Red Headed Stepchild
(The Barrett family memoir of Navy Life)
by Sophie Ruth Meranski with photos


98 -1443 Sept 1999 near Lake Crescent Lodge where bus stops in summer months.




98-1444 TULSA China letters Captain Paul + Gertrude Rice


-PAUL RICE letter On February l0,l970 a letter came from Paul Rice Captain USN who was with us on the TULSA in Tientsin l930-3l, visited Panama in l935 & lived in Waikiki l94l when the war struck until February l942."Dear John, As you surmise,Sexton was a classmate of mine, class of l909 at the Naval Academy. Captain Samuel Wilder King was a classmate-= knew him very well.He relieved me of command of the USS SAMAR at Hankow,China in June,l9l5. We had no Chaplain on the TULSA. As I remember the anchorage at the entrance of the Hai Ho River was called Tangku (note by Sophie M. Barrett"Jack & I sailed from Tangku to Japan on the Chowan Maru.Tangku is where the Japanese soldiers crossed their swords on my chest when I started to the wrong dock where a Japanese Army troop ship was next to the passengership dock.")The TULSA used oil-not coal.I spent about three years on the Yangtze- had command of the SAMAR & navigated it to Ichang one thousand miles up the river.Navigation on the river was similar to that on the Mississippi,I suppose.During the summer floods good sized ships could navigate to Hankow.Of course Gertrude & I would be glad to try to identify pictures.Mrs. Rice says she & Nathalie met your uncle Bill in New York City in l942 (but did not meet your aunt Virginia)).Please give our regards to your mother.Sincerely, Paul H. Rice. +Gertrude Rice letter TULSA CHINA material 1930-31 Mrs. Paul H. Rice (Gertrude) 523 South Hudson Avenue, Pasadena, California 91106 22 July l970 Dear Sophie, We would be glad to write to Bill Paca if you would send his address. You've never written if he is married. I thought he did marry many years ago. The things he wrote about Jack must have pleased you. It seems that somehow they should be woven into your book. I'm sure that Paul always looks to his command of the TULSA as one of his most happy commands. Strangely enough he had a command in every grade, beginning with Ensign. He had a great regard for the officers that served with him on "the TULSA," and there always seemed to be such a good relationship. I always thought the China duty the best thing the Navy had to offer, but of course we've never been in Europe. Nath has three children, two boys and a girl. Chris is 24, John is 20, and Erica 18. Nathalie is Mrs. J. V Hawley (Mrs. Vernon Hawley 333 Marion Avenue, Mill Valley CAlif 94941."




Black Notebook Number One p 32 letter from Admiral Joesph Farley USCG He was Commandant of the Coast Guard 1947 [1912 Revenue Cutter School classmate of Jack] PO Box 311 Blowing Rock, N.C. June 3, 1962 Dear Jack, Thanks for your letter of May 24. I am sorry the post office wa so slow in forwarding it, but it doesn't change anything. I am just too old and seeing too poorly to be able to attend the functions. [fiftieth reunion of the Class of 1912 at the Coast Guard Academy, New London, Connecticut] = Ruth , though having some leg trouble, is walking her head off. She owns a cottage and ten-plus acres on the side of a mountain here. Between her flowers and a small vegetable garden there is no rest for the weary. I get in about two hours a day in the vegatable garden, grass cutting and clearing overgrowth. = the last I saw of Peacock he was still working for the Maritime Commission.He was a member of the Merchant Marine association, which made me an honorary member when I retired. I have seen no mention of his death soassume he is still alive.Kain was doing quite welll in New York, -Merchant Marine insurance. Webster is still in Washington. He sent me his change of address last month- the Kennedy Warren, 3133 Connecticut Ave. NW Washngton 8, DC. Phone 232-1523. I saw Abel at a couple of parties two or three years ago. We did not see him last year when we were down there. He and his son were in real estate business. = We expect to be up here until the end of October if it does not freeze too soon. Our water pipes are exposed, so we have to move out and have the water drained from the pipes before a hard freeze comes = Sorry we can't get together for the fiftieth but wishing you the best of luck. Sincerely, Joe."




September 30, 1937 President Franklin Roosevelt spent the night at a small building just west of Lake Crescent Lodge - a building since demolished. He recommended establishment of the present Olympic Park enacted 1938 including Lake Crescent and west side Hoh, Solduc, Quinault rain forests and part of Queets Rain Forest and coastal areas as well as eastern and central high peaks Mt. Olympus, Mt. Deception, Mt. Constance.


98-1447 Black Notebook One see additions next #1448




98-1448 basaltic rocks on Lake Crescent short near Lake Crescent Lodge




98-1449 Brantingham,+ early 1940s text


In the spring of l942,the Army cut some of the barbed wire at our entrance to the beach at Waikiki,& we joyfully resumed our daily swim just before dinner each evening.One late afternoon May l942 I lit the oven to bake a few very old potatoes & the last four old yellow onions.When Jack finally came home,he had with him a young man in civilian clothes-a soiled white shirt & really dirty white civilian trousers.Jack took me aside & whispered that his guest was a Lieutenant junior grade just in from a forward area of the war exhausted & afraid of the Shore Patrol because he was out of uniform-he had no time or funds to get a uniform before he left for the states to receive a Presidential citation from Franklin Roosevelt on behalf of his unit that had been in the Philippines.We took Henry Brantingham for a walk to the beach & loaned him a swim suit.The four of us walked hurriedly to the beach, swam-& in the walk home Henry was relaxed enough to laugh & talk like a normal young person.I raced into the kitchen-where my potatoes were overcooked -& my few little onions almost burned. I cut some stale cold roast beef cooked the previous Sunday.By the time they had showered & dressed it was dark,but we sat down to our simple meal.But we had a pleasant time & whe I asked Henry if he would like to join us for a swim & supper the next night,he merely replied,"That is up to the Commander."Jack walked to the Moana hotel with Henry so he wouldn't get lost & picked up by the Shore Patrol. Jack told him not to leave the hotel until he had heard from the Transportation Office.Brantingham had been skipper of a PT boat evacuating MacArthur & his family- then in mountains of Cebu-a Filipino loaned him a civilian shirt & trousers so he could have his dirty uniform washed. Before the uniform came back from the laundry,Brantingham flew out on one of the two last planes to leave the Philippines.So that is why Brantingham reached Australia in soiled civilian clothes.Later in the Solomons he commanded one of the four PT boats that were with Lt. John F. Kennedy & was involved in picking up Kennedy, as described in Donovan's book "PT l09."Brantingham remembers us well in l970 & expressed appreciation in his l970 letter from La Jolla,California. BRANTINGHAM letter September 4, l970 Dear Mrs. Barrett Your letter brought many memories. I do indeed remember the details you mention.I remember the kindness to me by your husand & yourself,but I do [did] not remember the name.My return to the United States,I'm afraid completely pervaded my thoughts.I had just returned to Honolulu sometime in May l942 after having been in the Philippines since the October before the war started.I was attached to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron at the time,commanded by Lieutenant now Admiral John D. Bulkeley recorded in the book,"They were Expendable."One of the last tasks of this ill-fated squadron was the evacuating General Douglas MacArthur from Corregidor & taking him by PT boat to Mindanao, then he was flown to Australia. I was on the second of four boats that joined in this effort. Our squadron was awarded a 'Presidential Unit Citation".I was personally awarded an Army 'Silver Star' medal from Gen MacArthur.After depositing the General in page l19-L Mindanao, our remaining boats returned to Cebu in the central Philippines & remained there until being destroyed (April l942) when the Japanese invaded Cebu.My boat was the last to go. My crew & I were stranded in the mountains of Cebu over a period of about a month.We gradually worked our way, on foot & by native canoe back to Mindanano. We had long since discarded all non-essential equipment & had only the uniforms we were wearing.A few days later my five remaining crewmen & I were flown to Australia on the last two planes to leave the Philippines.To account for my soiled civilian clothing in Honolulu- just before we were flown to Australia, a Philippine native offered to wash my uniform,then quite dirty from weeks in the mountains. He lent me a civilian shirt & trousers to wear while the uniform was being washed.At that point the airplanes came in,& I was faced with the choice of going to Australia or waiting for the laundry.Naturally I chose the former.In the long trip from Mindanao to Honolulu via Australia & Pacific Islands,I had no opportunity to buy a uniform.In fact I was still wearing the same civilian clothes. plus my sun helmet, until I got to San Francisco, after what now seems an unbelieveable six months of strange events.After returning to the States, I stayed long enough to get married & then went back to the Solomon Islands for nineteen months-then to the Mediterranean until after VE Day (May 8, l945) then back to the Pacific-Iwo Jima Okinawa etc. until after V-J day.I don't believe I ran across your husband again.I hope this adds a little to your collection,& I thank you for your interest in writing & belatedly thank you for the evening in Hawaii.I've retired by now- living in La Jolla, working at University of California, San Diego.Thanks again for writing.sincerely, Henry J. Brantingham.PS For what it is worth,while I was in P.T(torpedo) boats in the Solomon Islands I was in command of the P.T. boat at the scene of the rescue of Lieutenant- later President John F. Kennedy.See book 'PT l09) (Donovan)" +++Brooklyn-Hawaii1940-41 from"BlackNotebookOne" early text before Sophie wrote "RED HEADED STEPCHILD] We just missed getting acquainted with the Roche family in August 1939 for they moved in downstairs in November having arrived from Newfoundland not long before that.Nora the maid slept in the small room off the dining room. Although the wire hair terrier Skippy was a very active dog, she was very careful with John. We were still at 640 when Bill called up with the news of the birth of his son William Joel August 26, 1939. Since Bill's name is William Joseph Barrett, they are both "William J. Barrett", but Billy is not "junior". His oldest son [1960s] is therefore William Joel, junior. All the Barretts were delighted with Billy's arrival. Jack had been at work for several weeks at the Branch Hydrographic Office in New York and -62-had rented an apartment and unpacked and arranged the furniture at 9615 Shore Road. He now came back for us, and we made the train trip to New York and taxied to Brooklyn. --After bring settled in Brooklyn I wrote a letter to the Head Red Cap, Los Angeles Railroad Station, telling him the exact time and date when our train left Los Angeles and explaining why we failed to tip a most helpful red cap who had to jump off a moving train. I asked him to try to locate the red cap so that I could pay him. Very soon after we received a letter telling us the name and address of the red cap. I sent him a letter of appreciation and of apology and a check for five dollars. We received a thank-you note from him. The stores on Third, Fourth, and Fifth Avenues in Brooklyn were about five blocks walk up 97th Street from Shore Road. This was also the route to the subway. Jack rode the subway to work at the Custom House Tower. There was a good meat market on Third Avenue where we bought rib roasts, chopped sirloin, and other cuts. We soon made the acquaintance of the Rooney family on the first floor and became very good friends. For recreation we would walk to Fort Hamilton, or drive to Prospect Park or Owl's Head Park to see the squirrels. Later on we made more ambitious trips to Jones, Beach, Coney Island and the World's Fair. -63-In 1940 Bill called up to give me my first news of Jack's promotion to Commander. He had also been the first one to read the news in the New York Times when Jack made Lieutenant Commander in 1932. At Thanksgiving 1939 we drove to Overbrook, Pennsylvania, to see my sister Bee. Sam worked for LeRoux Liquers making cordials, and their two children Jason and Thalia were somewhat older than John. My brother Pete and his wife Jen drove -64- up from Baltimore. After a fine Thanksgiving dinner we all left for home. Around this time my sister Esther in Hartford had successful surgery for abdominal cancer. John was interested in the snow in the back courtyard at 9615 Shore Road, after the mild winter the year before in the San Diego area. The paved courtyard behind the building used to have curious little whirlwinds produced by the shape of the building, and his father would point them out and talk about low pressure systems. Jack had many years studying winds and hydrography - came through a Carribean hurricane September 1935 on the trip of the HANNIBAL north from Panama to Virginia- Mollie had taken photos of the September 1938 hurricane damage at Carson Beach, South Boston, and around this time Gershom Bradford was developing his theory that low pressure waterspouts west of the Azores caused the abandonment of the New Bedford fishuing schooner MARY CELESTE in November 1872. Jack used to recite a verse about hurricanes -"June too soon- July stand by- August - look out you must - September - Remember! - October, -all over -" - but then he would tell he knew of a bad hurricane in November. -- There was a small patch of poison ivy on the fence, and Jack would tell us how his father once met some tourists who were collecting bright-red three-leaved autumn bouquets of poison ivy foliage contrary to his advice. Jack's father also advised passengers to sit in the middle cars of subway and railroad trains, as accidents usually damaged the front or rear end. Jack's father gave up his plumbing shop in 1926, but later would be called out from time to time as a consultant when a leak occurred because he had an exceptional knowledge of the complex mains and pipes underground in Boston. He later said he might not have retired if he had known he would live so long. His wife had diabetes, before insulin was available but she survived to age eighty to January 1938, requiring considerable care, while grandfather himself remained strong and active nearly until his death in August 1942 at age eighty-seven years, eight months. Jack grew and photographed many amaryllis, ranunculus plants, anemones,, and begonias, but never had any luck with freesias. Both Christmases at Brooklyn we devoted considerable energy to decorating small Christmas trees. One year there was a considerable problem with a leak in a tub of water that was used to prevent the tree from drying out. We have photos from both Christmases, and Joan Rooney from downstairs appears in many of the 1940 Christmas photos.We still [1970] have much of the Chinese furniture that appears in pictures at the Brooklyn apartment. Jack fashioned clothesline swings on the roof for John. In early 1940 there were spectacular displays of the five planets all visible shortly after sunset in the western sky across the Narrows,-65- This grouping of the five visible planets occurs less than once every twenty years. We spent many hours watching them. We had a large Tinkertoy set and began to accumulate the Beatrix Potter series of books Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, the Flopsy Bunnies,Mrs. Titmouse, Squirrel Nutkin,Pigling Bland, the Tailor of Gloucester, Tom Kitten, the Roly-Poly Pudding, the Two Bad Mice,Jeremy Fisher, Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle,Ginger and Pickles, and the rest. Jack began to invent his own sequels to these stories. A little illustrated child's story of a dog "Sniffy" and a cat "Mitzi" provided us a name for the toy cat our maid Nellie Kelly gave John in Philadelphia. In May 1940 Mitzie appears in one of John's better photos in the fields across Shore Road. The koala bear the Craig family sent from Melbourne was one of the most unusual of John's big collection of toys. Jack had a porcelain kookaburra [bird] from New Zealand. Grandpa gave a white toy horse, and Bill gave a rocking horse while we were in Coronado 1938. A candy company gave away toy Peter Rabbit bunnies with boxes of Easter candy.We added"Saucy Squirrel", several more rabbits, a toy dog,a bear, a panda, and a cow. The Tinkertoys made good windmills and derricks,and there was a spring motor, we spent many hours with these. In the Brooklyn newspapers we used to read "Napoleon and -66- p66- Uncle Elby, Maggie and Jiggs in "Bringing Up Father" and "Mutt and Jeff." John learned to read by watching the page as we read stories and would puzzle over the Culbertson bridge columns. During the summer of 1940 we visited Mrs. Conover in Ossining, New York. She was a friend from the [PRESIDENT] PIERCE Voyage of 1932. She prepared good meals despite unfortunately hot weather. Her son Frank sold antiques at home. About July 1940 we went to see Bee and Sam in Atlantic City. Jack said John needed no swimming instruction but instinctively dog-paddled, treaded water, floated, and tried to head for Europe. By the time we returned to their house, Sam and Bee had gone out for the evening, and John was so tired, we went right to bed. Jack was tired too, and although he meant to stretch out to rest for a short time, he fell asleep for the night. The next morning he found a police ticket in his car for having parked illegally overnight. One time Jack was caught in an eight or ten foot wave at Jones Beach [where we went frequently on south coast of Long Island.] Fortunately, he saw it a moment before it hit, grabbed a deep breath, and rolled around with it until it passed by, - without serious effects. After that we used the children's area to swim at Jones Beach. Kay Trufant of Mount Holyoke [1923 classmate] made on trip to Jones Beach with us, as did Anne's sister Eleanor Taylor. p. 67- Anne and Ivan McCormack came to Sunday dinner at Shore Road, and we returned their visit at Patchen Place. Anne gave John a Hershey bar, which would have been the first candy he had, but I found the bar unopened by John, and when he failed to ask for it for several days, I ate it. We saw the film Pinocchio in Brooklyn.The color [Technicolor] was considered advanced at that time. We visited Macy's [Stores] several times, and August 28, 1940, Jack bought a Baldwin Spinet piano there on his fifty-second birthday, for about seven hundred dollars on sale. Chester Swanner, his old friend from the ZIZANIA from the Lighthouse Service in Maine in 1912 was with him that day while he was in Macy's buying the piano. Later Mr. Swanner had dinner at 9615 [Shore Road]. He was a Mississippian, very much interested in cattle raising- and planned to study the cattle exhibits of the New York World's Fair. His special interest was Ayrshire cattle. He declined an invitation to tour the World's Fair exhibits with us because he preferred to concentrate on the cattle exhibits. He had written Jack from a freighter in Tamipaulis, Mexico in 1923 and had a daughter born about 1920. Mollie Barrett could not locate him when she visited Bay St. Louis, Mississippi in 1961 [Mollie went to see Mrs. DeSta, mother of her brother Bill's wife Margaret, whom Bill married in 1958]. The wild apple blossoms were one of the attractive features of the spring flowers on the undeveloped slope between Shore Road and the ocean waters near The Narrows leading to New York Harbor in front of our apartment at #9615 Shore Road. Mollie came to 9615 Shore Road only once, and that was a quick trip during a visit at Bill's in Darien. My sister-in-law Ethyle Meranski and her son and daughter Carol Jane stayed one night in the apartment when they were our guests at the World's Fair. We bought a pencil -p . 68- sharpener which we still have [1970] and another one as a gift for Ted. I was struck by the length of time Ethyle cooked the hamburgers; theyt wanted them crisp and well-done for their lunch the day after they went to the Fair, before leaving for their home in Hartford. On one occasion Sam Pollack had business in new York and brought his family. I think he was arranging to transfer to the Schenley company, which wanted him in its management.Not long after this he joined their staff in Cincinnati and later came as a senior executive to the home office in the Empire State Building. Young Thalia stayed with us. Friday she went with us to the World's Fair, where we enjoyed seeing the Borden cows milked mechanically. My brother Harry's sister-in-law, Marion Taylor, was a nurse at the Green Point hospital, Brooklyn, at this time. I invited her to dinner, and I spent a lot of time making roast chicken, which I had never served to my family before. Jack, John, and I were enjoying the meal when Marion said, "I don't like chicken." She ate it like a good sport. Helen Miller lived in Brooklyn and came to the apartment once to help hang curtains and draperies. She was still working for Mary Augusta Clark in the Commonwealth Fund. I talked with Mrs. Edward Beach on the phone early in our stay in Brooklyn, when she called up to invite me to dinner. I had to decline, however, as we had no baby sitter, and she felt it would not be an appropriate dinner for John. As a result I have not yet met those very good friends of Jack's from the battleship WYOMING [is it destroyer TOUCEY 1921?] I voted for Willkie, in November 1940. It was the first time I voted. The State of New York used to discriminate against voting by military personnel, so my husband could not vote. They also tried to collect 1939 income taxes, though he resided principally in California that year. A mistake by the Navy in sending data to New York required much correspondence to straighten out. Jack had also to explain the situation to Massachusetts Tax Commissioner Henry Long, who was later [1951] to become his good friend as his teacher in Taxation at Northeastern University Law School. We toured the Perisphere and Trilon at the New York World's Fair, and Jack was proud of a lighted night view of the Perisphere, which he took with his Voightlander camera. We enjoyed the Borden cows and milking exhibit. I especially enjoyed a restaurant where we got tender rare roast beef and a wonderful dessert of cake and ice cream with fudge sauce. We had a lady come in twice a week to vacuum the floors and furniture. She also took my aprons home to wash, and I gave her a great many of John's baby things when she said that her daughter was going to have a baby. We used Bill Barrett's dentist Dr. Ellis on Fifth Avenue, New York. Jack was not particularly anxious to retire in 1940, though he had thought of continuing law study. However, officers were p 70 being encouraged to retire under a policy that gave an extra grade of rank to those that applied for voluntary retirement - a so-called Irish promotion. Very reluctantly about February 1940 he submitted his request for voluntary retirement. Unexpectedly, instead of being retired, he was promoted to Commander.He would have gone on the Retired List June 30, 1940 while in fact remaining on duty in charge of the New York [Branch] Hydrographic Office. On June 12, eighteen days before his scheduled retirement, all voluntary retirements were cancelled, and he stayed on the active list for six and one half more years, thus giving him an opportunity to qualify for thirty years active service, which he attained in mid-1943. There are some good family photos in Owl's Head Park with the Rooneys in September 1940. They latter part of our stay in Brooklyn they became close friends. We saw a lot of them around Christmas, l940 and in June 1941. On our last day in our apartment Mrs. Rooney gave us a very good lunch - chicken, potatoes, and peas just before we caught our train for the West Coast. Mrs. Rooney died during the war, but we saw George Rooney and his second wife in 1958 in their same apartment after the wedding of David Geetter and his wife Joan Trouboff. Mr. Rooney said his daughter Joan was studying nursing. In 1941 Admiral Chester Nimitz [then of Bureau of Navigation] sent orders for Jack to leave for Pearl Harbor in July. It was rather painful to tell Grandfather Barrett and Mollie. Grandpa guessed the news, but Mollie did not. {In our 1937 Lincoln Zephyr] we took a tour to Springfield and Greenfield, in western Massachusetts, drove near Mount Monadnock in New Hampshire, and stopped in for a night in South Boston without explaining the reason. It was a slightly awkward visit, as Mollie did not expect us and did not guess we were to be away for six years. Later on a visit to Darien we told Bill and Virginia we were leaving, and Bill and Jack took pictures of John (age five) and Billy (twenty-one months). In early July after a goodbye lunch with the Rooneys we took a train for the West Coast. We took a northerly route because of our previous experience with summer weather. We crossed Nebraska. Around daybreak at five AM Jack called us as we passed into Colorado at Julesburg on the northern border of the state. We were only in the state a few minutes. Then we went across Wyoming and were a mile high in Cheyenne, as Jack told us then and used to recollect in later years. We got out of the train there briefly. At Salt Lake City we changed trains and headed South through Utah to Las Vegas and southern California.Probably there was a little less hot weather than on the Arizona route.. We were to catch the Matson Line LURLINE at Wilmington, California near Los Angeles about July 10 and arrive Honolulu July 15. The Pardees saw us off and were very impressed with the suite we occupied on the LURLINE. I think C.J. Todd [former Revenue Cutter School classmate] may have been there also. p.72- An elaborate sendoff with many colored long paper streamers from the ship to the pier was provided After a pleasant five day voyage on arrival at Honolulu, many people purchased flower leis, and Gertrude Rice came with her daughter Nathalie to meet us and put one of the frangipani flower leis around my neck. Another was presented to me by Captain Knowles, the officer in charge of the Pearl Harbor War Plans office where Jack was to work. Gertrude Rice, her daughter Nathalie, and John and I sat in the patio of the Moana Hotel on Waikiki Beach while Jack rode off to Pearl Harbor with Captain Paul Rice. We stayed a long time, and when Jack failed to return to us, I inquired at the desk at the Moana, and I was told that my husband had registered us there, and I was given the key to a double room, which had a child's cot in it. Gertrude went home for lunch, saying she would see us in the lobby of the Moana hotel after dinner. John and I found the glare of Waikiki very trying [the sun was nearly overhead in July] , and we found the tropical heat to be exhausting. Both of us were glad to be indoors, and even after a nap we stuck closely to the large lanai, which was covered against the afternoon sun. That evening out in the large patio Gertrude and Paul Rice were with us when we saw our first hula dancers and listened to the high voices of the Hawaiian male singers. The waiter made fancy forms out of toothpicks to amuse the five-year-old John, and the trunk porter Jake Oberholzer really adopted John. The first Saturday we were there Jack took us "around the Island" [Oahu] and the dining room was just about to be -p73- closed when we returned, but the kindly head waiter let us in, and we were glad to eat and go to bed. The three of us found the climate enervating at first. I had to wear dark glasses, and an allergic skin condition on my hands. which I had in China in 1931 soon returned. In spring 1942 at night during strict wartime blackout I was painfully stung in the scalp by a very large centipede, which left two large fang marks. We had shipped our furnture from Brooklyn to Pearl Harbor, because we were told before we left New York we would have government quarters. About a week after our arrival, before our furniture got there, Jack drove us to Pearl Harbor to see our new home. I was sick at heart to find that our quarters were not far from the oil storage tanks [a huge main Naval facility at Makalapa] and that the houses being built were much too large for our small family of three people. The living room was twice the size of any home I had had before, and my gold living room rug - nine by twelve feet- and my ancient Kassiu rug would be lost in those spacious rooms. Moreover, I owned no dining room furniture, and my one bureau and one chest of drawers could not fill three large bedrooms. Since I expected to stay in Pearl Harbor only two years- maybe three- I couldn't imagine buying curtains and draperies for all those windows. When I arrived, Gertrude told me it was just about impossible to get a cook or maid in Honolulu, and I couldn't imagine how I could take care of that enormous house alone. Also I considered the monthly rent of one hundred twenty-five dollars extravagant. When Jack told the Fourteenth Naval District Paymaster that I didn't want the quarters, the paymaster told Jack that he would assign them to a doctor with a large family.So we stayed at the expensive -p74- Moana for both room and meals and began looking for a place to live, without any success. Still I did not regret not living near those oil tanks and not having that big house to furnish and decorate. Knowing that I was concerned about the expense of the Moana and getting a bit tired of the constant singing and dancing there, Gertrude Rice took me to the agent who had rented her an apartment in Waikiki. He told us about a small furnished apartment at 2415 Ala Wai Boulevard, Waikiki, which would be vacated the next day [July 28] and rented for ninety-five dollars. That was the only furnished place he had listed. So we went with him, and the little family of Navy Lieutenant Bailey there were enthusiastic about the place they had had for only two months, - but they had to sail to the mainland because the husband had been ordered to a ship on the West Coast. She sold me two couch covers, green with white ships, an inexpensive table lamp, and a heavy frying pan, - and I rented the apartment joyfully, paying the rent in advance and the agent's fee. The next day we moved in,carrying our bags up Kaiulani Street to the Ala Wai. I expected to stay there until my furniture arrived and until I found an unfurnished place. On the day I moved in, Mrs. Bailey was scheduled to sail. She had left the door unlocked while she did a few last-mimute errands. When I left the apartment, I carefully locked the door so no one would steal my things and her suitcases. When I returned several hours later, she told me that I had locked her out without her door key, but her son got in through a window. They soon left for the ship. Very soon after we moved in, our next door neighbor at #2421, Mrs. James Needles (Edythe) dropped in, and told me that she had furnished the place for our landlord and had also furnished the four small apartments next door at #2411 Ala Wai Boulevard, which also belonged to Mr. Glockner. He dropped in after his work at the brewery and complained that I had moved in before I signed an inventory of the furnishings. I shrugged it off, saying I would go over the inventory with him at his convenience- but we never did -and I never signed anything for him. I just rented the place on a monthly basis and stayed six years. My husband worked in War Plans at Pearl Harbor when he arrived. About five o'clock every evening we went to the nearby Waikiki Beach to swim- a delightful experience. We would walk a long block east on Ala Wai Boulevard past shower, poinciana, and Bauhinia "orchid" trees and then seven blocks down broad Liliuokalani Street, named for the 1890s Queen of Hawaii, who spent much time in Waikiki. We would pass Mountain View, Cleghorn, Kuhio, and Koa Streets to Kalakaua Avenue, the main business route along Waikiki Beach. Often Captain and Mrs. Rice would swim with us and come to our house for dinner afterwards. The talk betwen Jack and Paul Rice invariably turned to war with the Japanese. Although many civilians and service personnel doubted the imminence of war with Japan, both Jack and Captain Rice believed it was a real possibility. Not long after my husband expressed the view to his superiors that the battleships were sitting ducks for bombing - one bomb could hit two ships in the Pearl Harbor lochs- he was transferred to head the Overseas Transportation Office - with title of Assistant Personnel Officer in October 1941. 75-76 Theoretically he was assistant personnel officer under the Personnel officer Captain Lewis, but in practice the transportation duty took practically all his time. He held the post throughout the entire duration of the Pacific War and a couple of months afterwards. His office was near the south corner of the first floor of the Administration Building at Pearl Harbor with two doors, one on each side of the left front corner of the building. The public entrance was on the front of the Administration Building facing east, while there was a less-used access to Jack's inner office around the corner on the south lanai. Persons having business with the Overseas Transportation Office usually walked in the door on the front side of the building into a large room where the staff of ten or twelve military and civilian employees had their desks. Commander Barrett's private office adjoined the main room and had windows and a door on the left side of the building. John used to visit frequently from late 1942 onward, usually on weekends or school vacations = Jack worked every day including Sundays and took no leave during the war. Jack's Assistant Lt. Commander USNR Martin Williams from Kentucky frequently visited us in Waikiki to swim and have supper. We got into a discussion one time of Jack's work at the Office, and John teasingly remarked, "All he does is sign his name and bawl people out." One of the best photographs we have of Jack was taken at his desk in the private office by a Navy photographer in 1943. Unfortunately we have no record of his name. In 1941 a kamaaina resident of the Hawaiian Islands named Jimmy Murray was his first assistant. Later Martin Williams a Reservist from Kentucky arrived and was a close friend and associate from July 1943 through October 1945. Wilfred Pang, with shipping and personnel experience and Catle and Cook and Matson Navigation had great knowledge of passenger ship procedures and spent much of his time running an office in downtown Honolulu that serviced the transportation of wives and fmaillies. other workers such as Robert Choy, Violet Ho, and Philip Dolan were also very good friends. Jack was fortunate in his staff. Although my furniture arrived and was at Pearl Harbor, I could not find an unfurnished house and did not try too hard because we were comfortable in the little house which required very little housework. Walter Glockner lived in the one room apartment above us. The first few months we had more free time than we did after the war started in December 1941 and after John started school in September 1942. The main business street of Waikiki is Kalakaua Avenue, which runs past the hotels and is zoned for business. Eight blocks inland the Ala Wai Boulevard built about 1922 is a scenic route more or less parallel to Kalakaua Avenue, which is on the shore. Ala Wai Boulevard has houses only on the "makai". (seaward) side, On the other p77 side of its two-and-a-half mile length is a row of carefully planted palm trees and purple-flowered bouganvillea bushes and then down-about six feet the cement-walled Ala Wai Canal, which drains an area that formerly was marshy. Although the water is somewhat polluted, and the sides are barnacle encrusted, it provides a splendid sight from a little distance. Beyond it was a very fine golf course and spectacular view of the mountains and valleys of the volcanic, two thosand foot Koolau range, which forms the backbone of the Island of Oahu along the windward northeastern shore. The moutains rise virtually from sea level In the foreground in the view from our house from left to right were Round Top, Manoa Valley, St. Louis Heights, Palolo Valley, and Wilhelmina Rise. Many houses were visible on Wilhelmina Rise, and their lights would be visible at night above the neighboring residential area of Kaimuki. A small number of houses were visible on St. Louis Heights. In the background the higher peaks of the Koolau Range were visible.behind the foreground features, and these mountains frequently were covered by rain clouds thrown up against them by the Northeast Trade Winds. These mountains sharply divided Honolulu from the windward side of the Island. In the old days only the Nuuanu Pali road crossed the mauntains, and it did so at an altitude of more than a thousand feet. Later a shore road was developed around Koko Head at the southeastern end of the Island. - the Kalanianaole highway with spectacular views of the "Blowhole" and other surf features. p. 78- In September 1941 Jack took many pictures of our Ala Wai house, lawn, car, and views of the mountains, palm trees, and the Ala Wai canal and the beginnings of our garden there. Fortunately we got a considerable group of photographs of him on our lawn in his white uniform at this time. In October we went to the Kapiolani Park and Zoo at the eastern end of Waikiki not far from the prominent crater of Diamond Head, which nearly everyone uses to identify photographs of Waikiki Beach. The Diamond Head crater was off limits to tourists and ocupied by an Army Fort, whose searchlights we would see at night. Kapiolani Park had a very large collection of spectacular tropical birds. We found an African crowned crane probably the most interesting exhibit. There were also birds of paradise. peacocks, a penguin, an Australian cassowary, toucans, storks, and other more familiar varieties. A large pigeon cage was open at the top, and thousands of white pigeons were free to stay in the cage or try their luck outsideas they preferred. There were numerous goats and monkeys, and after a while some Australian wallabies were added an became a favorite exhibit. There were many acres of trees - ironwoods, coconut and date palms, banyans, monkeypods and well-kept grass and a bandstand area where I frequently attended Sunday afternoon band concerts, usually bring John. Jack worked seven days a week at the Overseas Transportation Office at Pearl Harbor making a daily drive of twelve miles each way. In back of our house one block from the Ala Wai was a famous banyan tree known as Kaiulani's banyan. Banyans are very broad tropical trees whose heavy spreading branches send down tendrils that reach the ground and form new roots at a distance from the central trunk. They provide excellent shade, and on the north side of this tree there is a stone seat where the poet Robert Louis Stevenson often sat in 1890 with the young princess Kaiulani of the Hawaiian royal family. The Polynesians called him Tuisitala - the teller of tales. The street is called Tuisitala after Stevenson, an a plaque commemorates Kaiulani's banyan. In Waikiki we remember the Piggly Wiggly store near the corner of Kalakaua Avenue and Liliuokalani Street. and N. Aoki Limited near the corner of Ohua Street. These were two stores where we bought groceries, vegetables, and meat. Bird's Eye frozen foods were becoming available., such as spinach or peas. Later we bought most of our groceries at the Pearl Harbor Navy Commissary. Whole wheat bread was hard to find, and we began to make trips to a bakery on Kapahulu Street in Kaimuki where we would get it fresh from the oven. Jack was consistently pessimistic and ready for the worst as far as Japanese war intentions were concerned. War warnings had been received November 27 by the top commanders in the Army and Navy, and at this date Jack was glad not to be in War Plans at this stage in view of the prevailing complacency, which he had been unable to influence. We recommend a book entitled "The Week Before Pearl Harbor " for an accurate picture of what went on. An enlisted sailor in Jack's Transportation Office asked permission to fly to one of the outlying islands [probably Maui or Molokai] over December 6 and 7 when he was off duty. Jack insisted that he file formal leave papers. "You never can tell what may happen." This precaution kept this individual from being AWOL [Absent Without Official Leave] when his return was delayed by the starts of the war. -80- We had become familiar with the Liberty House store in downtown Honolulu, and on Saturday December 6 we made numerous purchases there and at Woolworth's of Christmas presents, hardware, dishpans, kitchen strainers, oilcloths, and many items that became extremely scarce as soon as the war started. On Monday December 8 people cleared the shelves, and the stores were closed December 9. We had been taking Sunday morning swims about 7:30 AM before breakfast the last few weeks.,but on Sunday December 7, l941 it was an unusually cool, dark day, and we were thinking about skipping the swim and began breakfast. About 7:50 AM Mr. Needles rapped on the screen window on the left side of the house and told John and me that all military personnel were ordered to report to their stations because of a Japanese air attack on Pearl Harbor. Jack was in the bathroom when I told him about the attack, and before he could get dressed, Mr. Needles was back again urging hm to hurry. Jack proceeded a short way with John in the car,- saw the Japanese planes- realized that it was indeed no drill- bought a Sunday newspaper, and dropped John with it at home. He thinks the slight delay may have saved his life because he drove over a spot on his route with "Hot ashes" from a bomb [or probably U.S. antiaircraft fire from the ships]. Several people had been killed there, so he was glad not to have been there a few minutes earlier. He came home in the December dark about six PM that night for supper but then had night duty at Pearl Harbor for three or four nights consecutively, and he was working day and night for the next several weeks. That Sunday morning he left in civilian clothes but came home in uniform with gun and ammunition belt. --81- About ten AM an Army Jeep passed through our section of Waikiki telling people to stay indoors, for all military personnel to report to their stations, to boil all drinking water, to refrain from using the telephone, to observe a six PM to six AM blackout and a ten PM curfew for citizens and a seven PM curfew for aliens. We had never had a trial blackout. About ten Am December 7 Gertrude Rice came by in a taxi. She had left her apartment on Lewers Road, which was about a mile west of us near the Army Fort DeRussy. She planned to stay with friends in the hills away from the waterfront area, and she wanted us to go with her for safety. I declined, because Jack would have no way of knowing where we were, if he returned or telephoned. Our little house was in a relatively safe location twelve miles from Pearl Harbor and over a mile - probably two miles from Derussy, the nearest Army fort. We had made a wise or lucky choice. John and I had an early dinner and the place was fully dark and blacked out when Jack returned with the horrifying news of the Pearl Harbor disaster in ships and in men, telling me to say nothing about my information as we were anxious to keep the Japanese from knowing how successful they were. He did tell me secretly, "They [the Japanese] did a 'sweet' [highly effective] job." He felt they missed an opportunity by not hitting our ship repair facilities and the oil storage tanks. Halsey's carriers were at sea, though on that Sunday two thirds of their airplanes were temporarily unavilable for action. {As Japanese planes were fast and highly maneuverable, and Americans at that had little experience finding their weaknesses, some people including Admiral Nimitz since have wondered whether Halsey's planes could have counterattacked effectively even if they had been available. Later American pilots did learn that the fast Japanese attack planes could indeed be destroyed, and Halsey would have liked to have had the opportunity December 7] T he ship repair facilities remqining intact saved us several months in the war effort. They were under the command of Admiral William Furlong and William Calhoun and Captain Gillette. Captain Paul Rice was involved in managing civilian workers. Because we were a military family of moderately high rank, many of our neighbors gathered in our home in the early evening to find out what they should do. Jack was very careful to give -82- them no information, though he minimized the likelihood of invasion of Oahu. An invasion force required far greater logistic support than the December 7 airstrike, and Japan clearly could not sustain her war effort without concentrating her major energies on the immediate capture of the indispensable oil resources of the Dutch East Indies. Therefore an attempt to capture Oahu appeared beyond her capability. Jack was kindly and patient with all the concerned people and their questions. About midnight Captain Paul Rice called up and asked if we knew where his wife was. I told him that she had stopped by my house that morning saying she was going to the home of friends in the hills, but I didn't know what friends or what hill. Very early the next morning December 8, Paul and Gertrude appeared at my door, and we arranged to have Gertrude sleep with us as Paul and Jack would be working day and night. Nathalie had gone to school [college] on the mainland in September. Gertrude slept with us for about a week. Paul returned nights to his apartment after that. After Jack left us for several days on the morning of December 8, the FBI came around looking for our landlord, Mr. Walter Glockner. He was a thirty-four year old American citizen whose rights were flagrantly violated over the next several years by the FBI and the military government of Hawaii because he had been born in Germany. The military governor of Hawaii was fined five thousand dollars for contempt of a habeas corpus order of the -83- civilian courts of the Territory of Hawaii in this cases and the related case of Mr. Saife, but the fine was never paid as President Roosevelt pardoned Governor Richardson. In a similar case from Hawaii [[Korematsu v. United Sttes]] the United States Supreme Court decided in 1946 that the military authorities had clearly acted unconstititutionally, and it is to be hoped that American citizens will be spared such hardships in the future. Mr. Glockner was confined for some months in 1942 at Federal immigration facilities at Sand Island in Honolulu Harbor. The military availed themselves of his talents as a brewer on several occasions preparing beer for the troops. He remained cheerful and was a loyal American but sought legal counsel to obtain his freedom. He corresponded with me about the care of his property and assisted us to various repairs to the sink and other matters and asked me to put moth balls in the suits in his apartment. He hoped my husband would act as a character witness on his behalf at the hearing, but Jack had known him only a brief time and was cautious, not knowing enough about him to be certain, though he was a fine landlord and considerate. After some months the military, wary of the growing indignation of the civilian authorities in Honolullu, made a deal with Mr. Glockner. They agreed to release him in Wisconsin, and he had no objection to leaving the Islands for the duration of the war, though it involved some hardship. He sold several real estate properties in Oahu in which he had invested,- but kept the two houses on Ala Wai in view of the fact that I paid my rent regularly. Another property in Kahala he sold because collections had been difficult. He earned a good living as a brewer in -84- Stevens Point, Wisconsin 1943-1945 and sent us photographs of himself and his dog. He also had a pet fox. The Hawaiian Trust Company acted as his agent concerning the property during the early part of the war. Later the Maier Realty Company took over. Mr. Glockner returned to the Islands in 1945 when the war was over. Barbed wire soon appeared along Waikiki Beach and along the row of palm trees on the north side of Ala Wai Boulevard across from our home next to the Canal. It also appeared in other shore locations that might afford landing places in an invasion. After a time a zig-zag path was opened that permitted swimmers to get down to the water through gates in the barbed wire at Waikiki Beach. When the wire was removed a year or two later, there was still a hazard in walking on the beach because of rusty pieces of barbed wire that would turn up buried in the sand here and there. John went barefoot most of the time as was the general custom. We had tetanus shots and boosters. Most of the sand at Waikiki Beach was imported from Kaneohe, but it was still an atrractive beach inside a breakwater and relatively calm. As I was walking from the bus with John to take him to the Honolulu Art Academy on Beretania Street one rainy afternoon, my priceless black unbrella was caught in the barbed wire and sustained a large hole. Umbrellas were impossible to obtain in wartime Hawaii. I remarked, "That's the only thing that the miles and miles of barbed wire in Honolulu ever caught." We received telegrams from Jack's father and sisters in South Boston, my sisters Bertha Pollack and Babe Geetter, and from Dr. Craig in Melbourne concerning our safety after the Pearl Harbor attack. We also received some especially fine presents from the Craigs in Australia in 1941 and 1942. Besides the usual books at Christmas and geographic "Walkabout" magazine, they sent a toy koala, a white wool rug, and a beautiful paperweight of Australian opal - primary color light azure blue, but with prismatic oranges, greens, and purples from different angles of view. Mr. and Mrs. Needles next door gave us some very special Christmas present in 1941 which we have treasured ever since - the most unusual was a ten-inch-long electric light bulb made in Japan and designed as a Santa Claus, in a red suit with a white beard, with green and yellow ornamentation and Japanese facial features,- probably for use by Japanese Christians or Japnese-Hawaiians. We used this light sparingly, and it has continued to light up [until given to Hallahan family of West Roxbury in 1993 still in working condition]. Mr. and Mrs. Needles also gave us several other small Christmas ornaments including a sleigh with reindeer and a cloth Santa Claus on a little plastic stand with a walnut in the sack on his back. The Needles' property at #2421 had about the same frontage as our house at #2415, but it had a deep back yard going in most of the distance from Ala Wai Boulevard to Tuisitala Street to the south. It was fine for croquet and other games. A coconut palm tree, pink and red hibiscus bushes, and a long variegated panax hedge had been planted along the property line when the houses were built around 1922. A large prickly pear cactus stood at the southwest corner of the Needles property. Shortly after we arrived,Mr. Glockner planted four little papaya trees, but only the one furthest from the street near our back bedroon survived. It eventually grew eight or nine feet tall and produced many delicious papayas, which we regularly consumed. Mangoes were our favorite tropical fruit- less regularly available, though our neighbor Mrs. Distelli and sixth-grade teacher Mrs. Hazleton on Kuhio street occasionally gave us excellent fresh ones. We never developed much of a taste for breadfruit, though there was an attractive-looking breadfruit tree on Mr. Glockner's property between our driveway and his apartments next door at #2411. Bright yellow and orange ginger plants bloosomed in fron of #2411. There were blue passion flowers growing on a trellis which served as the open west wall of our garage, whose roof was supported by heavy pillars of lava rock at the corners. Our living room and kitchen doors opened into the garage on the right [[west]] side of the house, and there was a shower door at the right rear corner of the house, ideally designed for coming back in to take a shower after swimming at Waikiki Beach. Directly behind the house at 2415 was the stairway to the upstairs apartment. Mr. Glockner lived there in 1941, and several war workers later occupied the apartment. -86- Finally a young Samoan woman with two small children lived there at the end of the war and remained when we left in June, 1947. A fence divided the Glockner properties from a two-story apartment building on Tuisitala Street behind our house. Bomb shelters were soon built in the back part of the Needles' yard and in the vacant lot between the Glockner apartments at #2411 Ala Wai and the corner of Kaiulani Street to the west. Mr. amd Mrs. Needles started a victory garden on top of their bomb shelter and managed to grow some carrots and other vegetables there. There were several air raid alerts in early 1942 , and we used the Needles' bomb shelter several times most at night,though in fact only a very few stray Japanese planes actually came near Oahu after the war started. During one late night air raid alert we stayed home and watched the powerful searchlights from Diamond Head instead of going into the dreary shelter. We had 1941 Christmas dinner over at Gertrude Rice's apartment near Lewers Road and Fort DeRussy in west-central Waikiki. We walked there, carrying our gas masks, and she served a delicious dinner-= brandied pears served with the turkey. Jack was working Christmas Day, loading passengers at the dock, but he came and joined us after we had eaten, but Mrs. Rice saved food for him, and a grand time was had by all. [[There was a discussion of how much brandy the fruit contained - John thought the pears were delicious and asked for a second helping- Gertrude mentioned a time when she had a drink that seemed to keep her awake, "My heart beat, beat, beat all night" and Paul Rice replied, "You're lucky it didn't STOP beating!" [They lived to ages ninety-five and one hundred two-and-a-half]] Jack drove us home around three o'clock and returned to the docks as three transports were leaving that day December 25 with wounded and other high priority departing personnel. Movements were top secret, and his office had to notify departing personnel and dependents [families], who were not to tell their friends when they were leaving but stand by and be ready to go on twenty-four-hour notice. His assistants Wilfred Pang and Violet Ho and others handled many of the secret identifying phone calls. Dr. Paul Withington, Chaplains Thornton Miller, William Maguire, and Walter Mahler,. and Port Director Martin Derx worked closely with Jack and became good friends. This was probably the most important duty of Jack's career, as he had contact with thousands of persons. There was also considerable liaison with Honolulu shipping interests- a prominent businessman Frank Midkiff [also involved with Punah9u school]worked closely with Jack. Midkiff was in charge of civilian evacuation. He had lunch with Jack's brother Bill at the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company in Manhattan during a 1942 trip. Future Hawaiian Governer and Mrs. Samuel Wilder King, and Riley Allen, editor of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, became Jack's friends and appreciated the personal attention he gave many of their suggestions and requests. Jack worked under the Fourteenth Naval District Personnel Officer, Captain Lewis, who was a kamaaina permanent resident of Honolulu., who had been recalled from retirement. One of the first native Hawaiian social workers was Clorinda Low Lucas, whose father was a famous cow handler on the Parker cattle ranch near Mauna Kea. She gave Jack and the Transportation office advice on special needs of local people for evaucation, and we became acquainted when Jack told her of my previous experiene in social work. She also was involved in education and trusts administering native Hawaiian lands.Soon after the war started,the order came out for all Navy dependents to be evacuated. An exception then was made for those who declared Hawaii their permanent legal domicile and gave up any right of government transportation, so we made this declaration about June 1942. when more than ninety per cent of families had already been evacuated. In January 1942 Our family did not want to be separated, and our only home on the mainland would have been with Jack's eighty-seven-year old father.I received a letter from our old friend Mary Boyd, whose husband had served on the HANNIBAL 1933-1934. She mentioned her friend Madeleine Wagner, a Navy wife, and inquired if I knew anything about their safety. I called up Madeleine Wagner in Waikiki, and she was very glad to hear from me, as a friend of a good friend. She became very friendly with John, and before leaving gave him a favorite book,- Edward Huey's "A Child's Story of the Animal World", full of tales of the New Zealand sphenodon and other unusual animals such as hyraxes and poetry explaining how to tell antelopes from canteloups. At first Madeleine wanted to stay in the Islands and asked Jack to defer her evacuation. Then when her husband Dan Wagner got new orders, she requested evacuation and left. The great majority. of military dependents were eager to leave Hawaii as soon as possible. A minority had special reasons for wanting to stay in the Islands - usually permanent residents.We fell in the latter category,having no place to go on the mainland unless we tried to move in with Jack's sister and eighty-seven-year old father. We were dismayed by the order for all military dependents to leave the Islands. From our point of view it was fortunate that dependent evacuation was a relatively low priority matter, and the scarce shipping was needed for wounded, special hardship cases, and military personnel reassigned to other stations. Even so, over ninety per cent of the military dependents in Hawaii on December 7, l941 had left through Jack's office within six months. Jack tried to stay out of sight of Admiral Bloch, and John and I stayed away from Pearl Harbor and hoped no high-ranking officer would "get after" Jack and force him to hurry up and send us off. One of the Admirals did inquire after us several times to Jack's discomfort. After the Battle of Midway [June 4, 1942] the orders concerning dependents were liberalized, and those families who chose to be considered permanent residents were permitted to file declarations that they did not want transportation. Therefore our family was able to stay together during six years in the Islands. We missed the rigor of mainland food rationing although certain items were scarce such as the common mainland fresh fruits and vegetables. Foods we used included Campbell's chicken soup, Bird's Eye fresh frozen broccoli, peas, and corn, mangoes, weekly roastbeef, baking potatoes from the Navy Commissary, fresh oranges when available, and ground Chase and Sanborn coffee. We switched from percolator to Silex in 1942. Sophie used to write in pencil on the wall above the kitchen sink a thought from Mount Holyoke College Days, "Reputation is what others think of you. Character is what you think of yourself." She used to say "Ordinary minds talk about things. Better minds talk about people. Great minds talk about ideas." . p. 89 Along the Ala Wai Canal there were many pink and white shower trees and fine poincianas.Mynah birds were extremely common. A lost canary flew into our garage early in 1942, and after wondering how we might find the owner, we decided we would keep it. We also had eight goldfish and adopted a pigeon, which liked some cookies we gave it and developed into a pet with a loft on top of a lava pillar at the front of the semi-open garage. The pigeon was named Quove - an arbitrary collection of letters with a euphonious sound like cooing. The pigeon would sit outside the living room window and listen to people reading from the couch inside - apparently the vocal sounds were interesting. Jack got some remarkable photos of the pigeon listening at the window.Occasionally we put up the screen, and the pigeon would come in. Fleet Chaplain Maguire and his assistant Father Mahler saw the pigeon while at our house. They heard the tale of the pigeon following us to school at Thomas Jefferson elementary school in eastern Waikiki when John entered the first grade September 1942.Jack drove John to school in the morning, and I [Sophie] walked home with him in the afternoon. The pigeon often would follow along in the afternoon, walking behind and flying ahead. Father Maguire has a six page account of Jack and our family and Quove in his 1943 book, "The Captain Wears a Cross". He appreciated Jack's work finding space for hardship evacuees that Jack tried to help. Jack answered, "It's p. 90 the least I can do after your kindness in finding a room for my wife at the Wineglass boarding house when she arrived alone at Chefoo in 1931." Father Maguire mentions the pigeon in his book but adds a few fanciful details. Even so we were glad to show his book to friends and visitors after the war. = Going back to Memorial Day 1942 Chaplain Thornton Miller, another Navy chaplain, accepted a gift of a considerable number of flowers from our garden for the Punchbowl military cemetery in Honolulu, and some more were scattered at sea. John and I represented women and children at Memorial exercises that were otherwise attended only by military personnel. Chaplain Miller felt it would be symbolic to have one Navy wife and child there. = It was in June 1942 that we sent a large package of photographs to Grandpa Barrett and Mollie.We are glad to understand he saw and enjoyed them before his final illness in August.= After the Battle of Midway in early June insiders in the military were considerably more optimistic about the Pacific war, and the threat of invasion of Hawaiii or strikes at California receded.Guadalcanal and other hard fights were ahead, but Hawaii began to be a little further from the front line.An enormous volume of personnel and materiel funneled through the islands, and Jack's volume of outgoing Naval personnel grew steadily, and ship movements to the front were still highly [p 91] secret, though transportation to the mainland slowly became safer and less secret as to time of departure.Interior Secretry Harold Ickes fumed about the lack of transportation to and from Hawaii for permanent residents, but in general such requests were ignored even when VIPS were involved. Jack had on his desk typed "crying tickets" - "That slow dripping noise is my heart bleeding for you. Your troubles are unique. I have never heard anything like them.This ticket entitles you to one cry on the shoulders of the nearest chaplain." These cards maintained the morale of the office staff, who sometimes had to deal with very irate complaints.= There were a minority of high ranking officers who complained of shipboard facilities that were inferior to those they had been accustomed to in peacetime.Where possible Jack tried to give these officers a choice to two or three ships that might be available. In one case he apologized to a Captain who had a rather unsatisfactory passage on an Army transport and said he would keep Naval officers on Navy ships in the future.Against this on the other hand, there was a very large volume of appreciative mail from persons who felt that their needs had been handled in an imaginative and intelligent manner. The General Electric Company was very appreciative of the treatment accorded a party of their essential workers who had come to Pearl Harbor headed by Charles E. 92. Wilson. Their return was a real priority matter in the natinal interest and was handled smoothly. = The survivors of the PRINCETON, a ship with many wounded from combat experience, were evacuated as a group to the mainland and expressed their appreciation, naming Commander Jack Barrett and Lieutenant Commander Martin Williams very specially. Jack had to be firm in expediting ship departures and overruling bureaucrats who tried to delay personnel while they checked currency and tariff and health regulations. These people were not permitted to delay movement of personnel while performing their subordinate functions, though they sometimes tried. Hawaiian currency was used in the Islands during the was, with the letters H A W A I I printed on each dollar bill. There was a policy of requiring that these bills not be taken to the mainland. However, Jack refused to allow any unreasonable delay in personnel movement. = Captain John Wegforth, commanding officer of the Naval Air station at Ford Island, lived near us in Waikiki and sometimes played a Parker Brothers board game "Fire Chief" with John. Captain Dale Collins, whom Jack and I met in 1932 as First officer of the PRESIDENT PIERCE from Kobe, Japan to Naples, came whenever his ship was at Pearl Harbor to play chess with John, too. = Jake Oberholzer, the trunk man at the Moana Hotel, lived about six houses west of us on the Ala Wai Canal with Mr. and Mrs. Distelli - Louie and 'Tootsie'. In November 1942 Mr. Distelli, who sat in a wheel chair and had been a chef at the Royal Hawaiian hotel for many years, invited the three of us for Thanksgiving Dinner. Jake Oberholzer, his son Jack, a young couple from Manoa Valley, a young sailor, Jack, John, and I were guests of the Distellis, who gave us a fine roast turkey dinner. The woman from Manoa Valley cooked a special dough -93- dish, which some of us tasted and enjoyed, and Mr. Distelli baked a large potato for Jack because he knew Jack liked his potato baked.Since we had bought a turkey for Thanksgiving, I gave my turkey to Mrs. Distelli who cooked it for his famiy the following Sunday. I happened to mention to Mrs. Distelli that our maid Takeko, who was a citizen, had left to work at Pearl Harbor, and her successor Uri, also. To my surprise on Monday morning Mrs. Distelli came to my home with her feather duster and offered to clean my house free. I was delighted to have her help but insisted on paying her.-102- working hours of our men and because we were requested to use the telephone only in case of emergency. I did not see or hear from Lillian until April 1942. She drove to Waikiki one day in April, and when I told her that the cushions in the living room chairs neded replacement,she graciously and efficiently drove John and me to a downtown Japanese furniture store, where they agreed to re-cover the cushions and where we bought two wooden,unpainted, unfinished rocking chairs and three Philippine mahogany bookcases. Furniture of any kind was very scarce at that stage of the war, and I appreciated Lillian's taking us to a shop where she was known, and we bought the last two rocking chairs they had made in the place and the only three bookcases they had - also made on the premises. When in gratitude I invited her, Eddie, and their young daughter Eddie for dinner, Lillian refused, saying that Eddie was working day and night getting ready for an expected big battle shortly, and that she didn't dare drive aftr dark. Soon after the Battle of Midway, turning point of the war, [first week of June 1942]Lillian telephoned to me to say that the Battle of Midway was what Eddie had been preparing for, but that [at that time] she didn't dare whisper it even to me because, if things went badly at Midway, she didn't want to feel that she had leaked the word to anyone.We have some good snapshots of Mary Arroyo and John, but unfortunately we saw no more of them because in December, 1942, Eddie left for the mainland, suffering from arthritis. He retired permanently soon after, and they are living in New Orleans, Louisiana. = When John was in the third grade in October 1943 we spent Halloween at Mr. and Mrs. Barbour's house on Ohua Street. We have some photographs of Mr. and Mrs. Barbour and of John in a Halloween costume. [103]


98-1450 Truxtun-Tulsa 1930-31 from p 205 orders to TULSA


., A Yangtze river patrol boat which he could command would be more interesting to him as he could navigate thousands of miles up the river to many Chinese cities. However, in may l930 he went from the destroyer TRUXTUN to the gunboat TULSA stationed at Tientsin, North China. He was briefly Executive Officer until more senior Leonard Doughty arrived, but most of the time he was gunnery oficer l930-31, winning the Asiatic Fleet annueal gunnery competition spring-summer l931. This helped his promotion to Lieutenant Commander at the end of l931 after taking physical and written exams. Commander Paul Rice and Marines under William W. Paca contributed to the gunnery success.Jack discussed gunnery methods at Peking with his Revenue Cutter School friend William Rupertus, who was at Peking several years in Marines. Since the TULSA spent almost all of the time at dock in Tientsin on the Hai Ho River or when water was low thirty-five miles east at the dock at Taku Bar, Jack was able to make inquiry about having me join him in Tientsin.An old Navy friend of Jack's, whom I had met in New York,E.V. W. Keene was in charge of dependents' transportation, and when I went to see him June 23, l930,he was most kind and cooperative and told me he would look into transportation for me and would arrange for my typhoid and cholera shots and for my smallpox vaccination.At first he considered the Army transport GRANT going to Manila and advised Jack to investigate what transportation would be available from Manila to Chingwangtao.By July 25 Captain Keene and Jack had settled on Navy transport HENDERSON leaving Hampton Road, Virginia on August 20, l930 and arriving at Chingwangtao November 13, l930.I saw Captain Keene on July 25 and August 6. Among other things he gave me my transportation on the HENDERSON from HAMPton Roads Virginiia to Chingwangtao, China, gave me rail transportation from New York to Hampton Road Virginiia by Pullman sleeper the night of August 18, l930 - made sure I had all my shots and vaccination and gave me a special passport for travel in China and Japan.When I gave Macy's two wees notice that I was leaving for China they gave me one hundred (end p. 205 ++ PICTURE CAPTION PIOCTURE CAPTIONS p 17 Tientsin China winter l931 Sophie is wearing Manchurian fur coat. The fur buyers later brought news of the Japanese capture of Mudken, which Sophie telephoned to Captain Rice and the navy with first report.Paul Rice, who cmmanded gunboat TULSA l930-l932 at Tientsin lived to age 95 to l98l, and Gertrude born Dec. 3, l893 Juneau Alaska,. lived to age l02 1/2 to late July l996. Her daughter Nathalie is Mrs. Vernon Hawley, Saint Helena, California Sophie Meranski Barrett at Court Hotel preparing for New Year's party at Tientsin Country Club Dec. l931 Court Hotel was operated by an Australian lady Ms Moore in British Concession Tientsin on Elgin Avenue. Sophie watched rug making at Nichols factory in russian concession tonthe north - then bought Chinese rugs at outlet in Peking.Nov. l931.Sophie got in touch with Mount Holyoke Club of North China - Mrs. Faison Jordon helpd make the contact with Mrs. Evans of the club, and Sophie's l925 student Grace Liang was daughter of diplomat and customs- railroad official M.T. Liang, who was Jack Barrett's guest with his wife for dinner aboard gunboat TULSA - a rare honor for a Chinese in l931.Sophie met American writer Nora Waln and her British husband who ran the Tientsin post office. The British chief of Police Mr. Isemonger and his daughter Tina were frequent visitors at the Court Hotel. Sophie had a pretty white rabbit-fur coat she bought in Shanghai, but it shed too much fur on Jack's uniform so she discarded it. During her trip she carefully studied Emily Post's "Etiquette" book to prepare for the formal entertainment and correspondence expected of navy Wives.One TULSA wife Rachel Claude Doughtie told how her mother's Maryland family the Claudes had a visitor who " came for the weekend and stayed for forty years.#136 p 17 CAPTION p 46 w1002 Jack at Court Hotel At lower right is a shiny, round table-like object, which Sophie referred to as a "drum." She believed they were made of some sort of durable heavy paper. The Barretts purchased a pair of these while in Tientsin 1930-1931 and had them in their living rooms with the Chinese rugs first at 422 Columbia Road, Dorchester, Boston 1932-3; then at Stradone Road, Bala Cynwyd near Philadelphia l937-8, 9615 Shore Road Brooklyn 1939-l941 and at 52 Emmonsdale Road, West Roxbury from Thanksgiving Day l947 when they moved in, until Chinese materials were stolen in l976.Information on the style or history of these and other Chinese furniture will be welcome. p 18 w137 rickshaw Chefoo w 138 sea otter coat Peking w139 Tientsin Country Club After l993 thefts of desks, bureaus, furniture, books and papers in West Roxbury l993, this is the only remaining photo of an outstanding group taken by Mr. Isemonger spring l931 at Tientsin Country Club. He arrived at Tientsin after the Barretts early l931 probably from India and became chief of police in British concession of Tientsin, where Court Hotel was located.He was a frequent luncheon visitor to the Court Hotel, sometimes accompanied by his daughter Tina.He was frequently helpful to both Jack and Sophie, obtaining bottled drinking water for Sophie to take aboard a commercial freighter on which Sophie followed the TULSA south on its l931 Asiatric Fleet annual cruise, but this was one of a number of situations where Sophie found it necessary as a newly married young Navy wife to avoid too much close contact with unmarried men, where European and American women were few in number. Nonetheless the loss of the Tientsin Country Club photos was a great disappointment, and also a group of photos of Sophie taken at Yamamoto studios Tientsin. p 18 #139 p 64 w1160 rickshaw Chefoo from negative 1931--p 37 w924 Dec 31,1930 -December 31, l930 detail of costume party Teintsin country club - Jack at left - Sophie at right - lady between unidentified. Sophie wore a rabbit's-fur jacket she had bought at Shanghai- she liked it until she found it was shedding fur on Jack's blue Navy uniform, so this New Year's party at Tientsin Country Club was the last time she wore it.Friends in Tientsin included Paul, Gertrude and Nathalie Rice, Army Dr. and Mrs. Mendelssohn, Mr. and Mrs. "Bunny" Warren, Mrs. Evans of Mount Holyoke Club of north china, Grace Liang Mount Holyoke 1925 ( later Mrs. Dan Yapp), and Grace;s father and mother of Elgin Avenue- Mr. eismonger - chief of police in British concession -a Danish gentlman who collected Chinese coins- American fur buyers who brought first word of Japanese aggression at Mukden Manchuria September 19, l931, Narine |William W. Paca of TULSA, Cdr. and Mrs. Leonard & Rachel Doughty and Dr. Supan of TULSA. Elsewhere in China Barretts saw William Rupertus |US Marine corps in Peking, Chaplain William Maguie at Chefoo, sisters Maimie and Mickey Ashley and their adopted Chinese daughter at Shanghai. --p 36 w918-"Center of Universe" Peking #918 -Sophie visited Peking twice, February 1931 as tourist and November 1931 when Jack proceeded there for physical examination for promotion to Lieutenant Commander. That autumn he studied for the p[romotion exam, and was helped by exceptionally favorable fitness report from gunboat TULSA's Commander Paul Rice, based in part on outstanding performance of the ship in Asiatic Fleet annual gunnery competition near Chefoo in summer 1931- Jack Barrett was TULSA gunnery officer and worked with Marines under William W. Paca, later Commander of Camp Caitlin Oahu l944-l946. At PekingSophie met Marine William Rupertus, who had recently lost wife and daughter with scarlet fever. Rupertus was working on gunnery problems, and Jack had several visits with his former Revenue Cutter School ITASCA shipmate during 1930 and 1931.-p 29 w863 The Gunboat TULSA was "the northernmost ship of the Asiatic Fleet, kept in North China for intelligence purposes, Jack Barrett used to say. Its normal station was on the Hai Ho river at Tientsin. In November l930 and spring l931 it put to sea to participate in Asiatic Fleet maneuvers, and in the spring of l931 when Jack Barrett was Gunnery officer and William Paca in charge of Marines, the TULSA won fleet gunnery competition. Colmmander Rice delayed the November l930 sailing of the TULSA one day so Jack Barrett could meet Sophie on her November 13 arrival after a three month Pacific voyage on big Navy transport HENDERSON. This photo was taken near Chefoo during a picnic about June 1931.Paul Rice l886-l981 was an Annapolis classmate of Hawaii governor Samuel Wilder King, the first native Hawaiian to attend the Naval Academy, and of Floyd Sexton, who became a Coast Guard Admiral, World War II. His wife Gertrude was born Dec. 3, l893 in Juneau Alaska and lived to age 102 and a half to July l996. Their daughter Nathalie is Mrs. Vernon Hawley, St. Helena, Napa Valley California.