Red Headed Stepchild
(The Barrett family memoir of Navy Life)
by Sophie Ruth Meranski with photos


W#1231 p 73


EVOLUTION of ULNA, TIBIA, RADIUS, FIBULA October 2, 2001 This E mail will be sent initially to Drs. Farish Jenkins and C. Schaff at Harvard MCZ-OEB and to Professor David Pilbeam in Harvard Anthropology. Thereafter I shall probably send a copy to Dr. Jared Diamond, author of "The Three Chimps" and several orthopedic surgeons, including Dr. William Wheeler of Brookline, reputedly an authority on the human hand. Perhaps Tim Laman might forward a copy to Anthropologist Cheryl Knott? Recently I was studying Gray's Anatomy and noted some important differences between the bones and other structures of the forearm and hand versus the lower leg and foot. I am still studying the materials, and I hope I am not confused by the way Gray and probably other authors use the terms "Medial"and "Lateral". If I am reading correctly, both the radius and fibula are termed "lateral", but diagrams show the hand with palm upward so the thumb is away from the midline, whereas the sole of the foot is down, so that the big toe HALLUX is toward the midline. I read that the ULNA is the main bone of the ELBOW, and the TIBIA the main lower bone of the KNEE. However the RADIUS does connect to the ELBOW, whereas the human FIBULA does not form part of the KNEE JOINT. I am very much interested to know the evolutionary history or comparative MORPHOLOGY of these Bones. If I read Gray correctly, the RADIUS meets the hand near the base of the THUMB and turns in a wide angle when the hand is rotated to turn the palm upward. Meanwhile the ELBOW and ULNA remain stationary as support. In the ANKLE the FIBULA is subcutaneous on the LATERAL OUTSIDE of the ankle leading down toward the Lateral CUNEIFORM bony and the little TOE, whereas the TIBIA connects toward the TALUS, CUBOID bone and HALLUX big toe. The rotation of the foot and FIBULA is much less than that of the RADIUS and HAND. I saw a recent article - a Time magazine cover story on hominid fossils from the Great Rift Valley of northeastern Ethiopia - where a lava flow provides an age over 5.6 million years, and the fossil shows adaptations of the foot for walking erect. Dr. Haile Selassie at Berkeley is mentioned as the discoverer. In most of the great apes, and I think other primates all four limbs are adapted for grasping tree branches. I wonder how far the evolutionary history of these bones and limbs has been worked out in human ancestors and how far there may be homology between various structures of fore- and hind- limbs. As I understand it, human ancestors were arboreal for many millions of years, affecting limb structure, social behavior, diet [including loss of ability to make Vitamin C while on ahigh-fruit diet]. Before that early primates mammals I understand were insctivorous, and I do not know at what point they became arboreal. Tetrapod limbs ultimately trace back to paired fins of fish, especially perhaps the lobe-finned groups, and embryology as well as paleontology probably provides evidence as to specific genes and ancestral structures. I hope to make further investigation - additions or corrections to the preceding outline will be helpful, and I suggest these areas present interesting opportunities for research. A major question: Are the ULNA and TIBIA and RADIUS and FIBULA "homologous", and at what periods in time did they diverge? One possible factor might be if GENES or CELLS somehow were transferred from ONE LIMB to the OTHER. Comparably, the bird HOATZIN has claws on its wings - one might at first assume that their ancestors have had them since time immemorial - but might there be a possibilty that GENES from the LEG somehow were activated at possibly homologous sites on the wing? ANTENNAPEDIA genes sometimes transfer at least experimentally from one body segnent to another in insects. In grasses there seems to be a comparable phenomenon - the PANICOID grasses normally have one fertile female floret that forms a seed, but there is a HAWAIIAN Panicoid species where a reversal of character states seems probable. The ancestor had one fertile and one sterile floret, but somehow genes for fertility appear to have migrated into the floret that was sterile in the ancestor. Did genes migrate from the foot of the HOATZIN ancestor to the wing? Could there have been gene migrations between fore- and hind- limb - mutations in PRIMATES? Any comments or future research will be appreciated. John B. Barrett 113 West Third St., Port Angeles WA98362-2824 Harvard college 1957 law 1960


p 73-1232 Lepidoptera genera


Abraxas Acanthobrahmaea Achaea Acherontia Acraea Acronicta Actias Actinote Adscita Aedia Aenetus Agarista Aglais Aglia Agraulis Agriades Agrias Agrius Agrodiaetus Agrotis Alabama Albulina Albuna Alcides Alsophila Alypia Amathuxidia Amauris Amblypodia Amphicallia Amphipyra Amsacta Anaphaeis Anaphe Anartia Angerona Anomis Anteos Anthela Antheraea Anthocharis Antichloris Apatura Aphantopus Apoda Apodemia Aporandria Aporia Appias Araschnia Archiearis Arctia Argema Argynnis Arhopala Aricia Arniocera Aroa Ascalapha Asterocampa Atlides Attacus Autographa Automeris Basilarchia Battus Bematistes Bindhara Biston Boarmia Boloria Bombycopsis Bombyx Brahmaea Brenthis Brephidium Bunaea Busseola Calephelis Caligo Callicore Callimorpha Callioratis Calliteara Callophrys Callosamia Calpodes Calyptra Campylotes Candalides Carterocephalus Castalius Castnia Catacroptera Catocala Catonephele Catopsilia Celastrina Cepheuptychia Cephonodes Cerapteryx Cercyonis Cerura Cethosia Charaxes Charidryas Chasara Chelepteryx Cheritra Chliara Chlorocoma Chrysiridia Chrysodeixis Chrysozephyrus Cithaerias Citheronia Cizara Clostera Cocytius Coeliades Coenonympha Coequosa Colias Colobura Colotis Coscinocera Cossus Cressida Crypsiphona Ctenucha Cucullia Cydia Cynthia Cyrestis Dactyloceras Danaus Danima Danis Daphnis Dasychira Datana Deilephila Delias Dendrolimus Desmeocraera Deudorix Diaethria Digglesea Dione Diphthera Dismorphia Divana Doleschallia Doxocopa Drepana Dryas Dynastor Dysphania Eacles Earias Ecpantheria Eilema Elymnias Ennomos Enodia Epargyreus Epicoma Epimecis Erannis Erateina Erynnis Eryphanis Estigmene Euchloron Euchromia Eucraera Eueides Eumaeus Eupackardia Euphaedra Euplagia Euploea Euploe Euproctis Eupseudosoma Euptychia Eurema Eurodryas Eurytela Eurytides Euschemon Euthalia Euxanthe Everes Faunis Feniseca Freyeria Gangara Gastropacha Geometra Glaucopsyche Gonepteryx Gonometa Graellsia Grammia Grammodes Grammodora Graphium Gunda Habrosyne Hamadryas Hamanumidia Hamearis Harrisana Hebomoia Heliconius Helicopis Heliothis Hemaris Hemerocampa Hemiargus Hemiolaus Hepialus Hesperilla Heteronympha Heteropterus Himantopterus Hipparchia Hippotion Hofmannophila Hyalophora Hyles Hypena Hyphantria Hypochrysops Hypocysta Hypolimnas Idea Ideopsis Iolana Iphiclides Jamides Janomima Kallima Kallimoides Lachnocnema Ladoga Lampides Lamproptera Laothoe Lasiocampa Leptidea Leptocneria Leptosia Leptotes Leto Libythea Libytheana Limenitis Liphyra Liptena Lithosia Loepa Lophocampa Loxura Lycaena Lycia Lycorea Lymantria Lysandra Malacosoma Mamestra Manduca Maniola Marpesia Mechanitis Megalopalpus Megothymus Melanargia Melanitis Menander Melinaea Melitaea Mesene Metamorpha Metisella Miletus Milionia Mimacraea Mimas Minois Morpho Mylothris Myrina Mythimnia Nataxa Neophasia Neptis Nerice Netrocoryne Noctua Notodonta Nudaurelia Nyctemera Nymphalis Ochlodes Ocinara Oenochroma Oenosandra Ogyris Omphax Operophtera Opodiphthera Oreisplanus Oreta Ornithoptera Orygia Ourapteryx Pachliopta Pachypasa Paleochrysophanus Palasea Palla Panacella Pandoriana Pantoporia Papilio Paracles Pararge Patathyma Parides Parnassus Parrhasius Parthenos Penicillifera Pereute Peridroma Perina Phalera Philaethria Philotes Plogophora Pholides Phoebis Pholisora Phragmatobia Phyciodes Pierella Pieris Pinara Plagodis Plebejus Plutella Poecilmitis Poladryas Pologonia Polyommatus Polyura Pontia Porella Precis Premolis Prepona Prionxystus Prochoerodes Protambulyx Psalis Pseudacraea Pseudoips Phosphinx Pyrgus Pyrrharctica Pyrochalcis Quercusia Rapala Rheumoptera Rhinopalpa Rhodogastria Rhodometria Salamis Samia Sasakia Saturnia Schizura Scoliopteryx Scoptes Selenia Semiothisa Sesia Sibine Siproeta Smerinthus Spalgis Speyeria Sphinx Spilosoma Spindasis Spodoptera Stauropus Sthenopus Stichophthalma Strymonidia Strymon Symbrenthia Synemon Syntarucus Syntheta Syntomis Syrmatia Tagora Tajuria Taygetis Teia Tellervo Teracotona Terinos Termessa Thalaina Thaumetopoea Thauria Thecla Theope Theophila Thinopteryx Thorybes Thyatira Thyridia Thysania Tisiphone Tithorea Tolype Trabala Trichoplusia Troides Tyria Uraneis Urbanus Utethesia Vanessa Venusia Vindula Virchola Xanthia Xanthisthisa Xanthophan Xanthophastis Xanthoroe Ypthima Zelotypia Zerene Zerynthia


TOUCEY and destroyers p 73 1233w


Holtman or Abbott may be officer in photo with Mollie & Kate Barrett Oc 1921 at Newport inow at Port Angeles not on website F 19'99 Barrett transfer from p 61 #1134 112 TOUCEY log #1134 On 9 June l97l DC Alard, the head of the OperationalArchives Branch of the Naval History division, Washington D.C. wrote, "Dear Mrs Barrett, This replies to your letter of 13 May concerning the TOUCEY.Enclosed are copies of TOUCEY's log for 19-20 March l921 when the TOUCEY was aground. TOUCEY was scrapped in l930. The attached extracts from the Navy Directory for February and April l921 list the oficers on board at that time. We believe that the only one of these individuals who is still alive is Captain EdwinD. Gibb, USN Retired.His address is General Post Office Box 9l3 New Yrok, New York 10001. Enclosed: Log of TOUCEY for l9-20 March l921 Extracts from Navy Directory for February and April 1921." Ships Roster of Officers February 1, l921 lieutenant commander P.L. Carroll, commanding Lieutenat E.D. Gibb, engineer Ensign J.T. Acres Lieutenat jg E. F. Carr, supply officer. -- April 1, l921 Lieutenant Commander P.L. Carroll commanding Lieutenant J. E. Kenmore Lieutenant J. b. Barrett, R.F. (Executive officer and Navigator Lieutenant jg Straits gunnery Ensign J. T. Acres Lieutenant jg Ellory F. Carr Supply Officer. USS TOUCEY (282) 19 March l921 Log Remarks: Until 4 am Steaming as before on course 215 psc 216 true leading column standard speed twelve knots folowed by DALLAS, BRECK, DALE and REID in order named. At 3:02 moon set At 3:15 vibration, called Captain and at once ordered "Left rudder." Felt slight lurch as if grazing bottom. - Slowed. 1/3 speed then STOP and "Breakdown" Light Stopped engines- ship's head swinging to port and losing way till at 3:19, after touching lightly two or three times - GROUNDED resting easily on heading 209 degrees psc. Had meanwhile signalled other ships in formation that we were aground, instructing them to stand out to deep water on easterly courses.At 3:19 began to list to port.Called all officers and chief petty officers and had them inspect ship to ascertain if any damage had been done.Called "All Hands" and had life belts handy about decks. Chief Carpenter's Mate and Chief Water Tender inspected compartments and reported no apparent damage.At 3:25 finding efforts to move ship astern or ahead by engines unsuccessful, - began discharging fuel oil overboard to lighten ship. Lowered motor sailer and whaleboat to take soundings round ship - meanwhile sounding from deck showed two fathoms.USS DALLAS standing by in deep water to the eastward.Average steam 245. Average revolutions 150. Signed - J.B..Barrett, Lieutenant N.R. F. - 4:00 to 8:00 Am Aground onshoal as before at 4:30. USS REID radioed bearing of Sapello Light as 35l degrees true. At 4:41 at high water resumed attempt to back off shoal.Starboard engine "two thirds astern" -at 4:55 stopped engine. At 5:06 both engines "Two thirds astern." At 5:10 both engines stopped. Gradually assumed a ten degree list on falling tide. Examined all watertight doors to see if they were closed and battened down all hatches.Placed life preservers and Kapok matresses conveniently on deck.Shifted port life raft to starboard - higher - side. Ship's position first approximately located about 4:30 by radio bearing from REID on Sapello Island Light and from Saint Simon after Range Light, which had shown up from the haze. Position positively located at about 5:30 when Sapello Light bore 356 degrees true and Saint Simon after Range Light 231 degrees true, showing ship to be on a shoal at the mouth of Hampton River, Little Simon Island.Latitude 31-12-30 N. Longitude 81-16-00 W - At 5:45 motor sailer from DALLAS in charge of Ensign Bricker USN transferred the following passengers to the DALLAS (The list of passengers is given in the Log remarks They were sailors from the USS HOPEWELL, USS O'BRIEN,USS COLE, USS J>F> TALBOTT, USS TAYLOR, and USS BELL. Forty-four sailors from these ships were passengers on the TOUCEY and were transferred to DALLAS by motor sailer in charge of Ensign Bricker of DALLAS.) Began rigging towing gear aft - At 7:00 tug approached DALLAS and anchored, and whaleboat was sent to direct tug towards ship's position. At 7:10 began pumping out four starboard tanks to compensate for that which had been pumped out upon grounding. At 7:25 secured number four boiler, leaving number three boiler in use for auxiliary purposes. Took soundings regularly and found all compartments dry. Up to 8:00 discharged ten thousand gallons of oil to lighten ship. Signed - C.H. Foster USN Examined by J. B.Barrett USN, Navigator approved by P.L. Carroll, captain. - 8:AM to Meridian Aground as before - ten degrees list to port. At 9:00 took soundings off all compartments, and all foiund dry. Sent whaleboat out with Ensign Schiano and Thompson R.R. CQM USN to take soundings in the body of water astern, which by reason of no breakers indicated depth- with the idea of delineating possible channel for getting clear of the shoal. At 11:00 took soundings in all compartments and found them dry.Made preparations with life rafts and boats in case of emergency. At 11:30 knocked off all work and served dinner and rebattened down all hatches. At ll:45 made same soundings of all compartments and found all of them dry. Signed C. H. Foster Lieutenant USN - Meridian to 4:00 pm -Aground as before. USS DALLAS standing by in deeper water in an easterly direction. At low water soundings around ship showed greatest depth of eight feet aft.Listed nine degrees to port. Boats engaged in sounding to develop water in vicinity available for working off.Planted three buoys and prepared range and bearing data on soundings referred to ship's position to delineate best chance. At 2:20 prepared to get under way and at 2:35 began working engines astern in attempt to work aft iinto deeper water. Worked out about fifty feet toward first buoy swinging hard to left and having three degrees list. At 3:25 began discharging fuel oil to lighten ship.Took soundings of all compartments hourly during watch, and all found dry. signed - J. B. Barrett, Lieutenant N.R. F. - 4:00 to 8:00 pm Aground as before. At 4:20 USS B tug BALDROCK anchored at mouth of apparent channel two miles eastward of ship's position. At 4:50 whaleboat returned to ship. - 6:00 whaleboat returned to ship with sixty fathoms six-inch hauser for tug BALDROCK. -7:50 whaleboat returned and secured astern after having left R.R. Thompson CQM USN from the USS TAYLOR on board tug. Soundings of all compartments and magazines made hourly during watch, and all found dry. Signed C. B. Schiano, Ensign, U. S.Navy" 8:00 to midnight Aground as before. Drift lead over the side. Resting easily with a three degree list to Port. on heading 96-30 psc. - At 8:30 tug UMPQUA stood in and anchored near Dallas. Hourly soundings taken in all compartments, and all of them found dry.All hatches except engine room battened down, and men sleeping on deck. At l0:30 low water, took soundings around ship. - At 11:15 JAMISCRAW (YANISCRAW?) stood in and anchored near DALLAS.Sea moderate. Light southeasterly wind. Breakers ahead and on either bow. Sand bar above water on starboard quarter.Sapelo Light bearing 357 degrees true.Shipping board tug BALDROCK got under way and again anchored, bearing 120 degrees psc distance three miles. Simon after Range Light bore 231 degrees true. Signed - Oscar Holtman, Lieutenant USN Examined J. B Barrett N.R. F.Lieutenant, Navigator - approved P.L.Carroll, Lieutenant Commander USN 20 March l921 Commence and until 4:00 AM Aground as before in Latitude 31-12-30 N. Longitude 81-16 W. Sapelo Light bearing 231 degrees true. USS DALLAS, USCG tug YAMACRAW and USS B tug BALDROCK standing by anchored in company three miles to the southeast. BALDROCK bearing 121 degrees psc. Boiler number three in use for auxiliary purposes. Drift lead over the side.All hatches except those of the engine room battened down, and men sleeping on the deck.Resting easily with three degree list to port.Soundings dry. Sea moderate, light southeasterly wind.Breakers ahead and on each bow. Sand bar above water on starboard quarter. Tide running to flood. At 3:10 lit off number four boiler and made preparations for getting under way. Soundings about ship increasing, and at 3:45 slid astern off shoal and backed out, anchoring with port anchor. Standing by for daylight to get under way and try to pass through channel sounded out previous day.- At 4:30 got under way and backed out toward buoy previously laid using searchlight to locate same and sounding rapidly so as to determine depth. Anchored several times when uncertain. Finally anchored at 5:04 in fifteen and a half feet of water with short scope of chain.At daybreak boats from the DALLAS and YAMSACROW reported alongside in obedience to signal and received buoys for continued laying of channel. At 6:15 got under way - backed out following DALLAS's motor sailer. Anchored several times when in doubt until 6:50 when touched ground in passing too close to one of the buoys laid.At 7:00 commenced pumping oil out of after tanks and using engines to get clear of shoal, but without avail. Total amount of oil pumped five thousand gallons. The ship again became fully grounded off the channel in a position about two hundred yards northeasterly of the point of first grounding.Took soundings during watch and found compartments dry. All compartments battened down, and crew required to remain on deck.In attempting to back off, port propeller block damaged.Signed C. H. Foster, Lieutenant, USN - 8:00 AM to Meridian Aground as before, heading 180 psc five feet of water at low tide. All compartments closed except engine room. At 8:02 UMPQUA and BALDROCK stood near DALLAS.Ship assumed a nine degree list to port. At 9:45 DALLAS motor dory and UMPQUA's motor sailer came alongside to confer with Commanding Officer as to plans. At 10:05 DALLAS's dory left the ship, running a line in direction of DALLAS. INCA stood in from sea and anchored near DALLAS at 10:30. At 11:15 low water slack- listed to port nine degrees, resting easily. No damage to Hull sustained.All compartments dry. Least depth of water five feet at number one tube, starboard side.- O.H. Holtman,Lieutenant U.SN Examined by J. B. Barrett, N.R.F. Navigator - Approved P. L. Carroll Meridian to 4:00 pm #113 , 5 Jun 1998 15:14:41 -0700 (PDT) John Barrett B. Abbott."He was detacged from the TOUCEY 13 January l9022 at the Navy Yard ChaRLESTON DETACHED USS COLUMBIA L9 JANUARY L922 GUANCANAYABO Cuba Reported USS WYOMING 19 January l922 Gulf ofGuancanoyabo, Cuba to Captain H. B. Price. In l921 while on the TOUCEY Jack took the examinations for Lieutenant n the regular Navy. On the TOUCEY on 25 November l921 Jack signed:" I hereby acknowledge receipt of discharge from the U>S. Naval Reserve Force, to be effective 25 November l921, the day preceding acceptance and execution of oath of office for appointment in the Navy. On 26 November 1921 Jack wrote the Bureau of Navigation, I hereby respectfully acknowledge receipt of a commission as Lieutenant in the Navy. I return herewith acceptance and oath of office executed thisdate. While on the TOUCEY the Bureau of Navigation sent a message to jack : The President of the United States by and with the consent of the Senate having appointed you as Lieutenant in the Navy from the third day of August l920, I have the pleasure to transmit your commission dated 7 November l921. - H.H. Crosby, November 14, l921..In Janua21 ( the 27th) was on the USS STRINGHAM as a Lieutenant USNRF Jack received a message from the Bureau of N avigation:"You will regard yourself detached from your present station,will proceed and report for duty in accordance with following instructions: when directed by the Commander, Destroyer Force,Alanttic Fleet detached from the STRINGHAM, proceed to the port in which the USS TOUCEY may be and report to the Commanding Officer for such duty as may be assigned you aboard that vessel." I May 1921 Jack sent a message to the Secretary of the NavyIt is reported that I have this date relieved Lieutenant Commander Carroll as Commanding Officer of the USS TOUCEY. No general drills were held. inasmuch as as Executive officer I am familiar with the organizationf this vessel.Signed Barrett,Lieutenant. USNRF And on May 31, l921 Jack wrote to the Captain , P.L. Carroll "I hereby take over the general mess. of the USS TOUCEY on this date. At this time there is an unusual allowance of $408.34, and stores by inventory to the amount of $1396.37. " Some papers showed that Jack had to replace a lost or stolen pair of binoculars which had been in his custody. The written professional examination for Lieutenant USN was held on16 May 1921,while Jack was on the TOUCEY. The physical exam was on May10, l921.When Jack was made a full Lieutenant in the Unitee States Navy in August l921 Commander Carroll wrote him a congratulatory letter saying he knew Jack would pass the examination and was delighted at how well he did. Whe Jack boarded the TOUCEY her home port was Charleston, South Carolina, At a ship's open house,he met Marie Nelson and Rolfe Druen - two very attractivegirls who lived and worked in Charleston, and after that Rolfe often saw Lieutenant Oscar Holtman of the TOUCEY,and Jack saw Marie Nelson.He had a lot of Shore Patrol duty while on the TOUCEY, and when it was over he ws hungry and would go to the Nelson home where he got"the best food in Charleston." and received hospitality in a delightful home. Marie had sisters- Irene, Stella, Lucile, and a younger brother Harold, about fourteen. Mrs. NelsonlikedJack, and her husband did too. A lifelong friendship developed between Jack and the Nelson family of Charleston, South Carolina. Mr. Nelson enjoyed poker games with his friend, and they all enjoyed the sandwiches and coffee served at their games. Although Mr. Nelson let Jack watch the games and take refreshments, he would not allow him to play because the stakes were too high for the pocketbook of a young Naval officer. Jack left the TOUCEY in January l922 about the time Marie Nelson married Charles Harman Rowe of Philadelphia. When the MARBLEHEAD was being put in commissionin Philadelphia in l924, Jack saw Marie Nelson Rowe in Philadelphia and also saw her later iin New York City in August of l928 when she was visiting her friend Anne Taylor McCormack at whose apartment I was living. NMarie had some excellent pictures of Jack in uniform during his MARBLEHEAD days.She kindly sent them to su for our research. Her sister Lucile Nelson studied voice seriously, taking lessons in France with Madame Calve. In l928 she sang in Sigmund Romburg's "BlossomTime" - a fictionalized treatment of the life of composer Franz Schubert. As Jack's guest she sang aboard a Japanese ship in New York Harbor when Jack took her aboard with him as his guest about l928. She sang inJapanese and pleased Jack when she was given a tremendous ovation on the big ship. During this period there were some genuine friendships between American and Japanese naval officers, and for a number of years Jack received remarkable letters from a Japanese Naval Ofricer named Toshitani Takata. In a fitnessreport writeen by Commander Carroll in l921 he wrote: "Lieutenant Barrett is a well trained seagoing oficer especially prepared in navigational subjects and seamanship. He shows close attention to duty with painstaking care in the exercise of his duties.On the occasion of the grounding of this vessel on Shoal, Georgia,March l9, l921 he showed excellent officer qualities.For a period of thirty=six consecutive hours he worked with ability and tireless energy toward getting the vessel off the shoals into safety and it is considered that his work helped directly in the safe outcome of a dangerous situation. On the twentieth of March l922 Commander P. L. Carroll wrote to jack: "My dear Barrett: Just a line to let you know that today I have been thinking over the experience (of the TOUCEY on the shoal off Georgia) of a year ago. My thought are concentrated on the group of loyal officers whose courage and ability enabled us to come with some honor out of an almost hopeless situation.Your own steadfastness and loyalty were no small part in saving the ship. There is much to remember over our association.onnthe TOUCEY, - always we should look back with pleasure. over our association with the ship., I can assure you that I will never forget our days together when we were fighting for the ship.No wreck has come to my career or reputation, - but if we had been pulled off by the aid of others, the story would have been a different one for me.So I owe much to your faith and help. So I greet you - Sincerely, Your friend - P.L. Carroll." "The first hundred years are the hardest." "Shipwrecks of the Pacific Coast" pp 263-5 and two photos between pages 167-7 tells of seven destroyers beached near Honda Point 75 miles northwest of Santa Barbara, California September 9, 1923 with loss of twenty-two lives in fog. They had been "following the leader" as orders required, and at high speed [check 20? 30?? knots]. Four hours earlier commercial steamer had grounded, leading to unusual radio traffic, which disrupted navy operations. Text says this was U.S. Navy's worst peacetime disaster.Hundreds of personnel had to be resued in vicinity of Point Arguello mid California coast not far from San Luis Obispo. They were part of eighteen destroyer squadron, and other eleven ships offshore could not assist. This demonstrates the imperfect hydrography, charting, radio and fog navigation as of early 1920s.Many of Jack Barrett's Revenue Cutter School classmates and friends and contemporaries were involved in developing LORAN and other navigational aids for Fog, Ice, high wind conditions, particularly Commodore E.M. Webster, head of Coast Guard Communications some years and later an FCC Federal Communications Commissioner. The TOUCEY's March 1921 grounding near Savannah illustrates the problems but fortunately occurred at low speed in soft shoal inshore in protected area withouit extreme weathyer. 103CLAXTONradio messages 1935-6 Delahanty, Hottelet #1135 p 61 From the radio messages of the CLAXTON we learn much about her while Jack was in command. November 11, l935 from Bureau of Engineering to the CLAXTON:NYD Norfolk letter 8 November CLAXTON starboard turbines. In view of satisfactory


p 72-1234








p 73-1236 New York from Notebook 4 p 262


John enjoyed the Bronx Zoo, Owl's Head Park Brooklyn near us where he fed the squirrels, Fort Hamilton on Shore Road, [occasionally Prospect Park further away] and th hill in front of our house across the highway which led down to the water's edge.He played with his toy animals Mitzie the cat and Peter Rabbit and gathered grasses and wild flowers.There were apple blossoms, morning glories, and thistles.. To celbrate his fifth birthday in April 1941 we invited six-year-old Joan Rooney from the first floor downstairs for ice cream and cake after the evening meal.She was one of the few children nearby, as there were small families in the 1930s. She appears in some photos at Christmas 1940, and her mother cooked lunch for the Barretts June 30, 1941, the day they were leaving by train for Los Angeles and Hawaii. The spring of 1941 Jack had received orders to proceed to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii for duty. World War II was raging in Europe,and Jack was upset at the prospect of leaving John and me alone in Brooklyn while he went off to Hawaii, especially as he was certain that war with Japan was imminent. He opposed sales of scrap iron to Japan and frequently told his brother Bill and Brooklyn neighbors that the United States would soon be at war. Later in Hawaii, it was frequently Captain Paul Rice, his old friend from gunboat TULSA in China 1930-31 with whom he would discuss his concerns about Japanese aggression and the vulnerability of Pearl Harbor ships, oil tanks, and repair yards.At the Overseas Transportation Office he insisted all personnel file leave papers in writing when leaving the Honolulu area on weekends, when some would travel to other islands such as Maui or "the Big Island" of Hawaii. Jack was amazed when he learned that dependents were still allowed to go to Hawaii, and he made arrangements for John and me to sail from Los Angeles on the Matson liner LURLINE in July 1941. [about July 9 or 10, arriving Honolulu July 15, 1941].So again John crossed the country in the heat of the summer, but now he had his father with him. There is no doubt that the constant uprooting from familiar surroundings was hard on the five-year-old.At the end of the long cross country train ride there was only a hotel far from the center of Los Angeles, - a hotel that served no food.We had to find food out for three meals a day.That is very hard on a young child and his parents, too, as restaurant food is rarely suitable in the heat of summer for a small boy. We spent a whole week in Los Angeles waiting for the LURLINE and didn't even have our car, which was shipped from Brooklyn to Hawaii. I suppose the taxi driver who took us on the long ride from the station to the hotel [where no food was served] got a rebate from the hotel for every guest he delivered. Except for the lack of food, the hotel was suitable, because it was far from the croweded center of the city and was reasonably priced in a section of Los Angeles where we had so much free time to wander about with a five-year-old for a whole week.We had to vacate our apartment in Brooklyn June 30 or pay another -p.262- full month's rent. So we gave it up and went off to Los Angeles. When we finally boarded the LURLINE, we found ourselves in a spacious suite, - a living room, a bedroom with an extra cot, and a private bath. We were admiring our quarters when Mr. and Mrs, Pardee, our Saticoy friends from the l932 PRESIDENT PIERCE world tour Japan to Naples,- appeared to see us off,- and when they remarked about the elegance of the quarters, Jack explained that they cost the Navy only the cost of an ordinary first class passage- that the Matson line had no cabin for us -but had an unclaimed suite and gave it to us. The Matson Line supplied musicians on the dock and gave the passengers long colored paper streamers to throw down to their friends - very large numbers, which gave a very festive effect on a bright sunny day.I was well supplied with coats for myself and John, as I had often needed a coat, even in the tropics aboard ships under way in the evenings.John, like his mother and father, proved to be a good sailor- we missed no meals and had an uneventful trip to Honolulu, - where Jack's [predecessor? immediate superior?] Captain Knowles and our Chna-and-Panama friends Captain and Mrs. Paul and Gertrude Rice and their twenty-yea-old daughter Nathalie met us at the dock and put [frangipani] flower leis around my neck-- Gertrude laughed at all the coats on my arm saying I'd have no use for them in Hawaii. (We were never evacuated, but many families evaucated to San Francisco after the December 1941 attack were unprepared for cold weather). Captain Knowles left for his office soon after greeting us,but the rest of us all went to the Moana Hotel on Waikiki Beach in Captain Rice's car.We were scheduled to have quarters at Makalapa adjoining Pearl Harbor, but they were not quite ready, and of course our furniture had not arrived in Hawaii and was not expected for some time. Captain Rice returned to work at Pearl Harbor and took Jack to report for duty, but Getrude and Nathalie stayed with us several hours visiting in the Moana courtyard. We remained at the Moana Hotel July 15 to 28- we found the banyan tree in the courtyard very interesting and soon learned that each evening the guests were entertained there by hula dancers and musicians performing under lights by the banyan.When jack returned from Pearl Harbor, we took a quick dip on Waikiki Beach right in back of the Hotel.


Letters Dave Marvin 1938 G Bradford 1933 w1237 p 73?


SMB NOtebook 5- pp. 160-1 To Lt. Cdr. J.B. Barrett USN, Fourth Naval district, Navy Yard, Philadelphia, PA.3354 Dumas St. San Diego CA 14 April 1938 Dear Jack, That duty on the new TRINITY will be very fine- except that tankers do not in the merchant service at least stay in port much of any. But it is just possible that this one will stay in port at San Diego. In some ways that duty will be very interesting, though you will have a tough time not lighting that pipe whenever you want, Jack. = Some years ago I was approached by a Britisher, Mr. Holtzapfel, with the suggestion that we go to work to establish a kind of nitrocellulose paint for the insides of oil tanks. It seems that at present there is no method for the preservation of steel of such tanks, so that bulk tank vessels just naturally rust through in about fifteen or twenty years. Holtzapfel had a paint something chemically like Duco, that was totally insoluble in fuel or crude oils or gasoline. He had owned the International Paint Company and was thoroughly used to selling all kinds of paints. I held back, and have never heard any more of the stuff, except that Holtzapfel had died. Privately, I do not think that any paint known to man will stand the acid, sand, and mechanical action of oil in the tanks of a ship. Perhaps the solution will be found in stainless steels of some kind. = How fast is the TRINITY? The Japs have eighteen knot ships on this coast, running from [San] Pedro [p. 5--161] to Japan, they are H.I.J.M.N vessels [??His Imperial Japanese Majesty's Navy?] , and I see their crews on liberty at times. = We are all getting along pretty well; just now the excitement is that our cat has five black kittens. Does your boy want one? They were born yesterday. We would like to have you establish your family in Loma Portal, the best and handiest of the residence stations- though there are no apoartments here. Have you your own furniture? = You are indeed to be congratulated about not being retired; these are hard days for the ex-temporary officers, in both the Navy and the Coast Guard. Probably,- with the possibility of a large increase in personnel, there will be little danger of early retirement. = Please let me know if there if any re-connoitering I can do for you. - Very sincerely yours, Dave Marvin {Revenue Cutter School 1912 classmate] P.S. Clement J. Todd, -resigned {USCG] about ten years ago, lives in Corona California about eighty miles north of here. He has a very largwe house and four or five children - one a yuear old." [end Dave MARVIN letter] Note by Sophie Barrett- Jack, John and I visited Marvin's home very late in 1938 - November or December. WE met his wife and saw his workshop in the garage but did not settle in Loma Point as it was too isolated for us- no apartments, and Jack was away almost all the time. Our furniture was in storage in San Diego, but we stayed at the Betsy Ross apartments in Coronado. I do not remember seeing any children at the Marvins'. = Clement Todd came to Los Angeles to see us off when we left on the LURLINE for Hawaii in July 1941. p 5- 173 to Lt [Cdr] J.B. Barrett USN,- USS EAGLE 19, Navy Yard, Boston Mass. -- [from] Gershom Bradford 4701 Reservoir road, Washington D.C. August 29, 1933-- Dear "Doc".- Your letter was forwarded from the Office to Duxbury where I was on leave. I was sorry not to be able to get up and see you at the Yard, but my time was too much taken up.I am glad that you have the assignment to the [survey ship] HANNIBAL, and feel it is a good duty. = Here in Pilot Charts, of which McManus is civilian chief, we are greatly interested in the new dynamic method of determining ocean circulation. It is used by the Coast Guard on the [Grand?] Banks in their estimation of probable drift of [ice] bergs and by other scientific organizations. McManus got the Admiral interested and procured considerable equipment for use on the HANNIBAL last winter. I expect that there will be considerable work along this line that will be laid out for the next season. = This dynamic sounding makes a lot of work for the "exec." [Executive Officer] , and I guess it will not prove very popular with thst officer. However, it is work we should keep abreast of, if we are going to amount to anything at all in a scientific way. = You are obliged to stop the ship and take soundings to a great depth, and it requires a great deal of care as there is from three thousand dollars worth of equipment, or more, on the line. I guess you know about it. = The office is not the same as it used to be. There are twenty-two officers, I believe, now, and we naturally are submerged with supervision. I have more of it after twenty years than I did then on one-third the money.However, no one is disagreeable, and I work for the money, not for fame. I am better known to the maritime community than to the officers in the office, so I get some satisfaction in that. The money is vastly better-'..." end page 173 Notebook Five Sophie Barrett- letter iincomplete from Gershom Bradford.


p 73-1240 Notebook 4 pages 262-7


From notebook 4 p 262 bottom- We had crossed the continent by train and to Hawaii by fast steamer, whereas our -263- furniture would follow the cheapest means of transportation for the government - probably water all the way. = Captain Rice returned to his work at Pearl Harbor, taking Jack with him to report for duty and John and I stayed in the courtyard of the Moana Hotel with Gertrude and Nathalie for several hours.The heat and glare were difficult for John and me, but we were lucky to be with two people I knew instead of alone in the hot room. We found the banyan tree very interesting and soon learned that each evening the guests were entertained by hula dancers and musicians performing under lights near the banyan. When Jack returned from Pearl Harbor that first day, we tried Waikiki Beach right in back of the Moana Hotel, but found the heat and glare oppressive, so took a quick dip and returned to the shade of the Moana porch. In the early evening on that porch we were joined by Captain and Mrs. Rice, and listened to the male Hawaiian singers and musicians. Honolulu was a very crowded place. It was summer, and every hotel was filled with tourists and with Service personnel who couldn't find a place to live. The Fleet was at Pearl Harbor,- dependents were still allowed to go to Hawaii, and there just were no available cheap hotel accomodations or furnished apartments. So we were living in a very expensive hotel, right on Waikiki Beach and eating three meals a day at that hotel because there were no public restaurants nearby. Jack usually had his lunch at the Officers Club at Pearl Harbor. We were staying at the Hotel on the American Plan, and John and I found it very difficult to consume the hearty, big meals -p. 264- served to us three times a day. We tried to take walks or sit on the beach, but it was just too hot, and we spent endless hours just sitting in the hotel lobby watching the guests come and go. In the evning young John was completely bored with the hula dancers and the musicians and wanted his father to go and make up stories, which they invented together.= When we went to call on Admiral Bloch, who was Commandant of the [Fourteenth Naval] District, John had to sit in the car at Pearl Harbor, as we couldn't possibly leave him alone in the Hotel. We did manage to take the drive "around the Island" on a Saturday afternoon, and all three of us enjoyed that. = When Jack said our quarters were ready for occupancy, I was delighted, - thinking to escape some of the expense and monotony of a hotel's room and board and thinking that John might have a more normal existence.But I was stunned when I saw our quarters at Pearl Harbor, because they were enormous,- a very large house, with many large rooms,- the living room and dining room could serve as dance floors! Live-in maids or even day workers were impossible to get in Hawaii, because they all were getting good pay as clerical or industrial workers at Pearl Harbor, and the shops and stores were employing anyone they could get because of the large numbers of service personnel shopping in Honolulu. I realized that my furniture would be inadequate,- that it would cost me a fortune for curtains and draperies for the house, and I owned no dining room furniture and only -p. 265- one bedroom set, although I did have two beds.There were four large bedrooms. So reluctantly I told Jack I didn't want the quarters, that John would be lost in that big house, - which meant I'd have to spend all my time trying to furnish it, keep it clean, and cook in that big kitchen, to say nothing of the laundry involved in the upkeep. We just couldn't afford to furnish it for the two years we would be there if they didn't push us out for someone senior, AND TOO, THE HOUSES WERE NEAR THE [MAKALAPA] OIL STORAGE TANKS, WHICH I FOUND MOST DEPRESSING. {Jack was concerned they might be prime Japanese targets in an air attack, and analysts since the attack have agreed the Japanese missed a very importnat opportunity here to delay American recovery]. I spent several hours in the vicinity of the house, saw no young children and absolutely no provision for children such as swings, seesaws, jungle gyms or sand boxes--John would just be cooped up in the quarters while I tried to keep house. The quarters would cost one hundred twenty-five dollars per month, and I thought I might be able to do better elsewhere. So we gave them up, and they were immediately taken by a doctor with a large family. = Our furniture had not arrived, so there was no sense in looking for a unfurnished apartment. Gertrude Rice lived in a furnished apartment on Lewers Road near Fort DeRussy in Waikiki and took me to a rental agent in the Moana Hotel. He rented me the house at 2415 Ala Wai Boulevard, occupied by a navy wife Mrs. Bailey and her yong son. She was leaving immediately, and we moved in July 28, 1941. The house was within easy walking distance of Waikiki Beach -p.266- , and Jack, John, and I swam about 5:30 to 6:00 every evening, and on Sunday morning before breakfast. Captain and Mrs. Rice joined us often for a swim and dinner at our home. In September our furniture arrived, but as we could find no unfurnished house or apartment, the Navy kept our furniture temporarily. = On Saturday, December 6, l941 we spent the afternoon in downtown Honolulu, where we bought kitchen pots and strainers and a few Christmas decorations, and because the furnished house lacked much that we needed, we bought crockery, cereal bowls, and a few plates and cups, saucers, and glasses.Then we went to the Liberty House, where we bought some books for John- Dr. Doolittle books and Mary Poppins and a few of the Peter Rabbit series. All of John's books and most of his toys were with our household goods somewhere in Navy storage. Fortunately I had his small toy animals because I had put them in my trunk before we left New York. The apartments and houses on the Ala Wai were small, expensive, - occupied almost exclusively by adults- there were no children for John to play with the first year except a fourteen-year-old girl Alfreida Watson who lived in the high apartments behind us which faced toward Tuisitala Street. [Presently a fence was erected between the properties, and the Watsons moved away. Later Sophie was friendly with Mrs. Shapiro, the owner or manager, and they would talk through the fence. In back near the fence John recognized uncommon sweet potato weevils, a newly introduced insect pest, which resembled good drawings in 1941 National Geographic magazine. These apartments are visible in one photo on this website. Behind them was the famous old Tuisitala banyan, with the big stone seat where in 1890 Robert Louis Stevenson "the teller of tales" read to young Princess Kaiulani near her Cleghorn Street home.] John occupied himself planting flowers in front of the house, reading his books, enjoying his toy animals, and swimming with us at Waikiki Beach. = In conversation with Captain Rice and others, Jack was very critical of the way ships were arranged in pairs at Pearl Harbor and Ford Island [the aviation center]. He thought they should be more dispersed and not have such a regular schedule of being in port every weekend. He remarked repeatedly that he "could hit two ships with one bomb." Beginning in october, he was iin charge of the Overseas Transportation Office in the Administration Building. = On Sunday morning Dec. 7, 1941 I as usual got up early to get ready for our swim before breakfast. For Waikiki, it was unusually dark and chilly that early morning, and Jack and John showed no inclination to walk eight blocks to the beach that early, so I prepared breakfast, which we finished at about 7:30. Then John was in his room, Jack was in the bathroom, and I was clearing the table when Mr. [James] Needles who lived next door [on the east at #2421 Ala Wai] appeared at the window in John's room, rapped on the glass, and when I inquired what he wanted, he replied, "The Japanese are bombing Pearl Harbor, and all military personnel are directed to go to their stations." We had no radio in the furnished house, so I had no means of checking his information. I called the news to Jack through the bathroom door. Jack thought it was a drill, but he dressed quickly, - told John to get into the car for the ride, and started off. In a few minutes he returned- John had the Sunday paper-Jack told me he saw and heard the bombs, and he hurried off. John stayed in his room- he was five years and eight months old - -p. 268- and occupied himself calmly with the Sunday papers. Waikiki is twelve miles east of Pearl Harbor. Stunned I washed the dishes, swept the floor, thinking the house might be bombed any minute, but I had to keep busy. Then, with John in his own room, I stepped out onto the front lawn, and Gertrude Rice appeared in a car with an oriental driver. She was surprised to see me just standing there and said, " Doesn't Jack know that Pearl Harbor is being attacked?" I told her he was out there, and she tried to take John and me to her friend's home in the hills, but I decided to stay put. Her apartment was near the Army's Fort DeRussy- so she was in a dangerous spot, but I couldn't see how a home in the hills would be safer than my house, - and I didn't want to impose on her friends with a five-year-old child. I also figured that Jack wouldn't know what happened to us if he tried to phone. = As Gertrude left, a jeep drew up and the soldier told me to boil all drinking water, to avoid using the telephone, to observe a complete blackout from dusk to dawn and a ten-o-clock curfew (which for a time became a 6 pm curfew).He advised me to notify service people in the adjacent apartments to return to their posts and told me to stay indoors. So I went indoors and began cooking the roast beef I had [for our usual Sunday dinner] although I was scared and believed we probably would be bombed before the meat was done.Without a radio and without the use of the telephone, we didn't know what to expect. We were to use the telephone only for emergency. = We were accustomed to spending most of Sunday on the beach at Waikiki and walking along the Ala Wai Canal. I did the dishes and then just sat or walked impatiently in and out of the house.About five o'clock john and I had our supper. I had no idea whether the Japanese were still bombing or even whether they had landed on Oahu. I expected them to appear at the house at any minute. After months of hearing Jack tell how vulnerable our ships were on weekends, I feared the worst. The Army jeep soldier had warned everyone to stay indoors. = I was really surprised when Jack appeared at the door just before complete darkness. He had left in civilian clothes -- returned in white uniform with sword, gun, and ammunition belt. To avoid alarming John, we went into the kitchen together, where - shaken - Jack told me the Japanese were gone after doing great damage to our battleships. "They did a sweet job," he said. He whispered the names of the ships sunk,those damaged, and the estimated dead and wounded. He warned me to say nothing as we didn't want the Japanese to know how successful they were. [During 1942 the Japanese had great confusion as to how many American carriers were operational in the Pacific.] Then in the dark -p.270- I fixed cold roast beef, bread and coffee for Jack,and we tried to do those dishes in the dark kitchen. Jack wanted to stretch out in our bedroom to tell stories to amuse John, but the neighbors came in the pitch darkness to try to find out what the situation was and to try to get some comfort from association with others. Poor Jack tried to be patient with them, and after they left at the curfew, we pushed our two cots together in the darkness of our bedroom and transferred John there from his front bedroom. John and Jack talked until midnight. I did not take my clothes off - not even my shoes. It was a windy night, and as the windows rattled I imagined I heard all sorts of things. A trip in the dark to the bathroom was dangerous, so I didn't even brush my teeth. When the telephone rang about midnight,, I groped my way to the telephone in the living room. It was Captain Rice looking for Gertrude. I couldn't tell him just where she was in the hills, but he seemed to know what home she went to if she wasn't with me. = Early the next morning Jack left - to be gone several days and nights, as he would have the duty nights. Paul and Gertrude appeared- Paul gray with fatigue. He too would have night duty, and we arranged to have Gertrude sleep in John's cot [in front bedroom].