Red Headed Stepchild
(The Barrett family memoir of Navy Life)
by Sophie Ruth Meranski with photos


CRAIG JENSEN married June 29,1999 at Timpanogos Utah recently on mission in Port Angeles Washington.


p 81 #1299


P 81 #1300 tWO 1945 Postcards from landlord Walter Glockner to Sophie Barrett at 2415 Ala Wai Boulevard Waikiki from Stevens Point Wisconsin.


Walter Glockner owned the house the Barretts rented at 2415 Ala Wai Boulevard from July 28, 1941 to June 4, 1947.He was a naturalized American citizen born in Germany about 1907, who was taken into federal custody December 8, 1941, the Monday morning after the Pearl Harbor attack.As Sophie Barrett memoirs relate,he was held six months or more at Sand Island immigration station in Honolulu, and civilian courts of Territory of Hawaii fined miliary governor Richardson five thousand dollars for contempt of habeas corpus order,but he was pardoned by President Roosevelt,and the fine was never paid.Mr. Glockner was living in a small second floor apartment above the Barretts when they arrived in 1941. His large German shepherd dog was running loose when he was taken away, and Sophie had to telephone the police several times before an animal control officer finally came to take the animal away.Mr. Glockner in mid-1942 agreed to go to Stevens Point Wisconsin for the duration of the war and worked there as a brewer. These postcards pinpoint the date of his return in late 1945. Subject to wartime rent control, Sophie paid seventy-five to ninety-five dollars monthly rent to Hawaiian Trust Company as trustee. Mr. Glockner wrote four other letters that disappear in 1993 thefts and appreciated Sophie's steady regular rent payment and occasional help with mail, mothballs in his clothes, and other minor mattersrelating to the property.He was unable to return to his apartment as planned, because a Samoan tenant with two very young children successfully resisted eviction in Honolulu housing court.He offered to donate blood when Sophie had surgery in May 1947. He loved the Islands and used to swim and remained in the Islands through 1970 or later. Prange "At Dawn We Slept" tells that a German spy named Kuehn was active in the Islands. As far as we know Mr. Glcokner appeared to be a patriotic and loyal American citizen.Whether the government had any valid grounds forsuspicion we do not know. The Supreme Court in the 1946 Korematsu decision later held that military authorities had acted unconstitutionally in restricting civil liberties and disregarding habeas corpus. Intra arma leges silent.


TRINITY Todd, Rickover, Holmes, Coronado 81-1301 #%*$


TRINITY Todd, Rickover, Holmes, Coronado 81-1301 Year: 1939 35T tanker T-R-I-N-I-T-Y,Fred Holmes,Rickover, nipa shack 1096 p 56 35T TRINITY text 1939 35T tanker T-R-I-N-I-T-Y,Fred Holmes,Rickover, nipa shack 1096 p 56 35T TRINITY [beginning of Chapter] In the Spring of l938 Jack was named Executive Officer of the tanker TRINITY, which was being recommissioned at Philadelphia Navy Yard. Jack received a letter of commendation from Commandant Fourth Naval District for "high spirit of cooperation which has greatly facilitated and expedited the execution of the work by the Yard. The work done by the ship's force materially reduced the cost of reconditioning and has been expeditiously and efficiently performed." (Fitness report USS TRINITY June 21, l938 to September 30, l938) (p. 515 letters and papers). While Jack was working on recommissioning the tanker, he received a friendly letter from a 1912 Revenue Cutter School classmate David Marvin, who was retired in Southern California after many years of coast Guard service: [SMB Notebook 5- pp. 160-1] "To Lt. Cdr. J.B. Barrett USN, Fourth Naval district, Navy Yard, Philadelphia, PA.3354 Dumas St. San Diego CA 14 April 1938 Dear Jack, That duty on the new TRINITY will be very fine- except that tankers do not in the merchant service at least stay in port much of any. But it is just possible that this one will stay in port at San Diego. In some ways that duty will be very interesting, though you will have a tough time not lighting that pipe whenever you want, Jack. = Some years ago I was approached by a Britisher, Mr. Holtzapfel, with the suggestion that we go to work to establish a kind of nitrocellulose paint for the insides of oil tanks. It seems that at present there is no method for the preservation of steel of such tanks, so that bulk tank vessels just naturally rust through in about fifteen or twenty years. Holtzapfel had a paint something chemically like Duco, that was totally insoluble in fuel or crude oils or gasoline. He had owned the International Paint Company and was thoroughly used to selling all kinds of paints. I held back, and have never heard any more of the stuff, except that Holtzapfel had died. Privately, I do not think that any paint known to man will stand the acid, sand, and mechanical action of oil in the tanks of a ship. Perhaps the solution will be found in stainless steels of some kind. = How fast is the TRINITY? The Japs have eighteen knot ships on this coast, running from [San] Pedro [p. 5--161] to Japan, they are H.I.J.M.N vessels [??His Imperial Japanese Majesty's Navy?] , and I see their crews on liberty at times. = We are all getting along pretty well; just now the excitement is that our cat has five black kittens. Does your boy want one? They were born yesterday. We would like to have you establish your family in Loma Portal, the best and handiest of the residence stations- though there are no apartments here. Have you your own furniture? = You are indeed to be congratulated about not being retired; these are hard days for the ex-temporary officers, in both the Navy and the Coast Guard. Probably,- with the possibility of a large increase in personnel, there will be little danger of early retirement. = Please let me know if there if any re-connoitering I can do for you. - Very sincerely yours, Dave Marvin {Revenue Cutter School 1912 classmate] P.S. Clement J. Todd, -resigned {USCG] about ten years ago, lives in Corona California about eighty miles north of here. He has a very large house and four or five children - one a year old." [end Dave MARVIN letter] [Note by Sophie Barrett-:] Jack, John and I visited Marvin's home very late in 1938 - November or December. WE met his wife and saw his workshop in the garage but did not settle in Loma Point as it was too isolated for us- no apartments, and Jack was away almost all the time. Our furniture was in storage in San Diego, but we stayed at the Betsy Ross apartments in Coronado. I do not remember seeing any of the children at the Marvins', but he had a daughter. = Clement Todd came to Los Angeles to see us off when we left on the LURLINE for Hawaii in July 1941. Shortly before the TRINITY was ready to go to sea, her home port was changed to San Diego, and Jack began planning to move me and John. Jack wrote to our friends Clarence and Mary Boyd in Coronado, who offered to house John and me until we found other living arrangements.He also asked Sue and Frank Delahanty to meet our train in Los Angeles,where we were scheduled to change for a noon train to San Diego.Sue wrote that Frank would not be available, but she and a woman friend would take care of John and me as we changed trains.Very late in August the packer arrived, and Jack's father "Pa" Barrett came over from New York, where he was visiting his other son, Bill. As the packers pushed a big bookcase away from the dining room wall, Pa Barrett found Jack's Revenue Cutter School Cadet ring,which had been missing for a long time.Both Pa Barrett and Jack were delighted to recover the ring. After lunch Pa Barrett returned to New York city.Our faithful Irish maid Nellie Kelly got into the taxi with us along with the radio we gave her and her bag. She went on to her new job with a Marine family at the Philadelphia Navy Yard after Jack, John and I went into the railroad station to board the train for Chicago.In Chicago Jack took us to the zoo, then put us on a special fare train for Los Angeles as he bought space after carefully investigating the milk and food situation for a boy two years and four months of age.Then to John's distress, Jack left us for his trip back to Philadelphia where he took leave to drive to New York city, visit with his brother and father and then drive his father home to Boston, before he returned to live aboard the TRINITY, scheduled to sail shortly with his friend"Freddie " Holmes then commander USN as Captain. I took John to the dining car which was far from our car, but I could find very little on the menu he could eat,and the train had no milk. It was an extra fare very fast train that catered to business men- not families and certainly not to a young child.John became sick for the rest of the journey. Sue Delahanty held John's hand in the railroad station in Los Angeles while I sat on a stool in the station lunch room to try to get a little food before Sue put us on the train for San Diego.The Boyds met us in San Diego for the ferry trip to Coronado. Mary Boyd immediately called a doctor for John. With good milk and food fit for a child John soon recovered but sadly missed Jack, who always made up wonderful bedtime stories in Philadelphia.The Boyds had a daughter Peggy about four years old and were most hospitable. They also had a lovely wire=haired terrier " Mischief."With Clarence Boyd's help we found an expensive but nice furnished apartment at the Betsy Ross- not an easy accomplishment as much of the Fleet was then concentrated in San Diego,and landlords charged Navy families all that the traffic would bear. When my furniture arrived, I had it put in storage until Jack could find a suitable apartment or house for us. As it turned out the furniture remained in storage as we were very comfortable in the Betsy Ross, and Jack was ordered to shore duty in New York City less than ten mmonths after we arrived in Coronado. There were many hummingbirds around the Betsy Ross apartments. INSERT from NOTEBOOK FOUR: train for San Diego where we were met by Lieutenant and Mrs. Clarence E. and Mary Boyd who took us to their home on D Avenue in Coronado. Mary Boyd's sister Margery Mrs. James Haley lived right across the street. We enjoyed the swimming pool on North Island where we spent Labor Day. We soon found a furnished apartment at the Betsy Ross at 756 D Avenue and spent a great deal of time in a small park right on D Avenue.within easy walking distance of the Betsy Ross. Soon after our arrival Jack's brother William Joseph Barrett- who had flown to the West Coast on business for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company of New York, came to see us late on Saturday night and stayed till Sunday noon. He swam in the pool with us and the Boyds on Sunday morning.He told me he expected to be married in October to Miss Virginia Brady of the Bronx. They went to Europe for their honeymoon, sent French books to John and a mechanical rocking horse for Christmas. Jack was out in the Pacific and Orient most of the time on the tanker TRINITY. Our next door neighbor supplied a small Christmas tree and the decorations. Mrs. Wardrop, mother of the wife of Captain Frederick Holmes, was most generous in giving toys to John. When the TRINITY was in port, Jack drove us around Coronado and east along the Mexican border, where we had to stop and wait for herds of cattle on the road.-- The story of the TRINITY while Jack was aboard can best be seen through the letters to us written by the ship's Navigator, Haskell C. Todd, who was a Navy Captain living in Belfast,Maine, when he wrote three letters to us:""3 December l969 Dear Mr. Barrett, Your letter regarding your father and the days of the TRINITY was received Saturday.I have very little data on the TRINITY except my memory and a chart on which I laid out all the trips the TRINITY made, ports visited, etc. I will dig that out in the next few days and with that data as a base I will try to give you a resume of the first two voyages to the Orient and also our trip from Philadelphia to San Diego after commissioning." (These are the periods Jack was aboard)....The USS TRINITY was a World War I tanker & in l938 was hauled out of the back channel in Philadelphia Navy Yard & reconditioned for service & put in full commission September l938 at Phiadelphia, Pennsylvania.She was 489 feet long,60foot beam,single screw,speed ten knots, draft,loaded approximately 25 feet,capacity 55,000 barrels plus the wing tanks above the bulk tanks for carying case oil -25-gallon tins in a wooden box.Her forward bulk tank was fitted with, a water replacement balanced system for carrying aviation gasoline.The cargo tanks ere fitted with a CO2 carbon dioxide gas smothering system for safety.At commissioning the following officers were aboard.Commanding officer:Comander Frederick Holmes Executive Officer Lt. Commander J.B. Barrett Engineer officer Lt.Blaisiar.First Lietenant Lt.Eisenhart Navigation Officer Lieutenant Haskell C. Todd Supply Officer Lt.Hathaway Medical Officer Lt. Robert Cooper & boatswain & pay clerk plus three or four ensigns as watch standees.Samuel Crofut Keeler CWOI John Pugliese CWOI chief warrant officers/1. When the USS TRINITY sailed from Philadelphia Navy Yard in September l938 we may have stopped at Norfork Virginia for a day or two to pick up stores & equipment.-then,Houston Texas,where we loaded fuel oil for delivery at the Panama Canal-then we proceeded up the West Coast to San Diego,California,where we arrived the latter part of October,l938.We did not go into Galveston or Guantanamo as I remember.One of the highlights of loading at Houston was the blowing up of a ten inch oil hose on deck when somebody closed a tank valve too soon-spewing oil fifty feet in the air & all over the main deck of the ship. First trip:We left San Diego about the second week of November l938 for San Pedro California,where we took on a full load of fuel oil.(Note by Sophie M. Barrett Jack's close friend Commander Frank Delahanty of the Supply Corps wanted Jack to go to his home in San Pedro's outskirts to he his wife Sue & have dinner with them,but Jack would not leave the ship while it as taking on fuel oil-it was supplied by the USS Pecos for Guam,Manila & Cavite storage tanks for Asiatic Fleet)..We departed San Pedro l8 November l938,discharged some fuel at Guam,& the remainder at Manila,P.I. Late in December l938 we proceeded to Tandjong Oeban "West Point" in the Rian archipelago about thirty miles south of Singapore.-picked up a load of fuel oil & returned to Manila for discharge.We departed Manila early in February l939 for the return trip to San Diego via the Hawaiian Islands,passing south (north?) of Oahu through the Kauai channel-but did not go into port.We arrived San Diego,California 28 February l939.Second trip:Departed San Diego 5 April l939-took northern route discharging twenty thousand barrels fuel oil in storage tank Dutch Harbor, Aleutian Islands, Alaska about April 20th,l939-proceeded to Manila, discharged remaining cargo-then to Tandjong Oeban= returned to Manila-discharged cargo-& proceeded to Yokohama(Tokyo) for liberty & recreation=remained four days in Yokohama & then returned to San Diego via northern route (great circle) arriving 28 June,l939.On this trip en route to Tandjong Oeban we went East of the Rian archipelago on a southerly course until we had crossed the Equator-& then turned & proceeded northwesterly throught the Rian Straits to Tandjong Oeban.This was at Captain Holmes's behest,as he had never before crossed the equator.It was also on this trip that Captain Holmes bought a 'nipa shack"-native Philippine house made of bamboo & palm leaves for $700.It was made up in sections,so that it could be dismantled & stowed in our dry cargo hold for transportation to the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania (Freddy's home was in Eagle's Mere).However,he discovered before leaving Manila that the shack would have to be fumigated before landing in the United States.That is when he 'discovered' the ship was badly rat-infested (?!) & had to be fumigated immediately before leaving Manila.He directed your father to go ashore & make necessary arrangements for the fumigating,& that is when your father met (a young Engineer Lieutenant now General Hyman) Rickover & had quite a job to convince him a tanker was rat-infested.If there is any type of ship that is comparatively rat-free it is a tanker.Anyway we were fumigated (R.H.I.P.-Rank Has Its Privileges) & hauled the nipa shack to San Diego- it was later put aboard the USS VEGA for transportation to Norfolk,Virginia,where it was unloaded, condemned,& burned by the Department of Agriculture.(( NOTE))Freddy intended the shack as a gift for his wife,who was our neighbor in California along with her mother Mrs. Wardrup. Freddy used to say,"You can fall in love with a rich girl as well as a poor one." One of his many sea stories concerned a time when the young watch officer asked him,"Captain, what's that green thing down there in front of us?" -"That's a rock,son," Freddy replied, & they immediately reversed their engines & course just in time.Tankers were hazardous in those days,& there was a "no smoking" policy on board,but Captain Holmes sometimes pulled out his cigar on the bridge, until Jack Barrett persudaded him the oil didn't know his cigar from anyone else's.Despite many amusing eccentricities & a sick spell one time near Dutch Harbor Alaska, Captain Holmes was a very capable & popular officer, who believed loyalty ran both ways & supported & encouraged subordinates, including Jack Barrett,his executive officer.Captain Holmes was grateful for Jack's good work while in active command during his illness, & gave him one of the best fitness reports of his career,leading to his promotion in June l940 to full Commander. At the time Jack thought it would be an 'Irish promotion', as he was scheduled for retirement, but all retirements were canceled because of the War emergency. We located Captain & Mrs. Holmes in retirement in l969-70 in Newport Rhode Island. They took great pride in their son's outstanding record at West Point Miliary Academy & distinguished Army career) Continuing Captain Todd's letter:"Your information about Captain Holmes is correct.His wife was an heir of the Columbia Record Company.I know that Captain Holmes once told me that he had never contributed one cent of his income toward the support of his family.The call at Yokohama-Tokyo was for liberty & recreation. (note by Sophie M. Barrett-While Jack was in Tokyo he bought cultivated pearl earrings for SMB-also a white gold pin with a cultured pearl& two lovely Japanese silk flowered kimonos-one for SMB & one for John junior.) Letter"We tied up at a pier in Yokohama & worked through the Consul General's office there for communications.The crew spent most of (p.284) the time in Yokohama & chartered a small hotel there.The officers went to Tokyo by train (about twenty-five minutes) or by car & were entertained or steered around by Embassey personnel.We were always trailed by Japanese intelligence officers from the time we left the ship until we returned,but it wasn't an unmixed blessing- one of their approaches was to ask us if they could guide us around without any fee other than speaking English-so in many cases we took them right along with us,made it easy for everybody,-& I think we saw a lot of places that the average tourist didn't get to -such as real sukiyaki dinner served where we werethe only foreigners present. I remained on the USS TRINITY until December, l940 making four more trips,stopping at Guam,Manila,Tandjong Oeban each trip & into Singapore one trip for liberty & recreation-&one trip up the China coast to Tsingtao, Shantung peninsula to fuel the fleet in September, l939. Rode out a one-hundred-mile-an-hour typhoon while at anchor there- we dragged anchor about four hundred yards- but three ships & one Navy minesweeper went aground. The center passed over us,& it was dead calm for almost twenty minutes,-then the hundred-mile windhit again in the opposite direction.A large German freighter got under way & stood out during the calm,& we wondered why,until the next day the news of the declaration of war came out.Evidently the German shipper got news ahead of time,& as there was an English cruiser present,he took no chance of being captured.-..any further questions,ask-Haskell C. Todd." On 13 January 1970 Captain Todd wrote, "Dear Mr. Barrett: In regard to the duties of the USS TRINITY she was under the direction of the Naval Transportation Service. There was an NTS Director in each Naval District Headquarters and they handled the routing, cargoes and passengers of Naval transports, cargo, and bulk tankers, such as the USS HENDERSON, VEGA, and TRINITY.We were not a fleet tanker- fueling combat ships in port or at sea- such as the KANAWHA in the Pacific Fleet and the PECOS with the Asiatic Fleet based at Manila.We delivered our cargo into shore tanks at so-called Naval Fueling Stations.On arriving at Manila after discharging a comparatively small amount at Guam,we would go to Pier I, discharge about twenty thousand barrels,in Navy shore tanks there and then proceed across Manila Bay to the Naval Fuel Depot and Sangley Point, Cavite, adjacent to the Cavite Navy Yard and discharge the rest of the cargo.The reason for this was that the channel to Sangley Point was only twenty-five feet depth, and we had to get up to about twenty feet draft to get in there. On return from Tandjong Oeban to Manila we would repeat the same routine so that actually we put in two full loads one hundred ten thousand barrels of oil in Manila on each trip. As to handling of the USS TRINITY she was a comparatively low-powered single screw vessel with very little backing power. When fully loaded her cargo of oil weighed in the vicinity of ten thousand tons plus the ship itself, and even moving at ten knots she would carry her way for a long distance even with the engine in reverse. I remember one trip we tried out her turning circle- way carried with engine stopped and way carried with engine reversed -286- and as I remember making a speed of ten knots and stopping the engine she traveled over a mile and a quarter before becoming dead in the water. With engines reversed when going ahead at ten knots it was about eight hundred yards before she lost headway. I hope the information I have given you will be of some help and wish you the best of luck in putting together an account of your father's Naval career." In June of l971 John went to Captain Todd's home in Belfast, Maine, where he enjoyed a delightful visit with captain and Mrs. Todd.Mrs. Todd's father Herbert Robinson was in the Lighthouse Service for over thirty years in Maine, and she recalls many instances of the tender ZIZANIA on which Jack served in the Lighthouse Service in 1912 bringing coal, oil, and hay to her father's station when she was a little girl prior to World War I.Captain Sterling of Peakes Island, Portland Maine was Captain of the ZIZANIA in the early l900's - then Herman Ingalls when Jack was on the crew l9l2. In April 1971 William J. Pugliese of California who was a petty officer on the TRINITY wrote:" Dear Mrs. Barrett, The USS TRINITY was put in commission in Philadelphia on June 30, l938. Fred Holmes was her Captain. I was chief machinist mate, helped put her in commission. I left the ship at Fremantle,Western Austalia on March 1, l943. After the ship was commissioned, we went to Houston, Texas, from there to Guantanamo Bay Cuba then on to the West Coast to San Diego. I remember the run we made to Dutch Harbor to bring supplies to the radio station there. We r--oadg to Manila, Cavite and did go to Tandjong Oeban, Netherlands East Indies. and to S---b for more oil. Incidentally the captain,and your husband could have smoked in certain sections of the ship when "the smoking lamp is lit" was announced. The USS TRINITY was the last US naval vessel to visit Japan before December 7, l941, We were in Yokohama, Japan two weeks previous to that date. During the War years the USS TRINITY ran all over the South Pacific delivering oil and loading oil. Our longest run was to Bahrein,Arabia, to Albany and Fremantle Western Australia for delivery to British warships." At Christmas time in Coronado l938 I sent a Christmas card to our President PIERCE friends Mr. amd Mrs. Harry Pardee of Saticoy, Ventura county California telling them we were in Coronado. in Coronado. Immediately they sent us an invitation to visit, as we had been close friends on the President PIERCE from Kobe, Japan to Naples, Italy,and had seen them again in Rome and in Venice. But at first I refused to impose upon them with a three year old boy. They persisted, and when Jack was ordered to New York City in the summer of l939, we gave up the apartment at the Betsy Ross and went to their lemon ranch at Saticoy, which is not far from Los Angeles - about ninety miles northwest. I was amazed to see the really modern, expensive. beautifully furnished 287 ranch house in the extensive lemon,orange and walnut ranch even though I surmised the Pardees were wealthy as they had taken the luxury Cook's tour of the world in 1932 in the effort to overcome Mr. Pardee's circulatory difficulties.The first evening we were there they cook luscious steaks outdoors on the large patio porch and served vegetables picked fresh from the garden. But as I recall that was the only meal we had there except breakfast, for the rest of our considerable visit. They drove us out to restaurants and hotels in all the small well-known towns surrounding Saticoy where everyone seemed to know Lizzie and Harry Pardee.Mr. Pardee took Jack to see the lemon processing plant while I stayed home with John.He got pretty dirty on the dusty ground of the ranch, and I tried to keep him clean by doing his washing in the bowl in my private bathroom. This took a lot of water,and of course I tried to do some of my own washing and Jack's too, as we were going to duty in New York City, where we then had no home and might have to stay in a hotel where personal laundry would be a probelm. But Mrs. Pardee asked me to do no washing and bathe John as infrequently as possible because water on the ranch was in very short supply, and their tank water at that moment was dangerously low.So amidst all the luxury of meals and surroundings, I had the awful problem of the accumulation of soiled clothes, as I could not take John to lunch and dinner in swank restaurants in other than immaculate clothes.It was very difficult for me, and I now understood why we ate out so often- it saved water for cooking and washing dishes and for table linen and napkins. I never saw Mrs. Pardee do any laundry and never saw clothes on the line. Perhaps it was done at the home of their tenant farmer since his wife did the cleaning at the ranch. Maybe she knew how to get clothes clean by using soaps and bleaches but very little water.I must admit I did not envy the Pardees their lovely house as I would not want to live where I couldn't wash and bathe as frequently as I wanted to. When we finally left I had quite a bundle of soiled clothes and very few fresh ones.Since we had cross-country reservations from Los Angeles, we had to remain on the ranch until our planned day of departure. As Jack shipped his car ahead, the Pardees drove us approximately ninety miles to Los Angeles to make our train to Boston, Masachusetts at one o'clock. About noon they left us at the railroad station to avoid hunting for a parking place, and we went to the station restaurant, where the service was maddeningly slow.In spite of leaving our dessert untouched, Jack, John, and I had to run full speed behind the red cap and got aboard the last car just as the train started to move. The red cap dropped the baggage, jumped off the train in motion. Later in New York we contacted that red cap and sent his tip by mail.The poor red cap had to jump off the moving train without waiting for the tip Jack was trying to get out of his pocket. I waw very worried lest we miss that train and have to stay at a hotel until we could get new reservations as we had found the Betsy Ross in Coronado very expensive, had always had a full time maid there and also had to pay to store our furniture.But we made our way to our compartment while the train was under way. Eventually I found the name and address of the Red Cap through the Station Master at Los Angeles and sent a thank=you note as well as a generous tip. I sent Mrs. Pardee a piece of gold and red silk chinese embroidery and a most sincere thank-you letter. In July l941 Mr and Mrs. Pardee came to Los Angeles to see us off for Honolulu when we boarded the Matson line LURLINE .We had a three week visit in South Boston with Jack's eighty-four year old father and his sister Mollie in very hot August weather. Finally Jack rented an apartment at 9615 Shore Road in Brooklyn apartment 2A on second floor &68 After being settled in Brooklyn I wrote a letter to the Head Red Cap,LosAngeles Railroad Station telling him the exact time & date when our train left Los Angeles & explaining why we failed to tip a most helpful red cap,who had to jump off a moving train.I asked him to try to locate the red cap so that I could pay him. Very soon after we received a letter telling us the name & address of the red cap.I sent him a letter of appreciation & apology & sent him a check for five dollars.We received a thank-you note from him.The stores in Brooklyn on Third, Fourth & Fifth Streets were about five blocks walk up 97th Street from Shore Road.This was also the route to the subway Jack rode to work at the Custom House tower.There was a good meat market on Third Avenue where we bought rib roasts & chopped sirloin.We soon made the acquaintance of the George Rooney family on the first floor & became very good friends.For recreation we would walk to Fort Hamilton, drive to Prospect Park or Owls Head park to see the squirrels.Later on we made more ambitious trips to Jones Beach, Coney Island,& the l939-40 World's Fair at Flushing.Not long after Billy Barrett was born, Bill & Virginia had trouble getting help,and we were glad to get Miss Caffey's name from Jack as a nurse for Billy.She was working for them in Darien Connecticut when we visited them at suppertime one day in October l939.Since Virginia expected us early in the afternoon & didn't expect us to have dinner there, I am afraid we ate Miss Caffey's hamburger- but she was mostgracious & happy to see John again.If she happens to read this, I hope she'll send her address.In l940 Bill called up to give me my first news of Jack's promotion to Commander.He also had been the first one to read the news when Jack made Lieutenant Commander early in l932.At Thanksgiving we drove to Overbrook Pennsylvania near Philadelphia to see my sister Bee. Sam Pollack worked for LeRoux liquers making cordials, & their two children Jason & Thalia were somewhat older than John.Jen & Pete Meranski drove up from Baltimore for a fine Thanksgiving dinner.John was quite interested in the snow in the back courtyard at 96l5 Shore Road after the mild winter the year before in the San Diego area.The paved courtyard used to have curious little whirlwinds produced by the shape of the building- his father would point them out& talk about low pressure systems.Jack explained the terms "transparent, translucent, opaque" as we has a translucent frosted bathroom window. There was a small patch of poison ivy on our back fence downstairs, & Jack would tell how his father once in autumn met some tourists who ignored his advice & collected bright-red bunches of three-leaved poison ivy, with a little stem on the middle leaf.Jack grew & photographed many amaryllis, ranunculus, anemones,tuberous begonias & other potted plants. He never had any luck with freesias.Both Christmases at Brooklyn l939-40 we devoted considerable energy to decorating small Christmas trees.One year there was a considerable problem with a leak in a tub of water that was used toprevent the tree fromdrying out. We have photos from both Christmases, & JoanRooney age five from downstairs appears in the l940 Christmas photos.We still have l970 much of the Chinese furniture which appears in pictures in the Brooklyn apartment.Jack fashioned clothesline swings on the roof for John. In February l940 there was a spectacular display of the five planets Mercury,Venus,Mars,Jupiter & Saturn all visible shortly after sunset in the western sky over the Narrows, where there was a big red illuminated Wrigley's chewing gum advertising neon sign.We used to say we hoped Venus would't get stuck in the chewing gum.Sometimes whenJack was tired he would say he "wouldn't go across the street to see the Statue of Liberty do a dance."We began to accumulate the Beatrix Potter series of illustatrated books Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny,the Flopsy Bunnies, Mrs. Tittlemouse, the Tailor of Gloucester,Timmy Tiptoes, Squirrel Nutkin, Pigling Bland, Tom Kitten, the Roly-Poly Pudding, Jeremy Fisher, the Two Bad Mice, Johnny Townmouse, and the rest.Jack began to invent his own sequels to these stories.A little child's story


Rebecca Geetter letters 1970 tracing Minnie Deutch,Arthur Meranski


letters Rebekah Geetter letter from #31 Letter from Rebekah Geetter August 25,l970-92 Fern Street,Hartford Connecticut Dearest Sophie & John, 8:30 in the morning We all went off on our yearly summer vacation for a week up in the Belgrade Lakes region of Maine fishing, swimming & spending a good deal of time in the rowboat on the lake.Now it's "back to the salt mines' again,but the change of pace was just great.On contacting the Bureau ofVital Statistics here I learned that Mother & Dad were married onAugust 8, l890 here in Hartford by a Rabbi M.Elkins. Mother was 20 years old, & Dad was 24..The original spelling of the name at the time the marriage license was issued was David Merenisky & Tally Goldfield.The spelling of the last name on the marriage certificate signed by the Rabbi is shown as Meirinski,which is slightly different from that of the marriage license.Dad was shown as having been born in Russia & Mother in Austria.We have no way of determining what Mother did before she was married since all her contemporaries have passed away.It is entirely possible that she helped some of the local tailors & in that way might have been introduced to Dad.There are no records of (her brother Jacob Goldfield but I think he was a few years younger than Mother & of course always lived at our house (25 Morgan Street, where Hartford directories indicated he remained with a group of tailors after David Meranski & family autumn l9l6 moved to 4 Wooster Street..He spent his late years as a resident of the local Hebrew Home for the Aged (then on Washington Street,,later Tower Avenue).In Maine Geetter,Sis (Esther) & I occupied acottage.David,Joan, Darya &Erica were nearby. Geetter's brother Nathan & his wife Lillian had a cottage,& Joan's mother (Mrs. Trouboff occupied a fourth cottage.Albert,Millie, Joshua, Adam & Thora will go toMartha's Vineyard the week after Labor Day.[Note by John Barrett There was a large exodus from Russia in l882, when David Meranski was seventeen years old.He may have left Brest (Litovsk) at this time -he spoke of Odessa, where he may have lived for a time or passed through in route to Turkey & Egypt. Pete Meranski's father-in-law came from Odessa probably l890's for foot surgery in Baltimore. His wife was born in Baltimore.They lived with Pete,Jen, Deborah, & Danny on Dolfield Avenue Baltimore,where I saw trhem Septemberl960.One of Jen's aunt lived there also. Brody was the site of an American mission to aid Jewish refugees from Russia in l882-it was in Austrian Galicia near the border.The Geetter family emigrated fromStryj, Lemberg province Galicia after their eldest son Isadore was born January l903. Letter from Rebekah Geetter "Thursday afternoonSeptember 3,l970 92 Fern Street,Hartford Connecticut 06l05"Dearest Sophie & John-I called the Hartford Public Library & learned that Pa was listed in the l890 directory as having a business address at 8 American Row in Hartford (listed as tailor) & living at 224 Front Street.There was no information as to who he boarded with at the Front Street address before he was married.There is no information at all about Mother, but it is very posssible she lived with the Meisselman family on Charles Street before she was married. Both Sis(Esther) & I recall that Mother came over on the ship with a Mrs. Meisselman,& it was under her wing that both she &"Yonkel"(her younger brother Jacob Goldfeld, who was resident of Hebrew Home in l930) made the voyage.The 1890 directory lists a Solomon Meisselman at 46 Charles Street,which as you might recall was in the same East Side neighborhood as Front Street.The whole East Side neighborhood has been demolished for redevelopment & is now called Constitution Plaza- a large complex of insurance buildings,banks,broadcasting station & elegant shops. GAP -Motherwith Mrs. Meisselman shoud answer your feeling of curiosity about her crossing the ocean at such a young age,especially with a handicapped brother.(Note by John Barrett l998: Fire destroyed immigration records for New York for this period-Ellis Island opened l892 Meiselmann descendants in Hartford l970's included bankruptcy judge Saul Seidman & Mrs. Silverberg -both family friends, who remembered? the Meisselmans were from Brody Galicia, as were other friends, the Witkowers, who came over in April l890 =the older Witkower boy was born in Brody, but his younger brother, who married Rose Rosenblatt and became a publisher at Witkower Press was born in Vienna -he published a book on nutritional value of cod liver oil- Mrs.Witkower sent us a copy in l974.)- continuing letter text:"Sis remembers visiting with Mrs. Meisselman on Warren Street when she was a young girl(before either you or I were born apparently). Warren Street is several streets away from the Wooster Street area,& is now part of a slum clearance project. As you can see, Hartford as you knew it is fast changing,&many of the streets are no longer in existence.Sade Meranski(Mrs. Harry Meranski) is at the Hebrew Home for the Aged. I talked with Minnie Deutsch a couple of days ago (Sade's older sister),& she said that she and"Sister"(Pearl Meranski, daughter of Harry & Sade) visit with Sade practically every day.Sister lives alone but as you know has worked many, many years in the printing (later photo laboratory) department of the Travelers Insurance Company. Minnie's address is 11 Miamis Road, West Hartford, Ct. I learned from her that the Rausch company where Arthur (Lieutentant Colonel Arthur Meranski retired from Army l967 after 28 years service mainly tanks -Normandy invasion l944 & Inchon landing Korea September l950) works is in Columbia,Maryland. That's all the address she had.Also Arthur's home is in Aberdeen, Maryland, & she thought mail would reach him there. Incidentally I do know that Harry's birthdate was May 20,l89l.Perhaps Minnie could tell you when he & Sade were married.I know that he was serving in the Army at the time during World War I.As for Pa's remarriage,I think it was either l926 or l927, since Mother died in September of l925.He married Mrs. Anna Adelman, a widow with two children whose names were Rachel -about 8-eight& Eva about eleven.(Two grown boys did not live with the family).Pa kept the store till about l930when he quitclaimed the house & store to the bank,since he was unable to keep up with the mortgage payments.His tenants were shiftless & unreliable,& it was torment for him to try to collect the rents.Anna was always out of the house tending to her business of credit buying (her customers would charge merchandise to her account & then she was always out collecting from them on the installments.He minally moved out & went to live with a friend of his,Mr. Fishman (8 Magnolia Street).We helped to pay for his board & room &what little he needed for clothing.He left everything in the house at #4 Wooster Street for Mrs. Adelman to do with as she wishes,& I guess she sold everything=even our cherished red plush album which had priceless pictures of Pa in his fez in Turkey.& other memorabilia of Pa & Ma.In June of l929 I moved out of #4 at the time of my marriage.After about l93l for two years before his death Pa lived with his friend Mr. Fishman & spent considerable time with Sam & Bee (Pollack) in Philadelphia.A trip to Baltimore to attend the birth of Pete & Jen's first son Arthur resulted in his catching(lobar) pneumonia,& he passed away at the New Britain General Hospital on March29, l933. (Ben & Abe's friend) Julius Aronson is doing very well,& I understand his (cataract) operations have been successful. I talk with him over the phone practically every week.I do know that he & Abe & Ben used to go to the Good Will Club Camp at LakeTerramugus in Marlboro, Connecticut & spent many happy summers there. You will recall that Mary Hall & her brother (I think his name was Bill) founded the Good Will Club for Boysin Hartford, & that many of our leading citizens in the community were at one time members in their youth.I must get off now & fix something for dinner this evening or I'll probably be ruled out of the party.Stay well-hugs & kisses from all. All our love.-Babe."(Abe Meranski stated his father David Meranski was born in Russia,March,l865-buried Zion Hill Cemetery.)


p 81 #1303 --1945 Walter Glockner postcards turned sideways to facilitate reading message, which establishes that his return to Waikiki from Wisconsin was in late 1945 (or later).Born in Germany,he was taken into military custody December 8, 1941 at 2415


Landlord Walter Glockner from December 1941 until the Barrett left Hawaii June 1947 consistently maintained that he was a loyal American citizen He was a friendly and responsible landlord.We were concerned and frightened by his internment.Recently in 1999 memoir editor John Barrett jr has run across information on spies in Honolulu in Gordon Prange's (posthumous 1981) text "At Dawn We Slept" pages 255-7: I would be interested if anyone can find more information as to why the FBI or other agencies might have suspected Glockner of contacts (possibly naive and accidental) with spies. Prange Goldstein & Dillon write: "The fact that the Japanese were spying on military and naval activities was no news to the Americans...It is another irony of the Pearl Harbor story that at the same time the Japanese intensified their activities on the intelligence front, Senator Guy M. Gillette of Iowa and Congressman Martin Dies of Texas planned to invesitgate Japanese subversion....Both had studied it carefully, were alarmed at what they found, and thought action should be taken without delay.By August Dies and his committee 'made arrangements for 52 witnesses to proceed to Washington for public hearings early oin September 1941.' " President Roosevelt advised the heqrings would be inadvisable, and Secretary of State Cordell Hull feared an investigation "would upset the diplomatic talks then under way between Tokyo and Washington." War and Navy Departments were trying to delay a confrontation till spring 1942, knowing the US. was "woefully unprepared" for Pacific war.Sept 20 Dies stated "the potential Japanese spy system in this country is greater than the Germans ever dreamed of having in the Low Countries." On October 2 Senator Gillette cited "the activities of Japanese consular official in Hawaii and in the Western States." Sec. Cordell Hull responded, "Please, Senator, I appeal to you - don't rock the boat!" In January 1942 Dies told Congress that is the Committee had been "permitted to reveal the facts on Japanese espionage and sabotage in September , the tragedy of Pearl Harbor might have been averted." Prange comments "The cutting off of its primary source of intelligence in Hawaii might well have stiffened backbones in the [Japanese] Naval General Staff to the point of refusing Yamamoto permission to go through with it.Indeed Yamamoto himself might have paused if he hadhad tio rely on chance and not current intelligence in order to find Kimmel's FLeet in Pearl Harbor." It is in this context that some innocent persons' rights were probably violated




October 1982 Boston conference Lawyers Alliance for Nuclear Arms Control headed by Alan Sherr and Wayne Jaquith with Jane Current secretary Speakers Roger Fisher Paul Warnke. I transcribed tapes of Boston and San Francisco conferences - Ron Dellums, John Culver. Boston chapter with Herbert Gleason, Steve Subrin, David Wylie met a group of Soviet lawyers including Sergei Plekhanov of Soviet institute for American studies. During 1983 deployment of huge numbers of MX missles were a major issue in Europe, and the cruise missles were seen as a hazard to verifiability of future arms control agreements. The expense and danger of huge arsenals of about twenty thousand warheads on each side was enormous. I had contacts with Randall Forsberg of Institite for Defense and Disarmament Studies, Congressman James Markey of Malden, Jerome Grossman of Council for a Liveable World, Dr. Helen Caldicott of Physicians for Social Responsibility, George Sommaripa of "The Freeze" amd members of Greenpeace, Mobilization for Survival, Women's Alliance for Peace and Freedom, the Economic Conversion Group, planning for re-employment of defense-related workers + resources, George Rathjens of MIT on feasibility of nuclear test ban. Robert Drinan wrote an important 1983 book "Beyond the Nuclear Freze" on nuclear weapons issues, including the unnecessary bombing of Hiroshima 1945. I had a number of conversations with Dr. Jonathan Fine, who called my attention to studies of psychiatrist Lester Grinspoon, who developed evidence that drug users and unstable persons were among the hundred thousand persons who had access to American nuclear warheads. My mother and I were active volunteers for the "Ad Hoc Alliance for a Safe Boston Harbor" organized by Joe Gerson of Cambridge American Friends Service Committee, to prevent deployment of cruise missles. The group invited British activist Edward P. Thompson to speak on Boston Common and had a July 28, 1983 cruise against the cruise on a Boston Harbor ferry. Influenced by William Arkin's studies of nuclear accidents, I developed a 1983 proposal to ban manufacture, storage, transportation, or deployment of nuclear weapons within fifty miles of urban areas over fifty thousand population.


TRUXTUN 1929 with Morison note p 81-1305+- Jack 1967 Sophie July 8,& November 10 & 19,1929 Adm. Dundas Tucker Jan 24,1971 Mindanao Herald of Zamboanga October 19,1929 Dr.Charles Stelle March 23, 1971;AdmRalphEarleApr28,1970


From the Medical Officer of Destroyer Division 43 - 23 December 1929 To Senior Medical Officer Camp John Hay Baguio [Northern Luzon, Philippines] "This is to certify that Lieutenant J.B. Barrett has not been exposed to any communicable disease and has not been exposed to meningitis [during] fourteen days prior to his departure from Manila." Jack got four days leave of absence 21 December 1929 and went to Camp Hay, Baguio. On the seventh of May 1930 at Tsingtao, China Jack requested six days leave, giving the address "Marine Detachment, American Legation, Peking, China." Leave was granted. On the TRUXTUN he was Executive Officer and Navigator. On May 2, 1930 he received orders from the Commander in Chief of the Asiatic Fleet at Shanghai: "Change of Duty: Upon reporting of your relief Lieutenant Lewis R. ?McDoerell-McDonell-McDonald? on or about May 15, 1930 and when directed by your Commanding Officer, you will regard yourself detached from USS TRUXTUN and will proceed by rail from Chingwantao China to Tientsin China and report to the Commanding Officer USS TULSA for duty on that vessel as relief of Lieutenant William F. FitzGerald USN." He arrived on board TULSA at Tientsin China 20 May 1930. Walter Decker was Commanding Officer. On the TULSA Jack was Gunnery Officer, First Lieutenant, and senior Watch Officer. He was acting Executive Officer prior to the arrival of Lieutenant Commander Leonard Doughty. 81-1305 CHAPTER "Duty on the Destroyer TRUXTUN in the Asiatic Station summer 1929-May,1930" Jack Barrett became interested in law about 1925, partly through contact with his 1906 Boston Latin classmate Daniel Lyne, who handled Jack's inheritance from his San Franciso aunt Kate Barrett, and also though conversations in New Zealand August 1925 with young lawyer John Rainey. Kate Barrett died May 1923, and her sister Mary wrote Jack explaining he would have the ramainder of half her property after a life interest to cousin Kate Kerrigan, who camed from Ireland in 1897 and lived with the Hessions and Barretts at 2042 Polk Street San Francisco. Jack met Fahrbach relations in April 1925. Jack's father's cousin Elizabeth Hession, who died in 1907, had married Emil Fahrbach of the Dinkelspiel department stores, and he was executor of Kate Barrett's estate. Jack met him and his son Robert Fahrbach on the MARBLEHEAD cruise in April, 1925. Jack corresponded with his California aunts many years and received a three thousand dollar legacy in 1926. The relations owned three houses near Polk Stret prior to the great 1906 earthquake and fire andrebuilt one of them afterward. Jack entered the night course at Fordham Law School's uptown Bronx campus in September 1927 and completed two school years.Among his textbooks were the New Zealand Salmond's "Jurisprudence" text and Clark and Marshall on Crimes. He requested a third year of shore duty in New York but was ordered to proceed to duty on the Asiatic station. He did however complete the school year & his law examinations before he left New York City at three o'clock in the afternoon of Friday June 2l,l929 for Chicago & San Francisco to sail on ammunition ship USS NITRO for Manila. He was a working passenger & stood watches- not on leave-on that ammunition ship.He had married me just one hour before he boarded the train to ensure my getting government passage to the Orient.At Manila the heat & humidity were trying,especially as his next ship the destroyer TRUXTUN was out at sea,& he had to live on the POPE & another destroyer, where only the thought of a mango for breakfast could get him out of bed.But the TRUXTUN did return,& he enjoyed being with its captain- an old shipmate-Lieutenant Commander Carey.Jack soon went ashore with Carey to make arrangements for Carey's impending marriage to a girl who was coming out to Manila.But Carey got sick & had to go to the hospital at Canacao while Jack took the ship as temporary commanding officer.Jack had to take the ship back to Manila so Carey could get his gear off.He had to go back to the mainland to be treated for tuberculosis,& he was retired.On August 2, l967 Jack Barrett wrote a letter to the "Prospective Commanding Officer" of a new TRUXTUN (ship names are recycled) (c/o Supervisor of Shipbuilding,Camden, New Jersey)- "A note in a recent Naval Institute (professional magazine) stated you wished to locate personnel attached to earlier TRUXTUNS.In the summer of l929,after arriving at Cavite & reporting by dispatch to Com.Desron 15,I was ordered to wait for & report on board the TRUXTUN as Executive Officer & Navigator upon her arrival from China for overhaul at Cavite.I was on EDSALL & POPE until TRUXTUN arrived, then reported on board TRUXTUN. Lieutenant Commander Charles B.C. Carey was then commanding officer.I became "exec."Ralph Earle was gunnery officer.Other officers were S.P. Martin Communications, S.Y. McKown engineer,Selman S. Bowling, L.F. Keyes. When overhaul was completed I took the ship to Olongapo for a week for standardization & small arms practice,as Carey had to go to Canacao (Naval) Hospital to clear up a respiratory condition. We were recalled to get Carey's gear off in time for him to sail to the United States a few days later because of his physical condition. It was a sad business. I had accompanied him earlier in connection with arrangements for his wedding (his fiancee was to come out to Manila- & we had high hopes of real success with the TRUXTUN,having been shipmates on the shakedown cruise of the MARBLEHEAD in l925 (newest & fastest ship in the Navy at that time) & on sister ships during the Australian cruise in l925.He was a grand person & very able.I became temporary commanding officer for Cruise of Division 43 to southern islands, Zamboanga,Jolo, Cebu-for Navy Day-then back to Manila to prepare for duty on the Yangtze.Thomas J. Keliher joined as commanding officer on our return to Manila,& I resumed my job as "exec."We were at Nanking,China for some weeks (February-March,l930); then at Tsingtao & around to Chefoo and Tangku.There I was detached & sent to the TULSA at Tientsin. I still have films of photographs of the TRUXTUN at Zamboanga taken from broad off the starboard bow- one in Full Dress & the other plain. I believe C.B.C. Carey is in the New York area.I think Ralph Earle is a Rear Admiral, retired.If I can be helpful,please call on me.Sincerely yours,John B. Barrett,Commander USN Retired." Several of Sophie's letters to Jack from 1929 have survived: "To. Lieutenant John B. Barrett U.S Asiatic Fleet c/o 15th Naval District, Cavite, P.I. July 8, l929 Barrett dear, It is just nine o'clock of a very warm evening. We are alone in the living room- Anne reading the "Life of George Washington" by Washington Irving.Ivan banging away on the typewriter composing one of his many literary efforts and I am leaning on the faithful bridge table writing the man who "went down to the sea in ships" Sailors are bad- they woo and win fair maidens - only to depart.Here is a bit of drama for you to enjoy with me. Last Monday evening I dropped in to see Agnes Drummond who is now living across the street over the Cherry Lane Theater.She had several guests there, and during the course of the conversation she inquired about you. Upon learning that you were on your way to China,she sympathized with me most graciously and told the guests what a good person you are and what a nice social manner you possess.Then she exclaimed, "Sophie why didn't you marry Barrett!" (Barrett and I were married June 21, l929, but it was kept secret from Macy's Store and friends in New York.) Spent Saturday which is now a holiday taking a long walk with Willie Kennedy.Sunday was spent over in Brooklyn with Helen Miller and her two brothers. Helen has asked me to spend next weekend with her in Phoenicia- a man she knows may drive us up there Friday night, and her brother, who has just bought a new Buick roadster- would drive us back on Sunday.In any case Helen plans to make the trip, and I think I'll join her.Haven't had much time to play with Helen lately, so perhaps we can make up for it this weekend. I recently received a lovely note from Jeanette (newlywed wife of Dr. Pete Meranski) in which she asked me to thank you for your real contribution to the pleasure of the evening which she and Pete spent with us at Longchamps. (June 20, l929).Haven't done much on my new job - except to buy a dress suitable to my new dignity.Wish you could see it, Navy blue, not too dark sleeveless and having cute bows in the front.We aren't allowed to wear sleeveless frocks, but I have a jacket of the same material - ensemble - and it's really cooler than a one piece dress. The job is largely a contact one, and clothes can make such a whale of a difference.The delicious candied fruits helped to bridge the gap in your communications.I know it's impossible to hear from you, but it seems so odd to be completely out of touch after our close companionship of almost a year. I'm sufficiently childish to resent the break but sufficiently grown up not to let myself be unhappy about it.More soon. In the meantime, with deep love - Sophie" (This stationery was engraved by Nathan Solomon of Hartford Connecticut (a l9l9 Hartford Public high School Classmate). " "I wrote to Jack November l0,l929: "Last week I read in the papers that the TRUXTUN had been ordered to Shanghai to report to the Chief of the Asiatic Fleet for further orders.I'm scared pink there may be major disturbances in the vicinity of Hankow.Your responsibilities quite overwhelm me-& I can understand why your notes to me are so short.--Sophie." On January 24,l97l,Rear Admiral Dundas Preble Tucker wrote to Sophie from La Jolla California:"In reply to your recently received letter regarding the TRUXTUN's trip up the Yangtze River in the spring of l930...In February l930 I reported to Commander Yangtze Patrol aboard his flagship,the LUZON as Flag Lieutenant to Admiral T.T. Craven.At that time all the larger cities on the Yangtze were in the hands of government forces under Chaing-kai-Shek,but Communist forces under various leaders,including Mao (tse-Tung) controlled large areas inland,particularly to the north.They made raids on the river towns & held them until driven out by government troops or foreign gunboats protecting their nationals. The Reds were quite active in l930,& the LUZON was under shore fire at least seven times that I know of between Hankow & Ichang,where they held long stretches of riverbank.In general the gunboats controlled the river from Hankow to Chungking,& the destroyers were called in to handle the lower river from Hankow to Shanghai.Since the destroyers' service under Commander Yangtze patrol was only temporary,I had occasion to board them very seldom...."On October l9,l929, the "Mindanao Herald" of Zamboanga, Philippine Islands published this story:"Officers & Bluejackets of Destroyer Divisions 39 & 43 Renew Old Acquaintances in Zamboanga: -Until the end of October the people of Zamboanga will again have the pleasure of entertaining quite a large contingent of Uncle Sam's fighting ships in Far Eastern waters.Nearly the entire fleet has returned from the China coast to the Philippines for the winter & will carry out maneuvers here.The 43rd Division comprising the PEARY,STEWART,POPE.& TRUXTUN arrived in port October l6 & will remain until October 24.On October 24 all of the ships of the two divisions of ten destroyers will fill the harbor.Numerous entertainments are being arranged for the officers of the Squadron.This evening there will be a dance at the Overseas Club in honor of the officers of the 43rd Division.The bluejackets are an intelligent,orderly bunch of young fellows & seem to be enjoying their shore leave very much." Jack enjoyed this cruise to the southern Philippines.On March 23,l97l Dr.Charles Stelle wrote from Kansas:"I remember John (Barrett) very well.He was an excellent officer & well liked by his shipmates. I remember the TULSA...with tall masts.I was detached in November,l930 while on duty up the Yangtze river & returned to the U.S. via Europe to New York.My wife was also living in Waikiki in December l94l but returned to the mainland several weeks later.I was Medical officer on BOISE cruising at that time in Philiippine waters.Best of luck." At Christmas l929 Jack sent me a greeting from Manila, [SEE PHOTO ON WEBSITE page 29 photo #864 year 1929] "Dear lady of my fondest dreams, Come join me in the Philippines, Where I will build a house for you Of sawali, nipa & bamboo With windows made of pearly shell. In sinamay I'll dress you well. And you shall have your every wish The while we dine on rice & fish." To the paper were attached samples of Sawali, Nipa, Bamboo, Shell, Sinamay, Rice & a small fish." (Note-This greeting greatly lifted Sophie's spirits, which had been down because of the lack of mail, as the following November l9 letter recorded:)" Tuesday 9:30 AM November 19,l929 Barrett dear- Yesterday your letter describing Carey's sad plight was received. Although I am genuinely distressed to learn of his condition,I cannot help feeling that if anyone had to have the opportunity to take his place,I am glad it was you, even if it lasted only a short time. As the weeks pass,and as the only impressions I receive of you are hasty notes making no reference to the letters I have written or to anything that really concerns us, the gap between us assumes alarming proportions.The only reason I do not withdraw entirely is the thought that perhaps you have not received my letters.At the end of your note you say,"Keep well and healthy." Under the present circumstances of worrying about your seeming change of mind and heart - to "keep well and healthy" is a very large order.It is your privilege to be independent- to write when, how and what you please.The result, however, is disastrous because in self-defense I am forcing myself to forget,-to love less deeply because the pain of your seeming neglect is too sharp for me to carry indefinitely.This is in no sense a plea for more letters or more consideration. Love and consideration must be freely and spontaneously given. It is merely a statement of fact- if you feel you have made a mistake- for heaven's sake tell me. It is the uncertainty and the luke-warmness which hurt- In any and every case you are grand even though you have made me unhappy - Sophie." Foregoing is first portion of TRUXTUN chapter.In preparation is sequence as Sophie worked at Macy's,Jack met Harriet Cogswell of Mount Holyoke and her fiance Paul Meyer when TRUXTUN was at Nanking China far up Yangtze River Feb-March 1930, and then after Jack was transferred to gunboat TULSA in North China,Sophie prepared for fourteen week voyage on HENDERSON to Tientsin via Panama,Yosemite, Hawaii & Philippines. .[Note by John Barrett-The TRUXTUN was in Nanking area far up the Yangtze river most of February and March 1930. The TRUXTUN officers -a group of five or six including Lieutenant Jack Barrett- were guests at the American consulate in Nanking, and consular official Paul Meyer visited for tea aboard the TULSA with his girl friend Harriet Cogswell, of the Mount Holyoke class of 1922. Harriet had been active as head of Young Women's Christian Organization and 1922 Queen of the May at college May Day festival.She then taught for a number of years at the missionary high school at Nanking, Gin-Ling college. She eventually married Paul Meyer, and her niece gave extensive family photos and letters to College History collection of Williston Library at Mount Holyoke College. There are twelve large boxes of photos from about 1924 to the late 1930s of Chinese people and places, first Nanking, later Peking, where Meyer was stationed in diplomatic service. She mentions the TRUXTUN visit in letters to her sister, who was working at Macy's in 1930 and knew Sophie Barrett, who was Macy's Director of Personnel Research. Harriet made an amusing comment that the uniforms and manners of British Naval officers were more impressive than the American ones. Jack Barrett informed Sophie of his contact with her college friend. I read the letters in 1988 at South Hadley and recommend the photos to researchers interested in life in China 1920-1940. Mount Holyoke College History Librarian Elaine Trehub now retired was enormously helpful.] One of the TRUXTUN's officers with Jack in Philippines and Yangtze 1929-1930 was Selman S. Bowling. Jack retained a copy of the memoirs of "The Log of Bob Bartletts" the Bowdoin-affiliated Arctic explorer, in which Bowling had inscribed his name. In 1944 Bowling commanded about forty-five Motor Patrol Boats which made the first contacts with Japanese forces in the decisive Battle of Surigao Strait the night of October 24-25, 1944. These forces were under Admirals Barbey and Kincaid and Clifton Sprague in the United States Seventh Fleet.In "Leyte Gulf" volume Twelve of Samuel E. Morison's history of United States Naval Operations in World War II there is a narrative pp. 26-28 of Bowling's involvement in emergency air-sea rescue planns earlier at Morotai, East Indies.Then they made an eleven-hundred mile run from Mios Wendh to Leyte Gulf via Kossol Roads accompanied by tenders WATCHAPREAGUE,OYSTER BAY, and WILLOUGHBY.They operated from Liloan Harbor on west side of Panaon Bay "sheltered from all winds but accessible" and San Pedro Bay."After dark they were ordered by Admiral Sprague to patrol Surigao Strait intensively. Morison reports "under the battle conditions their reporting of the major enemy forces was good," and enemy fire at them alerted Admiral Oldendorf's forces, leading to a decisive victory over one of the few effective remaining Japanese Naval forces. Thirty motor patrol boats came under fire out of thirty-nine participating. Ten were hit but only one"expended" [lost].Three sailors were killed and twenty wounded. Bowling was then a Commander and had considerable experience with Philippines waters from TRUXTUN days.=On April 28, 1970 Vice Admiral Ralph Earle junior of Durham, North Carolina,wrote, "I will give some of my recollections of my TRUXTUN days when your father was the Executive Officer and temporary Commanding Officer when Commander Carey was retired from the Navy because of tuberculosis. Thomas J. Keliher took over command from your father. He commanded the battleship ALABAMA during World War II and then was Admiral Nimitz's Operations Officer.He was promoted to Commodore and commanded a Service Force squadron in the Asiatic area after the war.He died about ten years ago.The cruise to the southern Philippines (commanded by Jack) was interesting, and your father took a keen interest in the people, flora, and fauna.Nothing much happened.I was two years in the TRUXTUN so there were many comings and goings, and my memory as to who was on board and when is rather faulty as I kept no diary.The TRUXTUN and I believe another United States destroyer were ordered to Nanking, China (February 1930 while Jack was aboard)to stand by to protect American lives if events made this necessary.The run up the Yangtze was extremely interesting, especially to people who had not been on the river before.Chinese river pilots were necessary as the river channel was always changing, and there were few navigational aids.We were under way only in daylight.Also present were a British cruiser, destroyer, and river boats, as well as several Japanese destroyers and maybe a cruiser.Chaing-kai-shek was about to make his advance from Nanking across the Yangtze on to the north to Peking and subdue the various war lords.The ships anchored off the city of Nanking, and the days and weeks passed very slowly as there was little visiting on shore. [There was] no trouble. Chaing was successful, and along in the spring or early summer [May, 1930] the destroyers were relieved and went to the Chefoo area for training and a visit to the Chingwantao area where liberty parties took the train for a visit to Peking.Your father left us at this time to report to the TULSA, a gunboat [at Tientsin].There were six cruisers built in the MARBLEHEAD class, and I don't consider the six inch gun class of cruisers very effective.They were quite uncomfortable for the enlisted personnel in particular. The Navy Department could send you a ship's history of the MARBLEHEAD. As i said in my first letter, I remember your father very pleasantly and his interesting conversation.The TRUXTUN anchored off Zamboanga,[western] Mindanao and off the island of Jolo.Panabutan is a blank to me.There is not much in this letter, but perhaps it will answer a few of your questions.Mr best wishes to you and your mother- Vice Admiral Ralph Earle junior USN Retired."


81-1306 Roxbury Latin TRIPOD magazine June 1952 report of Presidential Primary at school - Eisenhower landslide


Cartoon by Jerome Murray. As Editor of Roxbury Latin TRIPOD John Barrett was deeply concerned by Korean War and Communist takeover of most of China, aided and abetted by many persons in American government. He was concerned about efforts of isolationist forces to nominate Senator Robert Taft by corrupt rigging of southern delegations to Republican convention.During the summer of 1952 as a work camper at Camp Kabeyun, Alton Bay, New Hampshire sixteen-year-old John was sometimes allowed to stay up past oficial bedtime and listen to radio reports of the Convention at the camp "Shop" building, where shop teacher Tom Cunningham hosted evening gatherings. Minnesota's Harold Stassen and later California's Earl Warren ultimately voted to seat Eisenhower delegates in the contested Southern States,and Eisenhower was nominated and elected. Jack Barrett senior probably thought similarly. Sophie though more liberal on domestic issues, especially health and poverty over the years probably shared their concern over the international situation as of 1952.