in high style. The usher waved us upstairs. Mr. Pardee gave the tickets to the usher in the first balcony,but he waved us upstairs. This was repeated until we had reched the highest gallery & we were shown seats among people in street clothes.We had no opera glasses. The actors looked like pygmies.Mr. Pardee thought he had paid for orchestra seats & was incredulous (p37 FLORENCE "CAN WE PLEASE GO HOME?"When we arrived in Florence, we went to a pension near the Uffizi Gallery.The Uffizi was really an old palace- drafty & uncomfortable in an unusually cold February..Very few people were there.Jack took a great interest in the great works, but the marble floors were so cold that my feet actually hurt- Jack says I began asking, "Can we please go home?"In the Florence dining room one man always gave the Mussolini salute when he entered & left. VENICE Eventually we got to Venice, where we would not take a room until we felt the radiator- we were traveling by gondola, and our gondola waited while we inspected the room.As it turned out we were very comfortable in Venice, with a warm room, good food & excellent cheap white wine. Jack knew Venice well from his l909 visit with the Revenue Cutter School ship ITASCA, & we enjoyed all our sightseeing.One afternoon we were feeding the pigeons in Saint Mark's square when we met our friend Mr. Pardee, who was blue with the cold.This was serious as he was travelling for his health because of a circulatory disorder. He was staying in the expensive Royal Danielli hotel,but there was no heat there.Jack invited him to go with him to a shop where he bought long woolen underwear.Mr. Pardee put on the woolen underwear right in the shop.Then we got Mrs. Pardee,& they came to our pension to enjoy our heat & our white wine. Mr. Pardee sat right on our radiator. VIENNA "OCH- DER DONAU!"From Venice we went to Vienna, Austria. As my mother was born in Austria & I believe had spent some time in Vienna, I wanted to see the city & the Blue Danube river she had told me about.We found an excellent pension where many young Americans studying medicine lived.The food was ample & good & all the people were friendly.One morning we decided to look for the Danube.It was a gray day - we failed to find any river.Finally we stopped a woman who could speak no English & didn't know what I meant when I asked where the Danube was - in my college German- my mother had spoken a Galician Austro-German dialect at home.Finally I told her in German I was looking for the "Fluss Danube" & she suddenly understood & exclaimed, "Och- der DONAU!" She told us where to look, & I was disappointed to see a muddy slow stream that dull day in February.It was no BLUE Danube compared with the wonderfully BLUE Mediterranean we had seen on the Amalfi Drive outside Naples.We went to the opera in Vienna & sat in the first balcony among people in street clothes- people were munching sandwiches while waiting for the performance.We enjoyed Vienna and stayed as long as we could. MUNICH + OBERAMAGAU "HERR DOKTOR" In Munich we lived at the Pension Zenz for a most reasonable rate & were able to hire a car to Oberamagau out of season, where they showed us the costumes worn in the Christmas play.. We were in Munich at the tme of the Stark beer festival. People sat at the long tables eating sausages. They were very friendly & one couple wanted us to stay with them.People called Jack, "Herr doktor."The Museum of Science interested us greatly.A taxi driver who had been in the German Air Force l9l7-l9l8 took us about at greatly reduced cost because we allowed him to take his teen-aged son on our trips daily. PARIS RIVIERA MONACO MARSEIILES We took the train to Paris-where we lived in a good hotel & took most of our meals at the hotel.I tried frogs'legs, but Jack passed them up because he never ate anything with butter.He knew Paris well & showed me points of interest, especially paintings & sculpture in the Louvre Museum.We sat many hours on the banks of the Seine River just absorbing the atmosphere of Paris.We economized avoiding theaters & night clubs,saving for a trip to the Riviera, where we spent happy days in Nice &Mentone.We visited the Maritime Museum at Monaco, where a pursesnatcher grabbed my bag on a high stairway, but I held on firmly, & he gave up & ran away downstairs. We crossed into the Italian Riviera briefly- our passports were stamped going in, but we had to hurry back when the bus was leaving, so we were never properly stamped out again.Reluctantly we went to Marseilles on the day we were scheduled to sail for New York on the President VAN BUREN.Before we left, we enjoyed the famous fish soup boulabaise spelling? which Jack had enjoyed in l9l9 when aboard the USS SEATTLE bring American soldiers home to New York from Brest, Brittany end page 40 We had a very stormy, slow Atlantic crossing March 1932.When we boarded the VAN BUREN at Marseilles March 16, my trunk, with my new clothes for warm tropical weather -that had erroneously been put off the PRESIDENT PIERCE at Hong Kong -was aboard. The trunk itself was badly scarred and dirty but the contents were in perfect condition. It was a very rough trip. Even my husband, who always wanted to be out on deck aboard ship, contented himself with the ship's progress charts and good conversation in the lounge. One evning the smoke and confinement and noisy chatter in the lounge were just too much for me- I decided to go out and walk the deck for some fresh air and exercise.I had a hard time opening a door leading to the deck, but I finally managed. to pull it open, but as I was going out, the door banged shut again, catching my winter coat at the bottom and pinning me against the door out on the dark, windy, rain-swept deck., Although I tugged hard at my coat [14] I could not free it & I was petrified with fear.Finally I unbuttoned the coat, got my arms free of it took the coat off left it stuck in the door which I could not open. I ran as fast as I could to another door,which I couldn't open either.I was freezing on that cold deck when I saw someone with a flashlight coming along- a sailor who couldn't open the door either- but he took me down a ladder to a more sheltered door on the deck below, & I went above inside.My husband recovered my winter coat.Everyone agreed that I could have been blown overboard on that weather side.We lost more than five days on that trip across the Atlantic, arriving March 29 in New York. We were due to dock in New York very early in the morning, but we decided to stay aboard for breakfast,while waiting for the health and customs officials.We were out on deck on our way to the ship dining room for breakfast when a tall,good-looking man in his late thirties spotted my husband and smiled happily as he hailed us and rushed over to Jack- it was the first time I met his brother Bill. NEXT CHAPTER "COMMAND OF EAGLE 19 BOSTON 1932-1933, SOPHIE MEETS BARRETT FAMILY" FOOTNOTE In later contact with friends from PRESIDENT PIERCE 1932 the Barretts stayed in July 1939 at the lemon ranch of Harry Pardee in Saticoy, Ventura county California and visited Mrs. Dora Conover in Ossining New York summer 1940s. The Pardees also met the Barretts at San Pedro harbor of Los Angeles when they were boarding the Matson Line LURLINE to Hawaii July 10, 1941 - there was an elaborate send-off with long colored streamers. Dale Collins Captain of the PRESIDEMT PIERCE was a frequent visit at Barrett home Waikiki 1940s and played the Parker Brothers board game "Fire Chief" with John. The Barretts located him in 1970 and he wrote:. [Notebook 5 pages 285-7] Rear Admiral Dale E. Collins 459 Bever[wil?] Drive, Beverly Hills California, 90212 American President Lines SS PRESIDENT GARFIELD January 26, 1971 Dear Mrs. Barrett, Your letter of December 25 after many detours was finally received at home on January 11. = My wife Bettyna was in the hospital from December 16 1970 to January 18, 1971, and I was home on emergency leave. = = Before going into further detail I had better fill you in briefly on my past personal history since 1932. = Yes, I am the same Dale Collins that was chief officer in the PRESIDENT PIERCE when you and John traveled with us from Kobe to Naples. = As you perhaps know, I used to make training cruises about every year in various Navy vessels. = I was called to active duty in October,1941. I was navigator in the USS SPERRY from May, 1942, to November, 1942. I was commanding officer in the USS [ALUDU?] from December, 1942 to June, 1943, and was torpedoed and sunk off Guadalcanal on June 23, 1943. I next had command of the USS GUNSTUN HALL [?] LSD-5 and participated in all the Pacific operations from Kwajalein to Iwo Jma. = I was injured at Saipan while rehearsing for the Iwo Jima landings in February, 1945. I suffered a crushed pelvis by being caught between a landing boat and our flagship. = I was hospitalized for the rest of the war and was given command of the hospital ship USS CONSOLATION for one year before being restored to active duty on combatant vessels. = I served at the Naval War College 1946-1947,[then] Director Plans Division MSTS in Washington 1947-1949. = I was Commanding Officer USS GENERAL PUTNAM during Korean War 1951 to 1952. = I was Commander MSTS Mid-Pacific at Pearl Harbor 1952-1953 [and] Commander Service Division 31 at Senbo, Japan, 1953-1954. [I was] Chief of Staff to Commander MSTS 1954 to 1955. I was Commanding Officer USS MANCHESTER (light cruiser)1955-1956. = I was Chief of Staff to Commander Western Sea Frontier 1956-1957. = I retired from active duty in June, 1957. = (I transferred to Regular Navy 1946). = Upon retirement from active duty I returned to the American President Lines as skipper of various APL ships in the Round the World Service from 1957 to 1960, at which time I was transferred to shore duty with the American President Lines as manager of Industrial relations (Labor problems). = In ONSELATIONS (lABOR PROBLEMS).= In 1967 I reached the mandatory retirement age of sixty-five and retired as manager of Industrial Relations. = After retirement as Manager Industrial Relations I returned to sea as commanding officer of various American President Line vessels. There is no mandatory retirement age for skippers if you can pass the physical examination. = At present, as you can see, I am skipper of the SS PRESIDENT GARFIELD. Our itinerary includes Japan, Okinawa, Vietnam, Indochina, Singapore, -back to Japan -, thence to Los Angeles, - and on around to the East Coast to New York, Baltimore, Norfolk etc. = We arrived back in New York on December 25, 1970. On January 4 we arrived here in Baltimore and went into the shipyard for extensive overhaul and repairs. I took emergency leave on January 5th, as I was informed Bettyna was in the hospital. =On arrival at the St. John's Hospital on January fifth I found that Bettyna had TWO broken arms and had suffered a concussion. She had been struck by an auto while walking across Olympia Road near our home in Beverly Hills. She was returned from the hospital on January 18 although both her arms are still in casts, and she cannot even scratch her nose. She was required to vacate her room because she was considered 'ambulatory'- apparently the hospital desperately needs bed space. I was home when your letter arrived. = I returned to the ship last Monday, January 25th but will be relieved when the ship returns to the West Coast on or about February 15. I will have at least three months leave. = We were delighted to hear from you after all these years. We hope to hear from you again. Sincerely, Dale Collins."


Bruce MacLeod on Camp Kabeyun Franconia Range trip p 25-791 {K}


John Barrett junior was at Camp Kabeyun Alton Bay New Hampshire l951 to l959 mainly in mountain trips. Bruce MacLeod in this photo was on a Franconia Range trip l959. He was a l966 Yale alumnus and worked for World Bank, including fisheries at Lake Victoria, central Africa. His family were in Longmeadow, Massachusetts and later Cambridge MNassachusetts. His mother became a librarian at Curry College Milton and Harvard Law School. His brother Norman also was at Camp Kabeyun l950's. Their mother's family had a cattle ranch in eastern Oregon. His sister Marjory taught for some years in Hawaii.


Glee Clubs Concert Rousmaniere Hall Roxbury Latin p 25-792


Giusppe deLellis taught music Tuesdays and Fridays at Roxbury Latin and other days at Beaver Country Day School. The Glee Clubs had joint concert. Roxbury Latin had the Carnegie classical music collection including the Cesar Franck d minor stmphony, the Toscanini recording of Franz Schubert's Great C Major Symphony,the Bach Mass in b minor and Prokoffieff's satiric Lieutenant Kije Suite.